Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 13-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
Bought a ball last week from Sports Direct for my 8-year-old and it was like a fvcking rock. Could barely kick it let alone head it.
Not one of those indoor balls by any chance? reduced bounce, weighted. You wouldn't want to head one. Usually come in size 4?

Edit:found this on Wiki.
Ball
Size 4, circumference 62–64*cm (24–25*in), weight between 400–440*g (14–16*oz) at the start of the game.
Dropped from a height of 2*m (6*ft 7*in), the first rebound must not be lower than 50*cm (20*in)*cm or more than 65*cm (26*in).[8]

One of the games I play in they occasionally produce one of these and announce we have a proper ball this week.

Last edited by Skintagain; 13-11-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 13-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Really wanted to see this, but mistakenly spent an hour looking at the microwave instead
Old 13-11-2017, 03:08 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Bought a ball last week from Sports Direct for my 8-year-old and it was like a fvcking rock. Could barely kick it let alone head it.
If it was one of the sondico cheap ones they are horrible.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:34 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
The injuries to Shearer's elbows must be worse than those of his head.
Well that made me laugh out loud, despite the sombre thread !
Old 14-11-2017, 04:56 PM

mcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football and Me

Did anyone catch this the other night? I caught up on iplayer.

They seemed to gloss over the main issue for me here, that the old footballs when wet, were extremely heavy and would cause a lot more damage than the modern ones. They mentioned it, but it seemed to be a passing comment, which I thought was strange.

Thoughts?

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 14-11-2017, 05:38 PM

CPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Gangster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmean View Post
They seemed to gloss over the main issue for me here, that the old footballs when wet, were extremely heavy and would cause a lot more damage than the modern ones. They mentioned it, but it seemed to be a passing comment, which I thought was strange.
Think that's a bit of myth, they are only marginally heavier and the ball travels faster now-a-days so force of impact is comparable.
Old 14-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Yes I thought that as well but CPFC G has a point. Shame they didn't bother to explain if that is the case .

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 14-11-2017, 05:50 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC Gangster View Post
Think that's a bit of myth, they are only marginally heavier and the ball travels faster now-a-days so force of impact is comparable.
Not a myth when wet they were much heavier. The modern ball does not absorb water in the same manner. Have you ever tried heading the old fashioned ball or seen one in use?
Old 21-10-2019, 11:44 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here

Former professional footballers are three and a half times more likely to die of dementia than people of the same age range in the general population, according to new research.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 21-10-2019, 12:29 PM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

Former professional footballers are three and a half times more likely to die of dementia than people of the same age range in the general population, according to new research.
My father played a lot of football when young up to a good standard, trialed with Fulham and carried on playing into his 40's semi-seriously. He was an old fashioned centre half and I can remember him turning up at home with a muddy forehead from heading the ball (he preferred to come home and use the hot water rather than risk often freezing showers in drafty changing rooms). He was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers in his early 60s.

He loved his football and even very late on when he paid no real heed to anything else a game of football on the TV would catch his attention, I've wondered more than once if it was football related. Guess I'll never know but is does seem more and more possible

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis
Old 21-10-2019, 01:04 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
. Already posted

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 21-10-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 21-10-2019, 02:42 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
My father played a lot of football when young up to a good standard, trialed with Fulham and carried on playing into his 40's semi-seriously. He was an old fashioned centre half and I can remember him turning up at home with a muddy forehead from heading the ball (he preferred to come home and use the hot water rather than risk often freezing showers in drafty changing rooms). He was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers in his early 60s.

He loved his football and even very late on when he paid no real heed to anything else a game of football on the TV would catch his attention, I've wondered more than once if it was football related. Guess I'll never know but is does seem more and more possible
Those old footballs, especially when wet, looked ridiculously heavy. Did he talk about headaches?
Old 21-10-2019, 03:18 PM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Quote:
Those old footballs, especially when wet, looked ridiculously heavy. Did he talk about headaches?
No but he wouldn't have complained anyway. He did head the ball a lot though - he was 6ft tall and so quite tall for his generation and used it to advantage as a defender.

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis
Old 22-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
]Did Shearer comment on whether kicking someone in the head is ok?

Seems Hennessey’s defence team have been about since the 90’s:

"I was brought down by Neil Lennon over by the touchline and we both fell clumsily. As I tried to get to my feet I had to really tug my left foot free and the momentum of doing this looked on television like a kick. It certainly wasn't and the fact that Neil is virtually unmarked confirms this. If I did accidentally catch him, I certainly did not mean to. I would never try to deliberately hurt a fellow professional."

“Virtually” is an interesting word choice. Does the level of the wound implicate intent? No it doesn’t.
Old 22-10-2019, 08:42 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
I think there is a case for it making little difference to the game as so few headers take place anyway at those ages. Also coaches simply don't do heading drills. Overall i think it's hardly worth bothering with though on account of it being so rare and hardly a massive risk.

I did a lot of reading about head injuries when my son started playing rugby.

I get the impression you have to be heading hundreds of footballs a week for it to be a considerable risk and i would expect clubs to take that into consideration when training. Not convinced from what i have seen and read about there would ever be justification for rule changes. Just seems like we might have had a generation that got unlucky with primitive equipment and training drills.
Indeed and footballs were so much heavier in those days
Old 22-10-2019, 08:44 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
Not one of those indoor balls by any chance? reduced bounce, weighted. You wouldn't want to head one. Usually come in size 4?

Edit:found this on Wiki.
Ball
Size 4, circumference 62–64*cm (24–25*in), weight between 400–440*g (14–16*oz) at the start of the game.
Dropped from a height of 2*m (6*ft 7*in), the first rebound must not be lower than 50*cm (20*in)*cm or more than 65*cm (26*in).[8]

One of the games I play in they occasionally produce one of these and announce we have a proper ball this week.
Was it blown up properly