Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 20-09-2020, 10:26 PM

palacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacedaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1eagle View Post
Hospital admissions have doubled in a week. And patients on ventilators have almost doubled in a week.

The much maligned PCR test gave us an early warning that this was about to happen.
I take it you have been to every hospital in the country and counted patients to come to that conclusion. Or are you going by some stupid stat. I know people that work in hospitals and they are saying theyíre empty.
Old 20-09-2020, 10:26 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
It’s interesting comparing deaths by flu and covid and coming to the conclusion that they are relatively the same while totally ignoring the fact we locked down, were only allowed out for an hour a day, completely changed the way we all live, properly ****ed the economy and paid people to stay at home. Yes there’s a similar amount of deaths but hey, let’s ignore the fact we ripped apart society and still got as many deaths as we do in the worst flu years.

We also are supposed to ignore that virtually all the deaths took place in Spring and Summer when respiratory diseases (like the flu) kill those numbers in a bad year in autumn and winter and covid is a respiratory disease. Naturally I hope the numbers don’t increase much but it’s a respiratory disease and it’s autumn in two days. The year isn’t done yet.

I expect (like Windsor) that when this is endemic it probably will kill as many as the flu does (Possibly less, possibly more) but it’s not endemic yet, it’s still novel. To suggest we would have had a bad year of flu death equivalent if society had acted as it had done during those flu years is laughable. We stopped most interactions in society and still had as many deaths as we did in the shittest flu seasons.

Last edited by Hpalace; 20-09-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 20-09-2020, 10:29 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacedaz View Post
I take it you have been to every hospital in the country and counted patients to come to that conclusion. Or are you going by some stupid stat. I know people that work in hospitals and they are saying theyíre empty.
Maybe those ones are empty but others are really busy? In my area there are very few cases so the hospitals are probably empty. In Bolton there are are a ****load of cases so they are probably a bit busier.

So yes, we use stupid stats to see how many people are in hospital. Ffs.
Old 20-09-2020, 10:31 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacedaz View Post
You're saying that the official government stats on COVID hospitalisations are less valid than anecdotal reports of a few people you know who work in hospitals?

Fair play.
Old 21-09-2020, 05:31 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Yes, I had several trips and holidays booked, still have Portugal in Oct but obviously thatís unlikely to happen.

Iím not sure why your replies are so aggressive. You went off on one about people booking and going on holidays but booked yourself on one.

I maybe alone in thinking that rather hypocritical but hey ho.

I hope you enjoy your holiday whenever it happens.
As I said dense.

I have always said I will only be going if I deem it safe and rsponsible to do so.

The booking gave me the option of postponing for a later date. And I booked 3 months in advance.

How is making a booking that depends on a later judgement call hypocritical?

What I didnt do was try and sneek in a quick holiday the first moment some restrictions were lifted - having been on a government paid break for the best part of 4 months.

If the Brits Abroad bunch had booked some trips for Sepember or October instead of the rush for the July/August sun The Sun told them to rush for, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Let alone get into rows because the lad's group cant be arsed to put a mask on. Top footballers haven't been great role models on this either.

Still, if the government's chief advisor can do what he likes showing symptons and not get sacked for it, than people should be able to do what they bloody well like.

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 21-09-2020, 05:38 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
TBF I could get a cracking deal to come to London in October or November. And my wife has just given me the green light for a solo trip back to Blighty.

Not likely to be much chance to watch live football with Palace though. And having to self isolate for nearly the whole time back would make it a silly choice. But I have that one in the bank for Feb/Mar.

Old 21-09-2020, 05:51 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Just cancelled my trip back in October, moved the flights to February.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 21-09-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Just cancelled my trip back in October, moved the flights to February.
Oooh. Maybe a meet up could be possible.

Old 21-09-2020, 05:57 AM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
It’s interesting comparing deaths by flu and covid and coming to the conclusion that they are relatively the same while totally ignoring the fact we locked down, were only allowed out for an hour a day, completely changed the way we all live, properly ****ed the economy and paid people to stay at home. Yes there’s a similar amount of deaths but hey, let’s ignore the fact we ripped apart society and still got as many deaths as we do in the worst flu years.

We also are supposed to ignore that virtually all the deaths took place in Spring and Summer when respiratory diseases (like the flu) kill those numbers in a bad year in autumn and winter and covid is a respiratory disease. Naturally I hope the numbers don’t increase much but it’s a respiratory disease and it’s autumn in two days. The year isn’t done yet.

