Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 13-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
The easiest way to avoid relegation is to follow one of the Big Six. No need to be ashamed, let Sky embrace you and you'll never be downhearted again.
Old 13-02-2020, 12:45 PM

Ticehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTicehurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Roy won't change his bloody ways..and after this run he's likely to get even more pragmatic,he's not going to start opening up now...442 would be our best shot get balls into the likes bentekie etc .have ayew just behind bentekie so he can drop into midfield to link play when needed badly need check in there gives us legs and also more height at set pieces surely a team as poor as us scoring wise should be working 24-7 on our set pieces but we can't get that right either..so the back five picks itself..then I'd go with zaha Luka koyate Andros with ayew just behind bentekie or tosun...that's a team that should not be in a relegation battle this season so I'm looking at the manager and his formation and tactics if we don't get over the line.
Old 13-02-2020, 12:47 PM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
The easiest way to avoid relegation passed us by when we slept through another transfer window.
Old 13-02-2020, 12:50 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
The easiest way to avoid relegation is to follow one of the Big Six. No need to be ashamed, let Sky embrace you and you'll never be downhearted again.
Sounds very Bwighton!
Old 13-02-2020, 12:56 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
We’ve won seven games in the league this season.

In every one of those games, Ayew has started up top and Benteke hasn’t started at all.

Is this just an amazing coincidence?

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 13-02-2020, 01:01 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesteagle View Post
12 games

3 wins 1 draw 8 defeats or 10 draws 2 defeats?

Simple equation yet we still persist with our safety first pack the midfield team selection

Roy the stats do not lie our team formation is not getting the best out of our players it hasn’t ALL SEASON

26 games and we have failed to score in the 45 mins of 21 of them
No goals in the first 15 mins of ANY game
No clean sheets in 10
BOTTOM of current form table
LOWEST number of shots on target if any PL team

We need only 10 points the competition gives you 3 times the point value for scoring more goals than the opposition

SO PLEASE CAN WE PLAY TO OUR ATTACKING STRENGTHS FOR GOODNESS SAKE
What attacking strengths? Our entire ethos has been to let Zaha do about 80% of everything we need up front, with the 'other' winger ( be it Bolasie, Puncheon or Andros ) doing about another 15% and have James McArthur chip in with the other five percent of our creativity. The entire midfield and the striker role are there primarily to feed the wingers. The rare exception is Schlupp has played a vital 'bit part' in scoring the odd, individual goal.

We are down to one fit and not-fully-committed winger and McArthur is past his best. All the club's stupid fault. The main thing is Zaha isn't saving us all by himself anymore so what else do we have? A plethora of defensive midfielders and nobody to even effectively swing over set pieces so we can at least snatch wins, Wimbledon-style, like when we had Dann and Delaney.

The club's choice to invest everywhere except creativity in the middle and to paralyze us financially on massive outlays to Benteke and Sahko when they were never solutions to the central problem of creativity are integral to the slow slide we are on. Yes, Andros has been injured but a club with its brains far enough into its tail that it never evolves from an uber-reliance on wing play and yet also only has two quality wingers, is stupid enough that blundering into a tar pit is inevitable.

The only blame we can attach to Roy, IMHO, is the fact he won't abandon wing-centric play, try Zaha next to the striker ( like the period Benteke scored most of his goals under Fat Sam ) and play a passer like Meyer or Camarasa ( oops, too late ) or Ayew in behind. But he clearly thinks dragging the dead weight of our Championship-level ( and that is being generous ) creativity over the line, via playing the way we do, is the safest course. He's probably right too. Short of Andros coming back and setting the world on fire, Roy doesn't have many options. My bet that we would struggle to get more than thirty goals all season is still a possibility but that's what happens when you complacently refuse to step away from making a single player your saviour year-upon-year and one day he stops.

Last edited by SOUTHGATE EAGLE; 13-02-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 13-02-2020, 01:03 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

In every one of those games, Ayew has started up top and Benteke hasn’t started at all.

It is a good point. Must feel sorry for Ayew who has gone from one of POTY and influential players when playing up top to be shoved on the wing to accomodate Tosun and now Benteke? Meanwhile, Wilf and others (Luka & PVA) wont be shifted around to accomodate anyone
Old 13-02-2020, 01:09 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
It is a good point. Must feel sorry for Ayew who has gone from one of POTY and influential players when playing up top to be shoved on the wing to accomodate Tosun and now Benteke? Meanwhile, Wilf and others (Luka & PVA) wont be shifted around to accomodate anyone
I just feel in football, you hit upon a formation and team line up sometimes, that on paper might not seem your best, but the chemistry and balance means it works somehow. We look better as a unit with Ayew up top and he plays so much better.

