Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 14-02-2020, 08:03 AM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Itís only recently that three ball flight laws are understood. When i was taught the opposite of what is true was gospel. I never really believed it though.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 14-02-2020, 08:11 AM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
So guys - how many swing thoughts do you have when playing?
I think I have 1 generally but should have 2, and when I have 2 I hit the better shot. The 1 is turning the back to a limiting, not to overswing, and the second is staying steady going through, the old "hit against a firm left side" thing, rotation and getting the hands through it. I think it's hard to describe but you know my swing so you should have an idea what I'm on about, and you can see in March.

I'm shooting decent scores, worst this season so far is 78, best 70. Most dropped shots are because my chipping is inconsistent, haven't been able work on that this season.
Old 14-02-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
. It's so difficult to practice the short game at this time of the year

What do people say to the idea of only ever using 1 club for all your chipping? The idea being that you get so used to that club, a bit like your putter, that it takes the confusion out of the game. A few pros do this, including Lowry.
Agreed. Not only is the weather crap and days too short, if not on temporary greens but the ground is so soft the chips need to be deadly accurate because the bounce of the club doesn't work, it just digs in. Lots of fats and thins. I resort to the 'Gary Player' methods in winter golf now, just 'putt' with a 7/8/9 iron. I literally do treat it like a putt, very square and no wrist. I'm talking about 15 yards and under here really, it's just to get the ball rolling.

In wind I do a lot of half shot punches with longer clubs for sub-100 yard approaches, it's just safer, everything stops on the greens anyway.
Old 14-02-2020, 10:49 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I think I have 1 generally but should have 2, and when I have 2 I hit the better shot. The 1 is turning the back to a limiting, not to overswing, and the second is staying steady going through, the old "hit against a firm left side" thing, rotation and getting the hands through it. I think it's hard to describe but you know my swing so you should have an idea what I'm on about, and you can see in March.

I'm shooting decent scores, worst this season so far is 78, best 70. Most dropped shots are because my chipping is inconsistent, haven't been able work on that this season.
Blimey. That's proper golf!
Old 14-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Yep, don't think I'll play against Spindle any time soon.
Old 14-02-2020, 11:28 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Is the Ďzoneí some kind of outside influence that visits people from time to time and then disappears of its own accord?
Good question... I just know that the 2 times it happened everything just fell into place and couldn't do no wrong, so yes probably was some outside influence!
Old 14-02-2020, 03:45 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
How's your job at Riviera going, Hedgehog?
Old 14-02-2020, 09:50 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
How's your job at Riviera going, Hedgehog?
Just finished my last "shift".

I was working at the main entrance, scanning tickets. To be honest it was pretty hard work (I know it doesn't sound that hard), but I'm knackered!

I couldn't even be bothered to go and watch any of the golf today as I'm too tired at the end of my shift at 10:30am. Been getting up at 2:30am to drive 35 miles to an offsite parking area, and getting a shuttle bus to the course, arriving around 5:00am. They provide some coffee and some pastries and we had to get ready at 5:30am for the gates to open at 6:00am.

"Patrons" had to park off site also and be bused in, which meant the intake of people ebbed and flowed with the arrival of the buses (maybe 40 to 50 at a time at the peak). There was usually 3 to 5 of us, and 5 metal scanner lanes which were akin to getting through security at an airport less the x-ray.

It went from bloody freezing at 5:30 to getting sun burnt after 9:00am. People either had paper tickets which I did not have one problem with or QR Codes on their phones, which only seemed to work 75% of the time either due to people having cracked screen, the sun effecting the scanner (having to make shade) or the scanners themselves taking a dump. A lot of people also had trouble finding the scannable code on their phones! A lot of frustrated and impatient people! At time it was like trying to round up chickens that escaped from the hen house!

I don't think I'll be too interested in doing this again, unless I can do something more golf related. I was talking to some other volunteers this morning and they were taking the driving range balls and sorting them into buckets by make and type, and them giving them to the individual players who use a specific brand ball/type. Sounds like this might be a little more interesting, and you actually get to see/interact with the players... Next year maybe.