I expect (like Windsor) that when this is endemic it probably will kill as many as the flu does (Possibly less, possibly more) but it’s not endemic yet, it’s still novel. To suggest we would have had a bad year of flu death equivalent if society had acted as it had done during those flu years is laughable. We stopped most interactions in society and still had as many deaths as we did in the shittest flu seasons.
The conundrum there is course is that Sweden when very light on measures and still come in with figures similar to ours. Which were about a tenth of Fergusons estimates. Lockdown may not be as useful as some crack it up to be, if you take the extremes of Australia and New Zealand it may only be a delay.
Old 21-09-2020, 06:21 AM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWorksop Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
As I said dense.

I have always said I will only be going if I deem it safe and rsponsible to do so.

The booking gave me the option of postponing for a later date. And I booked 3 months in advance.

How is making a booking that depends on a later judgement call hypocritical?

What I didnt do was try and sneek in a quick holiday the first moment some restrictions were lifted - having been on a government paid break for the best part of 4 months.

If the Brits Abroad bunch had booked some trips for Sepember or October instead of the rush for the July/August sun The Sun told them to rush for, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Let alone get into rows because the lad's group cant be arsed to put a mask on. Top footballers haven't been great role models on this either.

Still, if the government's chief advisor can do what he likes showing symptons and not get sacked for it, than people should be able to do what they bloody well like.
Calm down Pierre. Youíll do yourself an injury.

Enjoy your holiday
Old 21-09-2020, 06:55 AM
No authority but yourself

philsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
The conundrum there is course is that Sweden when very light on measures and still come in with figures similar to ours. Which where about a tenth of Fergusons estimates. Lockdown may not be as useful as some crack it up to be, if you take the extremes of Australia and New Zealand it may only be a delay.
Both ours and swedens stats are very poor, they didn't lockdown but they had clear guidelines which everyone followed unlike our clear as mud guidelines.Sweden also has a large swathe of the population that lives alone for some reason. If you want to look at a country with no or a loose lockdown look at brazil. They haven't had a 2nd wave because they're still in the 1st, total carnage in an attempt to keep the economy alive, it's ****ed.

I desperately don't want another lockdown and hope we can find measures that avoid it, but i can't believe anyone with any sense would say it doesn't slow down the spread of the virus.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
The conundrum there is course is that Sweden when very light on measures and still come in with figures similar to ours. Which where about a tenth of Fergusons estimates. Lockdown may not be as useful as some crack it up to be, if you take the extremes of Australia and New Zealand it may only be a delay.
Significantly less densely populated
Significantly less dense population
Their restrictions and advice were significant.
If they had carried on as normal they would probably have had more dead people too.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:11 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie_porter View Post
The restrictions in the North, and if London mirrors them, is NOT a lockdown. Can people stop calling it this? It's restrictions. A lockdown is when you're only allowed to leave the house once a day and everything is shut. Everything is still open. FFS.

El Aguila... What are the restrictions in Spain like? Do tourists have to quarantine on arrival? Is the border between France/Spain ok? I'm heading to Bilbao and San Sebastian, early October (I know things can change before then) - what are infection rates like there? Thanks
Hi Ollie, just saw this. Things are moving quickly and Iím not sure about quarantine restrictions. The border is open, though. The Basque Country is one of the regions with a fairly high number of cases, about 150 per 100,000 souls. No special restrictions at the moment, though. Enjoy the trip, I love it up there.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:19 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Itís interesting comparing deaths by flu and covid and coming to the conclusion that they are relatively the same while totally ignoring the fact we locked down, were only allowed out for an hour a day, completely changed the way we all live, properly ****ed the economy and paid people to stay at home. Yes thereís a similar amount of deaths but hey, letís ignore the fact we ripped apart society and still got as many deaths as we do in the worst flu years.

We also are supposed to ignore that virtually all the deaths took place in Spring and Summer when respiratory diseases (like the flu) kill those numbers in a bad year in autumn and winter and covid is a respiratory disease. Naturally I hope the numbers donít increase much but itís a respiratory disease and itís autumn in two days. The year isnít done yet.

I expect (like Windsor) that when this is endemic it probably will kill as many as the flu does (Possibly less, possibly more) but itís not endemic yet, itís still novel. To suggest we would have had a bad year of flu death equivalent if society had acted as it had done during those flu years is laughable. We stopped most interactions in society and still had as many deaths as we did in the shittest flu seasons.
You are forgetting, that even with the Nightingales (pre-planned but understaffed) that the reason for the lockdown was not just to contain deaths, but to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed. This was the clearly stated strategy by the government well before the lockdown.

I have to say again, there are other important dimensions to this pandemic that differs from seasonal flu deaths. Firstly, there is no vaccine for CV19, but there is for seasonal flu, and those that are most likely to catch it and die from it, fear it less and are relatively relaxed about it. For that reason, there has never been as far as I am aware, any call for a lockdown for seasonal flu.

