Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 12-11-2002, 10:33 AM

as216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego way
Just watched it this morning - thought it was brilliant, and of course the first episodes are rarely the best in a series.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:36 AM

ammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for you
My fears were founded - it does seem to be a series too far.

I am not comfortable with the unneccessary aging of Alan.

A second series of chat seems to be the only way of redeeming the great man.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Absolute shower

Steven Baxter. is playing for a contract
I thought the catalogue East European girlfriend was superb, especially Partridge's delirious "Look, she's not stopping me!" and "Guess which one of you two ladies I'm going to make love to in a minute?"

I also enjoyed the part where he was talking about attacking the bully: "If I had a Twix I'd shove one finger in your eye, one in your mouth, and one...no, that would mean breaking into another pack. I'd break both fingers in two, stick one in your eye, one in your mouth and one up your arse, then save the other piece for myself. But I might wash my hands first."
Old 12-11-2002, 10:40 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Just for you Richard - I thought it was good for an opener. I was afraid I would feel let down, like I was by League Series 3, but i think the five year break (God that time went quick) made it easier for him to come back. So much could have happened to him in that time (and indeed did), whereas if it had been 12 months ago I think it would be more laboured.

Liked alot of the one liners "cashback" (with the little gripping hips and shagging action) and "back of the net" etc. Thought he looked suitably gross when he had put on weight a couple of years ago and it was nice to see Michael, now working in the service station, still in the series. ("I'm not allowed to hit customers. The manager said so").

All in all, worth the wait I felt. Lets see if it can be sustained or even improved upon in subsequent episodes.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:42 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Message for aamillner - shut it!
Old 12-11-2002, 10:49 AM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
No - I did enjoy it ... but as always anticipation was the problem. I had been looking forward to the series for so long, and with such enthusiasm, that the result was almost bound to disappoint.

I would have liked to have seen Partridge back on TV in another chat show.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:42 PM

Location: Skibbereen / Schinken/ Trá Lí/ an Aerbus / But I'm still behind Stav.
JohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Great minds think alike (fools never differ?) I too would love to see the chat show back.

Rebecca Front, Patrick Marber & David Schneider are excellent actors.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:46 PM
A rare visitor

...not forgetting Doon McGeechan (spelling?). Anyway, its not going to happen! He doesnt do that sh*t anymore
Old 12-11-2002, 12:48 PM
Doing nothing is a choice

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
How about Alan and David Brent joining forces to do management seminars? Alan talks about how he has bounced back and David can give it his motivational talk!
Old 12-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Die seife bitte fräulein!

anti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Lom
When episodes of M*A*S*H ran in the US, they all contained canned laughter which was subsequently removed when aired in the UK. I remember one episode that ran with it still in and the Beeb apologised for the oversight at the end of the programme. That episode was definately spoiled by the canned laughter, the dry and black humour was cheapened by it and it just gets in the way.
MASH is on Paramount at the moment with the canned laughter. All the episodes are in a wierd order too, just like Seinfield
Old 12-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Pretty poor I thought. Cougan's problem is he can't act so moving it on from a chat show format to a straight sitcom was always going to expose his weaknesses. Even the okay lines like 'back of the net' were spoiled by Coogan's crap acting. The support characters were very lazily written, just like the targets - like digital TV - which have been done to death everywhere else.

Mind you, I always thought Alan Partridge was more single sketch material, like a member of the Fast Show cast, than a properly fleshed out character as with David Brent.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Quote:
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Pretty poor I thought. Cougan's problem is he can't act so moving it on from a chat show format to a straight sitcom was always going to expose his weaknesses. Even the okay lines like 'back of the net' were spoiled by Coogan's crap acting. The support characters were very lazily written, just like the targets - like digital TV - which have been done to death everywhere else.

Mind you, I always thought Alan Partridge was more single sketch material, like a member of the Fast Show cast, than a properly fleshed out character as with David Brent.
I think that's a pretty poor review all round myself. He portrays a crass character, thus the execution of the man's lines are going to be exactly like they are, forced.
"The West Stand has a reputation as a party area and we've got to break that. We've put together a series of measures to ensure that those people who want to watch cricket are not disrupted by those who are simply there to have a good time"The Times, back page, Wed 5 Aug 2009
Old 12-11-2002, 02:38 PM
A rare visitor

"Cougan's problem is he can't act so moving it on from a chat show format to a straight sitcom was always going to expose his weaknesses. "

Regardless of whether its Coogan or AN Other, thats a crass thing to say. Do you not think that the chat show was acted then? I am sorry if I shatter your illusions Elephant but the chat show was make believe too, he PLAYED a chat show host and all the characters were invented. Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
The point, and I suspect you know it already, is that in the chat show format he plays a character who is himself on show, full of one-dimensional artifice and all that, whereas in the sitcom, he has to play the same charcater off-piste, in a variety of situations encompassing a variety of emotions, which surely requires fleshing out.

Ricky Gervaise also plays a crass character but his acting is such that he comes across as a real crass character, not a renegade from a sketch show. Harry Enfield fdalls into the same boat as Coogan. He's okay at acting when he does short scenes with characters who spout cliche, but when he has to extend the joke, as in his recent Mick Jagger thing, his acting can't cut it.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Yes, but Ricky Gervais's character is real, whereas Coogan's is uber real. If you watch them both in interviews as themselves, there are many traits of personality that end up in their characters. Gervais is also in a mock documentary as someone bombastic and whilst Coogan is also 'affected' as Partridge, he has no camera to play up to.
"The West Stand has a reputation as a party area and we've got to break that. We've put together a series of measures to ensure that those people who want to watch cricket are not disrupted by those who are simply there to have a good time"The Times, back page, Wed 5 Aug 2009
Old 12-11-2002, 02:56 PM
A rare visitor

I think Coogan plays AP well both in the chat show AND in the sitcom. His character is meant to be naive and always seeking to impress, get attention or acceptance. The reason that the performance may not appear well rounded is because Alan Partridge is not a well rounded character, he has flaws, and plenty of them.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:02 PM
Man and beast

I do understand that, Al.

If we can't agree on Partridge, how about the minor characters? They were poor last night, you have to admit, and I think that gives a clue as to the laziness running through the whole show. Again, to compare them with the support cast of The Office is revealing, I think.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Guns of Navarone

I think that the supporting cast of the Office is superb. I also thought that the look on Lynne's face when the woman explained what watersports were was absolutely brilliant.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:11 PM
A rare visitor

They had "minor" parts to play. I thougght it was by and large about establishing where AP has been for the past few years. Geordie Michael and Lynn returned, and both were good in the original series. The teachers? Well, they were...teachers really. The girlfriend only had a very small role so too early to see how that character will develop.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:32 PM
The hero of Shadow Moses?

Levski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by pete eagle
i got bored after 10 minutes, came on the BBS instead.
Me too. i found it very disappointing. I liked the older series with the chat show format, but I really didn't get into this episode at all. I thought it was a bit wooden, and I didn't really find it funny. Won't bother next week, I'm afraid. Still, looks like I'm in a pretty big minority, so I'll shut up now!