Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 24-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Tired and Emotional

Smurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Hey, a running thread on the BBS.

KW - I was at GSR this year, finished in 1:24 which was a pb by 7 mins despite the wind in the last couple of miles. Got interviewed on Meridian news afterwards for reasons unknown.

About the 10k question. I've got my time down from 59:52 to 50 mins in the last 2 years, hope to get to 45 mins in next year. If I can stay at that level for the next three years then my age and time will match.

Good luck with London. I did my first couple of marathons, including London, last year. All I can say is make sure you do your long runs and get the miles in. There is no substitute for time on your feet. Make a training plan and stick to it within reason, but remember to listen to your body and make sure you are enjoying it.

Good luck with the IM as216, hope you stay injury free!

Last edited by Smurph; 24-01-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 27-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
today - Romsey 5 miler. i'd alloed myself a night on the ale friday - still felt sick today running. but very happy..

expected to be 45-47 mins due to sickness, but weighed in at 41mins 46 sec.
my problem is that i dont realise how much im improving and mins per mile is dropping.
today works out about 8 1/2 mins per mile, but i normally run 9- 9.10 per mile. proves i can run faster and maintain it.

need tp pick up on the hill training though.. any recommendations?either around southampton etc or en route to palace around caterham etc?

will get down the new forest but that is pretty flat, but the hills that are in the forest in some instances are steep when cycling up let alone running.

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 27-01-2008, 03:06 PM

Martinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just done 1 hour 40minutes my longest run this year so far great day to do it just like spring.

King Will - I don't know any hills near Southampton apart from Twyford Down but that is more like a mountain!!
There are loads in isle of wight especially the south side with Ventnor and Freshwater areas but not practical for you to do that I guess...

There is an annual race every Easter Monday in Freshwater called the 3 Hills. It's 8 miles off road and the challenge is Tennyson Down where it's impossible to run up ( well it is for me ). I am trying to beat 1hr 3mins this year. It's one of my favourite races for the scenery although quite tough.

Our club recommend hill reps over 200 metres with 10 reps running up walk back and30 seconds respite at the bottom. We tend to use a local road in the winter nights it's just as good as off road as long as you go to a less busy area.
Old 27-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Martinsleftpeg

There is an annual race every Easter Monday in Freshwater called the 3 Hills. It's 8 miles off road and the challenge is Tennyson Down where it's impossible to run up ( well it is for me ). I am trying to beat 1hr 3mins this year. It's one of my favourite races for the scenery although quite tough.

interesting. cant see anything on google - do you ahve a link please?
thanks

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 27-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Martinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If you go to
To view the link you have to Register or Login

and then "races" it is all there. There is a 7 mile road race Newport - Ryde on the Saturday which has a decent incline or two but not like the Freshwater race.
Old 27-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Keep St George

Quote:
If you go to

and then "races" it is all there. There is a 7 mile road race Newport - Ryde on the Saturday which has a decent incline or two but not like the Freshwater race.
thanks.

got it down as 25th march this year - thats a tuesday?

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 27-01-2008, 06:27 PM

no it's definitely 24th at 12 noon.Did you look at last years entry maybe?
I can scan application form if you send me e mail address?
Old 27-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Keep St George

Quote:
no it's definitely 24th at 12 noon.Did you look at last years entry maybe?
I can scan application form if you send me e mail address?
sorry, was looking at club events not races section.

will look into it. may well do it, was also looking at the exbury gardens (new event) and oakhaven 10ks in march (oakhaven same day as IOw)

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 27-01-2008, 06:37 PM

OK - where is Exbury Gardens?
Old 27-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Just run my first (ever) 10K - it was indoors, watching Man Utd v Spurs - a slow and steady 55mins (just a flat pace of 11K\hr). My aim for the year is to bring that time down whilst increasing the gradient I'm running at

Any tips for helping the legs recover?
Old 27-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Keep St George

bottom of forest, nr lepe beach/country park. good close vews on isle of wight opposite. very picturesque

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 27-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Keep St George

Quote:
Originally posted by Reps AJ
Just run my first (ever) 10K - it was indoors, watching Man Utd v Spurs - a slow and steady 55mins (just a flat pace of 11K\hr). My aim for the year is to bring that time down whilst increasing the gradient I'm running at

Any tips for helping the legs recover?
well done.
tips:

cold bath after. and cold, not luke warm!
plenty of strechting before and after. I have had in the past untld problems with achilles heel/hamstrings and have really worked at them. funnily enough i was just stretching out with one of those dyna-bands. bugger me you get a good stretch with them. bit homo though!

i always walk for a short bit after everyrun - even if only 30 secs.

