Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Doing nothing is a choice

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Sodermalm

100m = 13.4 secs (May 2006) - don't think I can improve now I'm 35
200m = 26.5 secs (July 2006) - probably my best event
400m = 66.2 secs (June 2005) - aiming for under 62 secs this summer
800m = 2:42.8 (May 2007) - aiming for under 2:36 this summer
1500m = 6:02.3 (May 2006) - hate this distance!
5 miles = 41:43 (May 2004)
10 km = 50:41 (July 2003)
10 miles = 1:26:41 (October 2007) - aiming for sub 1:25 this year
Half Marathon = 2:06:56 (April 2007) - aiming for sub 2 hrs this year
Marathon = 4:48:36 (September 2007) - aiming for sub 4:30 this year

Next race is Paddock Wood Half Marathon on 30th March.
Sodermalm - hope you don't mind me saying but you have got seriously bad endurance! If you can run 26sec for 200m you should be comfortably under 60 for 400m, around 2.10 for 800m and 4.20 for 1500m.

I understand the lure of the big city marathons but if I was coaching you I'd tell you to forget about anything longer than 10k for a couple of years and focus on improving over the shorter distances. This would help you when you move back up to longer events. Far too many runners think only of marathons when they start running. Of course, the main thing is that if that's what you enjoy doing then that's great. But at 35 having only been running for a few years you can still improve quite a bit.

Good luck in Hamburg, but seriously, if you want to improve at the marathon (I reckon you could potentially run well inside 4hrs) then take a break from them for a little while.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Mods Rule!!!

whyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I,ve now been running solidly for 6 weeks (well 3 x 4 mile runs a week) over the last week have now stepped up to 6 mile runs + really enjoying it, started to lose abit of weight + haven,t touched a beer for a while. I,m struggerling in my head not to drink when out with the lads on Fri @ Charlton, i do think Running is alot to do with Mental fitness as well as physical???

twitter@WhyteleafeEagle
Old 05-02-2008, 04:51 PM

ugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
today i found 3 races that i did last year (sutton 10k,hillcrest8k and frank harmer 10k) and they are now in the "to do" diary!!!!
im a little disapointed that the frank hammer 10k has been moved,cos now i cant try and beat last years time!!!(the new course at brockwell park,is described as "undulating";a word i DONT like!!!)

i could have done a x-country on sat at Lloyd park (my club striders of croydon are organising it),but i dont think my legs have it in them to do x-country and a 10 miler the same weekend!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM

Sodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by ugly and fat
i think the club i run for (striders of croydon) enter the track and field league,although ive always thought that im better suited for distances over 10k...
my pb's are :

10k:52 mins (would like to break 50 mins)
10 mile:1hr 30 mins (would like tobreak 1hr 30)
1/2 marathon:1 hr 59 mins

sodermalm;im interested in the fact that your 10k and 10 mile pb's are quicker than mine,and yet you seem to do the same amount of training as me!!!! age possibly? (im 48)
ugly and fat; Striders of Croydon do take part along with Herne Hill Harriers, Croydon Harriers, Hercules Wimbledon, South London Harriers and Serpentine (my club). Each team has 1 scorer at each event and the winner gets 6 points decreasing to 1 point for last place.

They also have non-scoring races where club members of all abilites take part, plus field events. Have a word with your team mates, it's quite friendly, not too competitive (except the 100m). Striders are one of the smaller clubs so they would probably be grateful for another competitor. Even if you come last, as I have done at the sprints, you can get 1 or more points if the other teams don't have a runner for that event. Every point counts! The meetings start in May, there are 6 matches on Wednesday nights, normally at Tooting or Battersea. Followed by a local pub.

