Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 28-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Got to say Brisket does make a fabulous Sunday dinner. Not a single scrap of anything left on any of the 10 plates.

Left overs just been chopped up and cooked with the left over gravy and whizzed up cooking pot veg, to make a cottage pie. Looking forward to that just as much as yesterday’s

Value wise just incredible. £18 for a 3.5kg piece. Served 10 plus 4 had seconds and then a cottage pie to serve 4
Old 10-11-2019, 03:32 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Just been to the butchers where I picked up a piece of salmon cut beef, a cut that I haven't tried before, I believe it's a muscle which is part of the silverside. Think I will try pot-roasting it with some carrots, celery, leeks, herbs, red wine and stock.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
Just been to the butchers where I picked up a piece of salmon cut beef, a cut that I haven't tried before, I believe it's a muscle which is part of the silverside. Think I will try pot-roasting it with some carrots, celery, leeks, herbs, red wine and stock.
Not heard of that cut. But yes sounds like a low and slow one

Standard roast chicken for us. Roast potatoes, tender stem broccoli, baby carrots, baby corn, stuffing and gravy
Old 10-11-2019, 04:20 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Not heard of that cut. But yes sounds like a low and slow one

Standard roast chicken for us. Roast potatoes, tender stem broccoli, baby carrots, baby corn, stuffing and gravy
My butcher said that the cut would be great either roasted normally or done as a pot roast, which reminded me of your post on here last week, which has inspired the pot roast.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:23 PM

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
My butcher said that the cut would be great either roasted normally or done as a pot roast, which reminded me of your post on here last week, which has inspired the pot roast.

Hope it’s as tasty as our was a couple of weeks ago
Old 24-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Chris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is here
Fancy having a go at some pork later. The trouble is I've always stuck with beef and chicken. What I'm looking for is some pork where the meat falls apart, some nice crackling and drowned in cider gravy.

Hints and tips from the BBS pro's would be appreciated
Old 24-11-2019, 07:48 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Fancy having a go at some pork later. The trouble is I've always stuck with beef and chicken. What I'm looking for is some pork where the meat falls apart, some nice crackling and drowned in cider gravy.
Hints and tips from the BBS pro's would be appreciated
I would probably go for shoulder of pork, boned and rolled, but it really depends on how many you are cooking for.

First and most important tip is to find a decent butchers, you won't get good pork from a supermarket, where are you based? Someone on here should be able to point you in the right direction. Ask your butcher to score the skin for you, this will help the crackling, your butcher has better knives and knife skills than you do.

Leave it in the fridge uncovered overnight, this will ensure the skin is nice and dry and will help the crackling.

Make a bed of chopped veg for the joint to rest on, carrots/celery/onions/garlic/herbs, whatever you have. Whack it in a hot oven (210c) for twenty minutes, then turn the oven down low (150c), tip some liquid into the baking tray (cider, wine, stock), cover the baking tray with foil and return to the oven. How long? I couldn't really tell you until I know how big your joint is, but it's difficult to overcook pork in a low oven. remove foil for the last half an hour of cooking time.

For cider gravy search on this thread for Monkoid's recipe. From memory stir some flour into the roasting tray juices, let it cook through for a few minutes, then add chicken stock, cider and apple sauce, then let it bubble away until it is just the right consistency, strain through a sieve and put it into your favourite gravy jug.

Last edited by Smoz; 24-11-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 24-11-2019, 07:50 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Roast beef here today, White Park topside, cooked medium rare. With roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Cottage pie for the the next few days too.
Old 24-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Shipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipps@Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
An old school butcher introduced us to unrolled pork loin on the bone which includes all the ribs ....great cut and meat literally falls off the bone. Same cooking method as Smoz suggests
Old 24-11-2019, 10:24 PM

rhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is here
Roast pork today I poured boiling water over it dabbed it dry then rubbed salt and oil on it placed it on bed of carrot and onion was lovely .with roasts cabbage carrots and peas . Gravy made from meat juices crackling yummy . Girlfriend happy
Old 08-12-2019, 04:33 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Pannage pork belly, rolled and stuffed with apples, herbs and sausage meat. Will be slow-ish roasted (it’s only 500g worth). With roast potatoes, parsnips and Savoy cabbage and cider gravy.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Pannage pork belly, rolled and stuffed with apples, herbs and sausage meat. Will be slow-ish roasted (it’s only 500g worth). With roast potatoes, parsnips and Savoy cabbage and cider gravy.
Sounds good
Old 08-12-2019, 05:15 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Quote:
Sounds good
So does the stew you mentioned on the other thread.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sounds grand.