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 27-01-2008, 07:00 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Have been back running for the last year and a bit. Well not really running - just taking my bellly for a wobble. I am running very slowly but can now do 45mins to an hour and decent gradients.

I think it is now time to take it up to the next level but weighing 17 and a half stone doesn't help.
Old 27-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by King William

bottom of forest, nr lepe beach/country park. good close vews on isle of wight opposite. very picturesque
Thanks - I think my wife would appreciate the gardens - what date is the race? Does not mention it on web site i don't think?
Old 27-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Keep St George

Quote:
Thanks - I think my wife would appreciate the gardens - what date is the race? Does not mention it on web site i don't think?
9th march i think from memory. details on runnersworld and fetchrunning

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 28-01-2008, 01:51 PM

as216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayas216 knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego way
Quote:
Originally posted by rbarmy
Sounds pretty good to me, but I can see your point!

I am in for the Dublin 10k in Phoenix Park on 6th April with a couple of Dub mates - this is the first race I have run in 30 years and at 50+ I am aiming for 80 to 90 minutes (and struggling!) but I did 5k in a PB 46:30 tonight after 4 weeks training
I did that in 2006 - very good race and stood as my 10K PB (45:01) for nearly a year.

KW - Caterham and the surrounding area should be excellent for getting the hills in. Best to get off road in my opinion so places like Manor Park and Coulsdon Common would be excellent (and close enough together to get in the same run depending on what sort of mileage you are doing). On the road going down to the valley and back should be good too (going up Waller Lane will be a good one to try).

I had a bit of a mixed week last week as I think tiredness from week 1 started to take its toll. Did nearly 10K worth of swimming compared to just one long run of about 11/12K. Just did an hour on the bike turbo this afternoon and have six sessions over the next three days (AM swim and PM bike turbo tomorrow; AM easy short run and PM track session Wednesday; AM swim and PM hour run Thursday).

Last edited by as216; 28-01-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 28-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by King William
cold bath after. and cold, not luke warm!
plenty of strechting before and after. I have had in the past untld problems with achilles heel/hamstrings and have really worked at them. funnily enough i was just stretching out with one of those dyna-bands. bugger me you get a good stretch with them. bit homo though!
Not sure I fancy a cold bath too much Went the other way and had a jacuzzi
Old 29-01-2008, 08:49 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
I'd like to run again but I'm very unfit. I'm 110KG though I'm 6'5 tall. I haven't run for 16 odd years (im 31) i do play indoor football, golf, I walk and play a bit of badminton which gives me some exercise but I just have no idea how far i should try and run, times etc. any tips from anyone about starting out?
Old 29-01-2008, 09:16 AM

Tony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is here
I've started running and been pretty constant for the last 3 weeks or so. However, i have now got a dull ache which turns into a shooting pain(when taking stairs) in my Achilles, It's on my left side and could be down to my footwear which probably isn't appropriate for running. I've not run for around a week which is getting me a bit down as feel as if the hard work i did before the injury is now wasted. I'm looking to get back out and although i feel a slight improvement in the problem area, i'm not sure whether to risk trying to "run it off" or whether i should just rest it. is there anything reccommended to aid the recovery?
Old 29-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Thats Geezer, not geeza.

Geezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o statusGeezer is approaching Side-o status
I've started to do a bit of running now. I cycle everyday but running is much harder! I want to start entering duathlons and the odd 10k by about June. At the moment I run for about 25 minutes everyday(apart from Sunday) and I think thats about 3 miles and I've noticed some improvement over the last two weeks.

Is it advisable to keep running on the pavement or to move off road?