Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: As of 05/02/17 who should be first choice Goalkeeper
1 Julian Speroni 311 26.22%
13 wayne Hennessey 178 15.01%
30 Steve Mandanda 561 47.30%
Another 136 11.47%
Voters: 1186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-10-2019, 07:00 PM

hulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
I still don't understand why he stood there ROOTED to the spot and didn't even lift a foot for the first goal. He just stood there, turned his head to one side, and watched it. Not a flicker of reaction apart from turning his head.

Could he have dived down there and scooped it off the line? We will never know because he had his lead boots on. It would have been great to see him try. But the result was that we were suddenly 1 nil down and chasing the game against City...
Hallelujah! Someone else who’s seeing the situation for what it is. It is unforgivable for him to not even try to make a save. That is the beef I have with Wayne’s performances often. I don’t give a toss if my opinion makes me a bad fan in some eyes. I know how good a fan I am, and also how good a judge I am of footballers ability.
There is no excuse for him not attempting a save. For the people defending him, I would like to hear an excuse for him being rooted to his line without even attempting to make a save for City’s first goal. I won’t hold my breath waiting for a valid excuse.

Last edited by hulkster; 20-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 20-10-2019, 07:15 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkster View Post
The whole team had a shitter against Spurs. They didnít last night and were defending and fighting well until the goals went in.
Silva movement pulled our defence apart to allow a free header directed in off the far post for the first. Sterling flick over on-rushing defenders onto first time volleyed shot by aforementioned Silva for the second. Neither goal conceded could be attributed directly to the goalkeeper.

I thought I'd mention this as you appear to have missed what actually happened.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Gyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The problem with Hennessey is this:

Nobody here hates him. People are negative about him because of all the mistakes he's made since he's been with us. So many times he's cost us points. Yes, he's won us points too but not very often.
I'm not anti-Hennessey. I'm not trying to be disrespectful either. I'd be the same about Guaita if he'd made the errors Hennessey has.

People on here have very short memories. If we were playing Brighton or another team at the bottom of the league yesterday you'd all be blaming him for the goals.
Old 20-10-2019, 09:27 PM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
But Hennessey, like most players, has periods of good form and poor form. He was decent yesterday under sustained pressure and played well for Wales last week too. At other times he has made bad gaffes. You can't put him in the same bracket as Benteke, who has been persistently shite for ages. OTOH Milivojevic has been poor on quite a few occasions this season and had a poor spell at the start of last season too. Schlupp is another player who seems to get away with rather a lot, although we possibly saw his number go up yesterday. Then there is van Aanholt. Yes, these players get criticised on here a fair bit but none of them is the subject of constant negativity: the only one who is is Benteke which is hardly surprising.
Old 20-10-2019, 10:27 PM

Jughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Heil Henno
superb performance against v good opposition
Old 20-10-2019, 10:37 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro1780 View Post

Nobody here hates him. People are negative about him because of all the mistakes he's made since he's been with us. So many times he's cost us points. Yes, he's won us points too but not very often.
I'm not anti-Hennessey. I'm not trying to be disrespectful either. I'd be the same about Guaita if he'd made the errors Hennessey has.

People on here have very short memories. If we were playing Brighton or another team at the bottom of the league yesterday you'd all be blaming him for the goals.
Your comment that many times he has cost us points needs clarification. Are these actual errors (the stats say otherwise) or are these goals like yesterday where the experts on here claim that any goalie would have saved them particularly if their surname is Speroni or Guaita.

It didnít matter who we played yesterday as I canít see anyone saving the first goal. It came of his shoulder and looped in front of Ward obscuring Hennesseyís view. The second one was a great goal where sometimes the goalie gets lucky.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 21-10-2019, 06:19 AM

hulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
Your comment that many times he has cost us points needs clarification. Are these actual errors (the stats say otherwise) or are these goals like yesterday where the experts on here claim that any goalie would have saved them particularly if their surname is Speroni or Guaita.

It didnít matter who we played yesterday as I canít see anyone saving the first goal. It came of his shoulder and looped in front of Ward obscuring Hennesseyís view. The second one was a great goal where sometimes the goalie gets lucky.
Itís the fact that he didnít look to even try and save it that grates. The fact is, if he went down to his right, with the height he possesses, he may well have been there to collect the ball as it came off the post. It would have to have been a wonder save. But wonder saves are made on an almost weekly basis in the PL. But you have to move to make a save of any kind. And he didnít even move.
Old 21-10-2019, 06:40 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
I still don't understand why he stood there ROOTED to the spot and didn't even lift a foot for the first goal. He just stood there, turned his head to one side, and watched it. Not a flicker of reaction apart from turning his head.

Could he have dived down there and scooped it off the line? We will never know because he had his lead boots on. It would have been great to see him try. But the result was that we were suddenly 1 nil down and chasing the game against City...
This is a joke, right?

No keeper in the world saves the first goal, headed to the furthest point away and in off the post. Trying to fault with WH for it is ridiculous
Old 21-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Concession/Adult

9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
This is a joke, right?

No keeper in the world saves the first goal, headed to the furthest point away and in off the post. Trying to fault with WH for it is ridiculous
His point mainly as that he didn't even dive for it. Not even making an attempt at making a save.