All this fun, and you get to pay them $85 for a Nike Shirt, Outer garment and Cap all with "Genesis Invitational" on them. Free offsite parking and 4 free any day tickets for friends or relatives. As a volunteer you get full course access except the club house any day, and a food and drink coupon for use at any of the food stands, except the up market ones. I was just getting a very small hot dog, and bag of crisps and a bottle of Coke (very little choice).

Despite 10% of the "patrons" being a-holes at least 50% were very nice, polite and understanding of the technical issues. Also the people on our "team" were great including the two leaders. I also heard a lot of English and Australian accents while I was scanning. Many wanted to stop and chat, but just wasn't feasible. Only "wanker" I saw was wearing a Liverpool shirt... surprised no Manchester United ones, which is good! Oh, and one England rugby shirt.

I bet you are sorry you asked!
Old 14-02-2020, 10:56 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
... The rest looked pretty box standard to me, with a few trees, but not dense like. Golf courses always look so different when you take the crowds away.
Odd, watching this on TV there looks a lot of trees, but walking the coarse it does not give that impression. The holes around the periphery have them on the boarder side, but out in the center there really didn't seem that many... maybe all about perspective.
Old 14-02-2020, 11:39 PM

Del Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: The trees - perhaps this time of the year some species are not yet in bloom? But generally agree with you about seeing adjoining fairways throughout the course
Old 14-02-2020, 11:48 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Martian View Post
Re: The trees - perhaps this time of the year some species are not yet in bloom? But generally agree with you about seeing adjoining fairways throughout the course
Yes, even on TV there are a lot of foliage free trees.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Yep, don't think I'll play against Spindle any time soon.
I'm still the shittest golfer in my family....
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
The Spiky One

This maybe me just getting senile, and not playing a round of golf regularly for a good few years, but have they changed the rules about having the flag in the hole while putting on the green.

I noticed a few players keeping the flag in when putting lately. I thought you could have someone tend the flag for you and pull it out as the ball approached the hole, but if it was left in and you hole the putt it is a penalty. Putting from off the green is OK.

Anyone?
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Good question... I just know that the 2 times it happened everything just fell into place and couldn't do no wrong, so yes probably was some outside influence!
Donít be a victim of circumstance. Take control of your thoughts. Confidence isnít something that descends from above - why wait for it?
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
This maybe me just getting senile, and not playing a round of golf regularly for a good few years, but have they changed the rules about having the flag in the hole white putting on the green.

I noticed a few players keeping the flag in when putting lately. I thought you could have someone tend the flag for you and pull it out as the ball approached the hole, but if it was left in and you hole the putt it is a penalty. Putting from off the green is OK.

Anyone?
The rules have changed Hedge - last year. Not always those that are farthest from the hole to putt first either. Itís those who are ready.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
The rules have changed Hedge - last year. Not always those that are farthest from the hole to putt first either. It’s those who are ready.
Thanks! Obviously I haven't watched much golf in the last few years.

It just didn't look right and got me thinking I was going nuts.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Donít be a victim of circumstance. Take control of your thoughts. Confidence isnít something that descends from above - why wait for it?
I'll bare that in mind Confucius!
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yes, even on TV there are a lot of foliage free trees.
Say hi to Yamaki for me
Old Today, 02:02 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
It's pretty exclusive when it comes to members and surrounding etc.. But driving around the course yesterday it really does not seem that "spectacular". A few elevated tees (i.e. The 1st) and a bit of a links like 18th. The rest looked pretty box standard to me, with a few trees, but not dense like.
Apparently it's a lot more difficult than it looks. As the scores attest to in pretty benign conditions.

Congrats to Adam Scott who finally got the real thing to go with his rain shortened win here 15 years ago!
Old Today, 02:15 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Say hi to Yamaki for me
I assume you mean The Riviera Country Club corporate officer Michael R. Yamaki?

Afraid I missed him... next time I'll look for him and say adrenalin john says Hi!

Probably be removed and given a retaining order... but hey ho, what the hey!