Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 14-02-2020, 12:34 AM

Glazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOhio View Post
If Guaita doesn't fumble one into the goal, we're sitting in tenth right now .

And if Kelly doesn’t gift Soton a goal, and Ward doesn’t gift Wolves a goal, we’re level on points with Moan U. Just saying.
Old 14-02-2020, 06:22 AM

Sharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Pick up 11 more points. That should do it.
Old 14-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I just feel in football, you hit upon a formation and team line up sometimes, that on paper might not seem your best, but the chemistry and balance means it works somehow. We look better as a unit with Ayew up top and he plays so much better.

I doubt we’ll see him there again this season due to Tosun and Benteke, and this worries me. Have to say, when we got Tosun, i was happy we finally had a reliable big guy and runner up top that will chip in with a few goals, but did worry that we were going to break something that didn’t need fixing.
Spot on. There seems to be an insistence with our hierachy that we need strikers, when the reality is we need more creative, flair players.

Ayew was my player of the season until he recently got dumped out wide to try and accommodate Tosun and now bloody Benteke. If we had signed a wide player in the last 5-6 transfer windows (yes they've had that long to find one) then it wouldnt have been a problem.

There is a massive blind spot at the club about this position. Im not sure who is to blame exactly but it will be our downfall.
Old 14-02-2020, 08:59 AM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The frustration felt is that not so long ago we were doing well and moved up to 7th and that without a goalscorer made it even more incredible, unfortunately since then it has been all downhill mainly due to our lack of goalscoring.
So based on the above what that tells us is we have been solid at the Back which as good as picks itself when all fit, workman like in in Midfield but which needs some flair introduced so as we are more creative, hence why i wold bring back Meyer for the rest of the season as he needs regular playing time to shine, a gamble yes as he has not fully produced what we expected to date but he is the only flair option we have, but we also have ensure we maintain the right balance and solidity in midfield.
However, its upfront where our troubles start as we are woeful in Attack and that is where we need to focus on improving for our lack of goals so a slight tweek in our playing system upfront for the final weeks of the season may give those extra goals that ensures our safety.
We now have in Tosun potentially a striker that can add the missing ingredients needed upfront i.e pace, good movement along with awareness/sharpness but importantly is capable of taking half chances all of what is needed when playing with a Sole Striker, but he will also need supporting coming from behind to make us more a threat.
But to have players like McCarthy, Luka and Townsend on the bench is a real bonus.
This is how i would like to see our starting lineup with players that can also interchange positions so as to make us less predictable.

..........................................Guiata.. .................................................. ...........

............Ward...................Tomkins........ ......Cahill........................PVA........... .......

................Meyer....................Kouyate.. ............McArthur...................Ayew....... ......

.................................................. .......Zaha.......................................

............................................Tosun. .....................................
Old 14-02-2020, 09:06 AM

Joe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is Ayew this world class striker you are all describing who is going to change our season once moved back up top? Not for me. I've seen a hard working committed player who has had a reasonably good season. Much better than expected judging by last season's performances but that's about all. Yes he runs around a lot and does his best, but he has scored 6 goals all season and a couple of those had an air of fortune. He just doesn't shoot often enough to be your main attacking option.

I'm all for trying Ayew behind either Benteke or Tosun. Our poor form is due to this rigid formation that Roy insists upon has become stale and is just not working anymore. We just don't have the options to think switching one player for another is going to make a difference. We have to try changing the tactics.
Old 14-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Probationary User

snowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behindsnowman will leave the TV and the radio behind
you could put any formation you like together and they wont score many goals because they are simply not good enough. I hope I am proved wrong but what I have seen of Tosun admittedly only on the box I dont believe he is going to make a great deal of difference.
Old 14-02-2020, 03:08 PM
www.chrisbrownjazz.com

Chrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
you could put any formation you like together and they wont score many goals because they are simply not good enough. I hope I am proved wrong but what I have seen of Tosun admittedly only on the box I dont believe he is going to make a great deal of difference.
Interesting, I was very optimistic about the times we've seen him for us thought he looked great. Although that is relative to having watched Benteke for so long..
Old 14-02-2020, 03:27 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissayy View Post
Interesting, I was very optimistic about the times we've seen him for us thought he looked great. Although that is relative to having watched Benteke for so long..
Our best chance in recent weeks was a 1 on 1 at 0-0 in the first half against Southampton, it was an absolute banker, and Tosun missed it horribly (hopefully a one off).

Our creativity is an issue, but with our lack of a clinical finisher I feel like giving up chances to simply create some is a recipe for disaster. I know it's not an exact science, but logic suggests to create more, we would likely surrender more.

We have the worst 'strike force' in the league and giving every other team 3/4 extra opportunities a game so ours have 3/4 more seems like such a risky move. I don't think fans will come back singing the praises of Hodgson and the players if we have 18 shots against Brighton and lose 2-1 to their 3 shots, or 30+ shots and draw 0-0.

I know the age old adage, 'You don't shoot, you don't score' well we don't score even when we do shoot
Old 14-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
It's worth harking back to autumn 2018, I think. We were creating a lot of chances, failing to put them away, and also losing: I felt that that - and if I wanted to pinpoint a date, I would say it was that week when we lost to Brighton and West Ham - was the point at which Roy decided we couldn't play the same way, without Cabaye or Ruben, and be safe from relegation. The set up changed thereafter, and so did the personnel.
Old 14-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
It's worth harking back to autumn 2018, I think. We were creating a lot of chances, failing to put them away, and also losing: I felt that that - and if I wanted to pinpoint a date, I would say it was that week when we lost to Brighton and West Ham - was the point at which Roy decided we couldn't play the same way, without Cabaye or Ruben, and be safe from relegation. The set up changed thereafter, and so did the personnel.
The Leicester and Man City wins followed, playing ultra compact, and then Cardiff where we went for it again, registered 30+ shots and a 2.43xG, finishing 0-0, but very nearly lost it in the last minute but for a Guiata wonder save.

Playing more offensively and creating chances with the same strike force hasn't resulted in goals before, to try it again would be a risk.
Old 14-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. I have been saying for a while that I think Roy is the problem, but would probably go a bit further than that. The issue is with the midfield that Roy has been picking just does not offer anything going forwards.

Defensively the team is probably performing in line or above expectations, but the style of play we adopt does not suit the midfielders we are playing. Luka, McArthur and McCarthy are not players that can transition the ball either quickly enough or successfully enough to be effective in our overall system - hence the lack of anything close to acceptable in terms of attacking returns.

There are probably two approaches that we could take - play more "footballers" in midfield who allow us to transition the ball quicker and more effectively, or play in a different style - more direct, getting the ball forward first and then getting people up to support.