Regarding our difference in times at 10k, 10m & 1/2m, I guess it's a mixture of reasons. As another BBS'er has pointed out my basic speed is ok but my endurance is poor! Could be a mixture of age, physique, genes, diet, performance on the day etc etc. Can't give you any tips other than read Runners World Website. Good luck with your targets. I'm going after your half marathon time!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 PM

ugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Sodermalm;thanks for the info on the track and filed;i may well see you this year!!!
i think the difference in times could be down to build (ive never been any good at anything less than 10k); as a subscriber of runners world im always on that site!!!
for a variety of reasons my training is limited (job/s personal life etc) but as im a postie, i feel that keeps me ticking over....
when fully fit,and on a "flat" course,my 1/2 marathon time could be quicker;the course it was set on (dartford) had a "KILLER" hill in it at 10 miles,but it was nice to break 2hrs,with my family watching!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by whyteleafeeagle
I,ve now been running solidly for 6 weeks (well 3 x 4 mile runs a week) over the last week have now stepped up to 6 mile runs + really enjoying it, started to lose abit of weight + haven,t touched a beer for a while. I,m struggerling in my head not to drink when out with the lads on Fri @ Charlton, i do think Running is alot to do with Mental fitness as well as physical???
Absolutely - I am definitely finding half the battle in my head - eat better, get more sleep, drink less (or not at all!) vs junk food and sofa

Old 05-02-2008, 10:22 PM
No longer a student

StudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for youStudentEagle is just too good for you
Just recently got back into running. I'm enjoying it again, but I'd forgotten just how much of a pain mother's with young kids and a dog can be. It specifically seems to be this group that always get in the way, and short of giving them a 10m birth I can't get round them. Normally its the dog that'll run in front of me and trip me, but today it was a toddler on a bike who I swear was gunning for me.

Strava profile
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Sodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by whyteleafeeagle
Definitely mental as well as physical. From diet to alcohol to pushing yourself to do it when you don't feel like it. Perseverance and positive outlook required.

I took another night off tonight, partly laziness and partly listening to body aches - on Sat I did 90 mins of indoor training at Pickett's Lock, losts of sprint starts and loads of long jumps. Legs & stomach aching still, especially after running on the Sunday. Back to it tomorrow.

Had a shock tonight, weighed myself for the first time in weeks and I'd put on just over half a stone! Quitting beer for a couple of weeks after Charlton, wine has less calories...

Last edited by Sodermalm; 05-02-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
got one of them Garmin GPS things with heart rate. need to sit down this weekend and work it all out.

One hting im really really struggling is with food/hunger. im eating the right foods but I find in the mnorning im hank marvin but at dinner time a bowl of pasta etc and im full ( 6 months ago i woul dhave had maybe some salmon as a starter, pasta and then maybe some fruit or a smoothie)
i appreciate my appetite/stomach would have shrunk as ive gone down from a 38/40 to 32/40 waist in 12-18 months but it aint helping me fuel myself for the marathon.

breakfast tends to be a yoghurt, smoothie and some fruit at 8am (irrespecitve if ive run or not), then by 9am im starvin again. and get stuck into flapjacks etc.
im not really one for porridge/cereals.

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
also got a wrist watch/stop watch free with runners world a while ago. never used it, anyone want it for free?

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 PM

Tony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is here
been running 2.5 to 3 miles a night all this week - nothing major i know but baby steps and all that. I'm a smoker and until i kick the habit i can't see myself improving too much! Unfortunately also a re-occurence of my achilles problem, which i think is down to from doing 1 night of squash a week to 6 consecutive nights of running and squash this week!

Really didn't fancy the run tonight, but it's easy to run when you fancy it, but not so easy when you really cannot be arsed! So i thought i had to get out there really.Times coming down apart from tonight when my legs felt far too heavy. A couple of days rest and back to running off the hangover on Sunday!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM

Did 5 miles last night, great run, my best since October.

Just need to do some long, slow runs, they are the problem at the moment.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Martinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm not a nutritionist but maybe you need more carbs to replace spent energy so spuds occasionally instead of pasta - jacket potatoes with baked beans makes one go well I find!

And I never get to use my Runners World watch either now, I tend to be low tech with heart rate monitor at 70- 80% of my max on normal training run,or just forget it and run for an hour or whatever doing a mix of fartleks and medium pace.

Try and get a mate to run with you who is faster. i sometimes run with a triathlete who I can beat over long distances but he is much faster (6m miles) over 3 miles or so. Still good for 10k race practices.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 PM
American Hot

Captain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Right, I'm back.

Along with a few neighbours I have entered the Hastings half marathon on 16th March. Looks like a hard course - miles 3 to 6 are one long hill.