Secondly, there is the political aspect of Covid. The public are scared of the unknown, and when CV19 struck in China, and spread rapidly into Europe and saw the vivid scenes in Italian and Spanish hospitals, with Covid patients cramming the corridors and lying on blankets on the floors, they got even more scared. No government is going to ignore the effect of those images on their own people, hence the protection of the NHS policy that led to the lockdown. Even when Johnson in one of his early briefings indicated that many loved unfortunately might die, implying a potential herd immunity policy, there was an immediate public outcry, and he soon u-turned claiming the science is the route that they were now going to take.

Had the Oxford Group back in March said they had an oven ready vaccine to deal with this virus, then there would have been no lock down, and people generally would have been far more relaxed, and Johnson could then have taken some credit by associating himself with the distribution and an effective programme to protect the old and vulnerable.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:28 AM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Lockdown may not be as useful as some crack it up to be, if you take the extremes of Australia and New Zealand it may only be a delay.
Absolutely it's only a delay - it might flatten the curve but the virus will start spreading again when we open up.

The key thing is what we do while the pause button is pressed, eg build up testing capacity, put in place a solid test and trace facility, find better therapeutic ways of treating the virus or get closer to a vaccine

It's a real shame that we squandered the opportunity to set up a decent test and trace system during the first lockdown. That's what would have helped us "live with the virus", but our incompetent government ballsed it up
Old 21-09-2020, 07:30 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Significantly less densely populated
Significantly less dense population
Their restrictions and advice were significant.
If they had carried on as normal they would probably have had more dead people too.
Right.

Also not a hub for anything. London, Paris, Milan, New York. The impact in these places was not coincidence.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:34 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
You're saying that the official government stats on COVID hospitalisations are less valid than anecdotal reports of a few people you know who work in hospitals?

Fair play.

SaulAlinsky
Old 21-09-2020, 07:35 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Absolutely it's only a delay - it might flatten the curve but the virus will start spreading again when we open up.

The key thing is what we do while the pause button is pressed, eg build up testing capacity, put in place a solid test and trace facility, find better therapeutic ways of treating the virus or get closer to a vaccine

It's a real shame that we squandered the opportunity to set up a decent test and trace system during the first lockdown. That's what would have helped us "live with the virus", but our incompetent government ballsed it up
This is the truth and the reality.

As Starmer said yesterday on the Marr Show, Labour was telling the government early on in the summer to get the test regime working properly by the autumn because of the seasonal viruses that are going to hit again. This was always going to be a predictable demand on Covid testing because of this. People will catch colds and seasonal flu and have their doubts as to whether their condition requires a test. Hancock said on the same show, if you have doubts, ask for a test, and then blames the public for doing just that.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:44 AM
Cookies make life better

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Covid: Is it time we learnt to live with the virus?

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Prof Sunetra Gupta, of Oxford University, believes there may well be more immunity already than we think because of a combination of natural immunity and more exposure than screening suggests - she says the antibody markers that are relied on to identify previous exposure are not so reliable for this particular virus.

She says allowing young and healthy people to be exposed over the winter will be of benefit in the years to come. "This is how we have always managed viruses. Why is this so different? If we keep introducing restrictions and lockdowns while we wait for a vaccine it will be the young that suffer the most, particularly those from more deprived backgrounds. We can't keep doing this - it would be an injustice."

I agree with the general tone of this article but it seems that most of the public, and the govt, are keen on imposing more restrictions.

Strange days.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Vapour Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
Hancock said on the same show, if you have doubts, ask for a test, and then blames the public for doing just that.
It's shameful the way the government is blaming the public, not just over testing, but also over the rise in cases generally.

Quote:
Todays National Statistics make for very interesting reading. They confirm the argument that infections are spiking not so much because the public are behaving badly but because they are following bad policy set by the government...

93% of people report wearing facemasks, 81% say they are avoiding physical contact with others, only 13% of people say they have socialised with more than 10 people and only 14% of people say they have socialised with more than 2 households. Most people are following the rules.

By contrast, the proprtion of people working at work has risen to some 60% while the numbers working from home has halved to some 20% - even though figures suggest that half of all workplaces are not socially distanced.

Similarly the number of people going out, drinking out and eating out ('to help out') has risen sharply - eating out from some 10% to nearly 40%. It has dropped in the last week, but remains much higher than before.

In sum, the numbers getting exposed to infection because they are doing what the Government is telling them to do vastly outweighs the number being exposed by breaking COVID restrictions. And yet the Government blames the publlic for the situation we are now in.
To view the link you have to Register or Login