I doubt we’ll see him there again this season due to Tosun and Benteke, and this worries me. Have to say, when we got Tosun, i was happy we finally had a reliable big guy and runner up top that will chip in with a few goals, but did worry that we were going to break something that didn’t need fixing.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 13-02-2020, 01:10 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chateauferret View Post
The easiest way to avoid relegation passed us by when we slept through another transfer window.
Yes. CAM, RB, winger and striker ( one achieved only and CAM not even attempted again ) and we should have been able to get well over 40 pts. The fact is we still have a great defence and plenty of DM options. A little investment and thinking and we'd be home and dry. ( basically, what we've needed for a good few years now )
Old 13-02-2020, 01:11 PM
N14 and not so proud...

Quote:
I just feel in football, you hit upon a formation and team line up sometimes, that on paper might not seem your best, but the chemistry and balance means it works somehow. We look better as a unit with Ayew up top and he plays so much better.

I doubt we’ll see him there again this season due to Tosun and Benteke, and this worries me. Have to say, when we got Tosun, i was happy we finally had a reliable big guy and runner up top that will chip in with a few goals, but did worry that we were going to break something that didn’t need fixing.
Perhaps Roy feels Ayew is needed on the wing, with Townsend's injury? Not that I think he will get the No9 role back anyway with Tosun here.
Old 13-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
Perhaps Roy feels Ayew is needed on the wing, with Townsend's injury? Not that I think he will get the No9 role back anyway with Tosun here.

That’s the thing ... if Tosun works well then I have no issue with Ayew on the wing.

If he does not, then stop pissing about with Benteke up front and get Ayew up there.

Ayew was a shoe in for POTY... then moved out wide.

Jairo was playing well, then immediately dropped when PVA came back.

Of course Roy is vastly experienced, but he is so stubborn.
Old 13-02-2020, 01:41 PM
N14 and not so proud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisophiex View Post
That’s the thing ... if Tosun works well then I have no issue with Ayew on the wing.

If he does not, then stop pissing about with Benteke up front and get Ayew up there.

Ayew was a shoe in for POTY... then moved out wide.

Jairo was playing well, then immediately dropped when PVA came back.

Of course Roy is vastly experienced, but he is so stubborn.
Hopefully Tosun does well and we have Townsend back on the wing!

I hope Benteke wasn't 'preferred' to Ayew because I'd worry for Roy's sanity at that point. While I think playing someone alongside Benteke makes him a real asset, we will never try that and Benteke being used in a lone role hasn't been half as effective as Ayew. I imagine Roy moved Ayew to the wing since we had no other fit winger rather than a preference for Benteke. Still think Zaha and Benteke up front, with Ayew or Meyer behind, is a real option but unlikely to be attempted.

Jairo must feel kicked in the balls too but, let's be honest, we are at a point these days that our second most creatively influential player is PVA, a right back. I'd love to see Jairo played centrally but his passing ability would be limited to giving the ball to Zaha so may as well keep a better tackler in the middle and sell him next summer so we can buy a strong-tackling thirty-something who can pass to the wing.
Old 13-02-2020, 03:23 PM
FFS 4.4.2!!

GRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Away.....Defend and hit on counter with pace
Home.... Press high up and attack attack attack!! Do not sit back and hope!!
Have a plan B off the bench for each game.

Sorted.
Old 13-02-2020, 03:56 PM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Don’t play Benteke .

Ayew & ZAHA up front straight down the middle , Townsend & Schlupp wide .

Then , Tosun & Ayew up front with ZAHA & Townsend wide .

Ps don’t play Benteke .
Old 13-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
I think we need 4 in midfield with 2 up top. 3 and 3 isnt working. We also could do with Sako and Shlupp back as we lack a decent passer from the back which Sahko can do and we lack a midfielder who will carry the ball forward and can shoot, which Shlupp can do. Playing Luka and the 2 Macs is way too defensive and the 3 up top are fighting and losing for scraps. If you notice every ball that is cleared to half way is generally claimed unchallenged by the opposition.
Old 13-02-2020, 04:25 PM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycombe Eagle#2 View Post
That's scary and all of a sudden reminded me of Dowies season.

We had to win matches and he still persisted in playing one up top against teams where we could get points. Remember Blackburn away towards the end fans crying out for Ships to be put on. Persisted in the 4-5-1 trying to nick a result and lost.

Hope history doesn't repeat itself.
It is ...time to shit our pants!
Old 13-02-2020, 06:01 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
A few simple changes

Ayew playing behind Benteke with Wilf and Andros wide. Roy loves Benteke and he actually played well vs Everton. Whether he can keep this up who knows.

Kouyate back centrally - need his energy. Probably couple with McCarthur though Schlupp would be ideal once returned.

Then have a whole host of options from the bench to go more solid whilst still offering a threat with Tosun later in the game.
Benteke should not be in the starting 11. As it is, Ayew has been shoved out wide where he won't score, and what would the point of having Tosun be?
Old 13-02-2020, 08:36 PM
old git

pallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is here
Err just finish 4th from.bottom
Old 13-02-2020, 09:53 PM

Seanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Nope, Fact: plain an simple!
How long can Roy ignore it?
Beyond a joke
Old 13-02-2020, 10:05 PM
mikeb

mikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Score more goals than the oppo easiest way I know to avoid relegation