I have had a few very busy work weeks recently so have only been getting out at weekends, but my stamina is improving - I am up to 14k now. Have tried a few short sprints to see how my speed is, and managed a 5k run in 24 mins last week, which was over a minute off my best. My best long run so far is a 12k two weeks ago in 1.03, followed the next weekend by 10k in 51mins, a PB. I was hoping to do 1.45 for the hastings run but think I will be doing well to break 1.50.

I really need to get out tomorrow night as I have a busy weekend.....
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Mods Rule!!!

whyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhyteleafeeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pizza
Right, I'm back.

Along with a few neighbours I have entered the Hastings half marathon on 16th March. Looks like a hard course - miles 3 to 6 are one long hill.

I have had a few very busy work weeks recently so have only been getting out at weekends, but my stamina is improving - I am up to 14k now. Have tried a few short sprints to see how my speed is, and managed a 5k run in 24 mins last week, which was over a minute off my best. My best long run so far is a 12k two weeks ago in 1.03, followed the next weekend by 10k in 51mins, a PB. I was hoping to do 1.45 for the hastings run but think I will be doing well to break 1.50.

I really need to get out tomorrow night as I have a busy weekend.....
I have done the Hastings a few times, whatever you do over the next few weeks is practise running up really big hills, i.e i like to run up Bencombe Road in Purley after doing a few miles its a killer i can assure you, Hastings is good however i find the final 3 miles on the seafront painfully boring - i may join you Captain!!!

twitter@WhyteleafeEagle
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned by Moderators

CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87 CPFC87
Just come across this thread on the BBS, which I'm pleased about.

I've been running 3 times a week since the middle of January and, bar yesterday & tomorrow as was travelling back from University for the game tomorrow, I intend to continue doing runs on Monday's, Wednesday's & Friday's at the Gym.

Ideally I want to lose some weight, keep fit and tone up my midrift. Have read that running (alongside swimming & cycling) are the best forms of cardio for this so am glad I have picked one of them.

So far I've been doing around 8k runs on the treadmill, whereby in and around 50 minutes, which I don't think is too bad for a starter. In my 50 minutes, I tend to walk for 2-3 to begin, run to 15, slow down to 18, run to 30, slow down to 33, run to 45, slow down to 48 then run the remainder. I've been running with a 2.5 incline on the treadmill at a speed of 10.5? I aim to start going for 10k on the treadmill 3 times a week, with less slower breaks for water and what not.

What is a 'acceptable' or 'good' time for running 10k on a treadmill? I'm 20 and weigh around 11 stones 2/3 pounds (about 71/73 kilos).

Also just purchased some new Asics running shoes as was running in bog standard trainers, so hope these will help with my running. Looking into applying for the Capital 10k in July.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Martinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
CPFC87 - difficult to say with treadmills as it depends on quite a lot of different factors, boredom being one of them! At 20 you should be able to aim for a sub 40min 10k on the road in time but on the mill I reckon 45 - 50 is good in training. Personally I can't last the time needed on the treadmill and use it for faster short bursts of pace on a an incline of up to 1.5 or so.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Originally posted by Martinsleftpeg
CPFC87 - difficult to say with treadmills as it depends on quite a lot of different factors, boredom being one of them! At 20 you should be able to aim for a sub 40min 10k on the road in time but on the mill I reckon 45 - 50 is good in training. Personally I can't last the time needed on the treadmill and use it for faster short bursts of pace on a an incline of up to 1.5 or so.
Thanks for that. Compared to the other posts I've read on here I find that I prefer running on the treadmill as I like the visual stimulation of being able to see how far, how fast, and how many calories I'm burning without having to buy a fancy watch to look at. Also like the idea of staying in one place whilst running.

What do the inclines on treadmills mean exactly? I've had a look at some runnersworld threads and the general gist I've been getting is that those who run on treadmills tend to adjust it to 1%? (1.0 on treadmill?) in order to 'create' conditions more reminisent of outdoor running.

Am I better off running on a 2.5 incline @ 10.5, or say 1 incline at 11, or none @ 12?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Originally posted by King William
also got a wrist watch/stop watch free with runners world a while ago. never used it, anyone want it for free?
Does it calculate calories burnt and distance ran? If so yes please!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CPFC87
Does it calculate calories burnt and distance ran? If so yes please!
If it's the watch they offered 3 years ago, then the answer is no, it's a good, basic stop-watch.