He probably wouldn't have got it, however at least attempt too!
Old 21-10-2019, 07:16 AM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Hallelujah! Someone else whoís seeing the situation for what it is. It is unforgivable for him to not even try to make a save. That is the beef I have with Wayneís performances often. I donít give a toss if my opinion makes me a bad fan in some eyes. I know how good a fan I am, and also how good a judge I am of footballers ability.
There is no excuse for him not attempting a save. For the people defending him, I would like to hear an excuse for him being rooted to his line without even attempting to make a save for Cityís first goal. I wonít hold my breath waiting for a valid excuse.
A lot of keepers dive even though they know they won't reach a shot / header just to show they're making an effort; Pickford is a good example of this (not a criticism, I think Pickford is a great keeper). Wayne does not, which for me is not a problem, it doesn't bother me in the slightest......usually. If he had dived for the header (even though he knew he had no chance of reaching it) he MAY have been in a position to palm it off the line as it came off the post. The downside is that if it rebounds out into play, which is a far more likely occurrence, if he's still regaining his feet after making an unnecessary dive, he won't be in a position to save any follow-up shot.

The logical conclusion is therefore that he was not to blame for City's first goal.
Old 21-10-2019, 07:59 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Freedman9 View Post
His point mainly as that he didn't even dive for it. Not even making an attempt at making a save.

He probably wouldn't have got it, however at least attempt too!
In realtime from Block C it seemed more slow motion. Maybe I was expecting the header to be directed towards the left hand side of the goal where Hennessey was.

Having looked at the replays on Palace TV if he had dived he would have been no where near it. And if it had hit the post and bounced out Silva or Sterling were there to knock it in the net.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 21-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Very young thick ****

Kirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is here
I hate Hennessey with every bone in my body but it's a bit of a stretch to blame him for either goal on Saturday. I actually thought he had a very good game for his standards, apart from nearly rolling the ball to Jesus' feet for no reason.

I still want Guaita back ASAP though. He's been brilliant.
Old 21-10-2019, 09:28 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Guaita may not have saved the first goal but he would have saved the second. He keeps himself low so could have reacted quicker.
Hennessey comes out almost upright with his legs wide open & Silva puts it between his legs.

Maybe with Guaita in goal Silva would have put the ball either side of him & scored but it wouldn't have gone through his legs.
Silva put it through his legs?

Silva never looked at the goal (or goalkeeper), not once, he knew where it was. It was an exceptional piece of skill and when he connected any goalkeeper is reliant on the ball hitting him. There is virtually no time to react once he has hit it. Yes it went through his legs but no goalkeeper sands there with their legs together.

Cannot blame Hennessey for that goal it was brilliance from 2 supremely talented footballers.
Old 21-10-2019, 09:35 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Itís the fact that he didnít look to even try and save it that grates. The fact is, if he went down to his right, with the height he possesses, he may well have been there to collect the ball as it came off the post. It would have to have been a wonder save. But wonder saves are made on an almost weekly basis in the PL. But you have to move to make a save of any kind. And he didnít even move.
He was never going to get there. Plenty of goalkeepers are left helplessly watching a ball go past them, even the best ones. Once Jesus had a free header 6 yards out and it went so wide it went in off the post Hennessey had no chance. He is not going to stop it going in once it has hit the post either.

You say he has to dive but there is also the possibility you are not considering that he dives, the ball hits the post and comes back onto him and in. I am sure you would have blamed him in that scenario too.

He did though make 4 or 5 really good saves including 1 first half, top corner at full stretch that Guaita may not have managed to get to. We played one of the best teams in the world at the moment, and if Bentekes header had gone in would have given them some nervy final moments. That was a good performance on the whole if slightly lacking in attack for the first 75.
Old 21-10-2019, 09:57 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
I hate Hennessey with every bone in my body but it's a bit of a stretch to blame him for either goal on Saturday. I actually thought he had a very good game for his standards, apart from nearly rolling the ball to Jesus' feet for no reason.

I still want Guaita back ASAP though. He's been brilliant.
Pretty much my take on it.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 21-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:

If our number 2 goalkeeper was as good as our number 1, then our number 1 would be even better and if that was the case our number 1 wouldn't be here and our number 2 would be number 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chateauferret View Post
But Hennessey, like most players, has periods of good form and poor form. He was decent yesterday under sustained pressure and played well for Wales last week too. At other times he has made bad gaffes. You can't put him in the same bracket as Benteke, who has been persistently shite for ages. OTOH Milivojevic has been poor on quite a few occasions this season and had a poor spell at the start of last season too. Schlupp is another player who seems to get away with rather a lot, although we possibly saw his number go up yesterday. Then there is van Aanholt. Yes, these players get criticised on here a fair bit but none of them is the subject of constant negativity: the only one who is is Benteke which is hardly surprising.
Old 21-10-2019, 10:23 AM

dhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedhcpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I don't think people on here are claiming that WH is better than Guaita. Guaita is our number 1 as far as I am concerned but there no way WH can be blamed for the goals against City and had a very good game overall.

In real time and from a tight angle I did wonder why WH did not dive. When looking at replays, it is an exceptional header to guide the ball into the far corner. Could he have made a token dive for the cameras is debatable but a goalkeeper knows when they a truly beaten or their anticipation and weight distribution has taken them the other way (preventing a dive).

The second goal is a gamble in a split second that sometimes you get lucky with. Silva’s technique for that was excellent to connect powerfully and keep the low.
Old 21-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Seanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Froze for both goals
Goot saves otherwise tho
Whens Guitz back?
Old 21-10-2019, 10:44 AM

cheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
he does not feel the defence with confidence ,he certainly does not feel me with confidence . you know there is a mistake in him . he made some good saves which most keepers would of made tho ..
hope Guaita is back ASAP who in my opinion is a very good keeper.
Old 21-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Cruddy Clique

PALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekychippie View Post
he does not feel the defence with confidence ,he certainly does not feel me with confidence . you know there is a mistake in him . he made some good saves which most keepers would of made tho ..
hope Guaita is back ASAP who in my opinion is a very good keeper.
Yea but how do you really feel?