Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

View Poll Results: Should Theresa May resign ?
Yes , sooner the better 317 59.70%
No , A lingering death is needed . 112 21.09%
Moo , It's all bo^^ocks 102 19.21%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Apparently there is now an acute shortage of sickbags following St Theresa's heartfelt farewell.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:23 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
While it's natural to feel sympathy, I think this really is glossing over the reality. She had maximum leverage when she got elected. At that point, even most Brexiters (as we know from the post referendum polling) wanted to stay in the single market.

She had a unique opportunity to come out and say the referendum was close and a compromise must be sought, the country brought back together. She could have got it. Remainers too would have settled for one then. Instead she ignored and insulted them, set the agenda for the hardest of Brexits, came out with guff like no deal is better than a bad deal, Brexit means Brexit, triggered A50 when we weren't ready, etc.

She, more than Farage, polarised the country even further. And now here we are.
Pretty much true.

But here's the thing, to become PM who did she promise and what? Particularly in order to undercut support for Leadsom.

It is such a shame Cameron didn't set up a cross party/civil service/banking&business committee to guide and steer Brexit and put Brexit into the hands of the competent rather than the shrill.

By resigning he politicised it. He could even have set up the committee and then resigned. The point is it did not have to be a party political issue (although always a tory party issue) and being such has served neither of the main parties well, let alone the country...

May was dealt a tough hand but has played it beyond dreadfully. Pretty much every major decision she has got 100% wrong.

Last edited by adrenalin john; 24-05-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: grammar, or lack of it
Old 24-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleye20 View Post
It is not over yet, she has until 7th June, a woman scorned!

She could actually, do something constructive for the country by writing to Tusk revoking Article 50.
As much as I would love for her to do that, and think it would really mess up some of the prime candidates for PM, who may well run for the role on a single policy, there's not a hope in hell of her doing that IMO.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
May was dealt a tough hand but has played it beyond dreadfully. Pretty much every major decision she has got 100% wrong.
I won't disagree with the second sentence, nor the second part of the first one. But this was not a hand she was dealt, it was a hand she picked, being able to see all the cards face up on the table first.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:42 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I'm assuming a Brexity brexiter gets the gig. If it's Johnson, he will want to stay in power as long as possible. A hard Brexit won't really offer him that, it will quickly become apparent that we will simply have to negotiate from an even weaker position. So he would be more likely to go for an election, and a negotiated deal. The question is, how that election might go for him? It's a volatile moment, to say the least.
I wonder if Mordaunt might be the dark horse who could pull off a negotiated Brexit within the current Parliament?
I heard earlier someone say, and I think it was the wise political commentator Matthew Parris, state that Boris being a brexiteer, would be in a better position when negotiations fail with the EU to get hardliners to listen to him and compromise on their hardline stance. Who knows, strangely the hardline brexiteer he claims to be may end up achieving a deal close to what May has tried to achieve. I doubt he will go for a GE as that is a massive risk, and he only has to look back to the last GE as proof.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Just watched her “farewell speech”.

What a load of self serving bollocks.

She’s spent three years achieving absolutely f*ck all and the “country I love “ has become more divided, less prosperous and practically ungovernable thanks to her self imposed red lines and lack of compassion.

Cricket wanker.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
her self imposed red lines and lack of compassion.
Which were directly linked and a logical progression from her time in the Home Office, for which many of people who live and work here and have done for decades are still suffering the hostile to foreigners environment she created.

She's a horrible piece of work, and its no surprise she rose to the top of the Tories.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I'm assuming a Brexity brexiter gets the gig. If it's Johnson, he will want to stay in power as long as possible. A hard Brexit won't really offer him that, it will quickly become apparent that we will simply have to negotiate from an even weaker position. So he would be more likely to go for an election, and a negotiated deal. The question is, how that election might go for him? It's a volatile moment, to say the least.
I wonder if Mordaunt might be the dark horse who could pull off a negotiated Brexit within the current Parliament?
I'm not sure how she could? The parliamentary facts remain as they were. There is no majority for anything and as long as the Labour Party opposes everything and rides two horses there won't be.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:56 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Heidi Allen tweets: 'Oh @theresa_may , why didn’t we see that emotion more? Things could have been so different....'

The emotion was there because this was all about Theresa. Nothing more.
Unfortunately, the country that she 'loves' doesn't exist for most of the people who live here.
Still, she can look forward to a sympathy shag from Phil this evening.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
No sympathy from me whatsoever. Poor politician, awful Home Secretary and truly dreadful Prime Minister.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 24-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Heidi Allen tweets: 'Oh @theresa_may , why didnít we see that emotion more? Things could have been so different....'

The emotion was there because this was all about Theresa. Nothing more.
Unfortunately, the country that she 'loves' doesn't exist for most of the people who live here.
Still, she can look forward to a sympathy shag from Phil this evening.
Your last sentence is an image that will give me nightmares for as long as it takes to sort Brexit out......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 24-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
So, who exactly is in charge after June 7th? We have no Deputy Prime Minister (May didn't appoint one), although Damian Green is First Secretary of State. Is he left holding the baby, or are we effectively actually rudderless? Or is the outgoing PM allowed to nominate a deputy when she does a runner?
Old 24-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Aside from the intractable problem of Europe there really are some quick wins for a new Tory prime minister.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Crow Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
So, who exactly is in charge after June 7th? We have no Deputy Prime Minister (May didn't appoint one), although Damian Green is First Secretary of State. Is he left holding the baby, or are we effectively actually rudderless? Or is the outgoing PM allowed to nominate a deputy when she does a runner?
It's a bizarre quirk of her announcement (I think, and I may be wrong) but she hasn't actually resigned yet. The announcement was that she will resign on 7 June, but will remain as PM until the Tory leadership contest finishes.

In theory, there's probably nothing to stop her changing her mind and not resigning on that date, but if she does then my understanding is that she'll remain PM until her replacement is appointed.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:11 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Rome View Post
A horrible Home Secretary and a car-crash Prime Minister, who is either self-deluded to an incredible degree or an accomplished liar.

Her resignation speech was one long "it's not my fault - look at all of the wonderful things I've done" apologia for her period of total misrule.

And she's paved the way for even worse to come. A plague on her and all her corrupt Westminster colleagues (of whatever political colour) who put self interest above the future of the country.
Good post.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
One final time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
I'd rather May in charcge than Cameron, we are likely to get a much better deal. Made of stern stuff is May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
I disagree. I think she's done ok.
History will show she was the right person in the right place at the right time for Brexit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
She's not my cup of tea, but I don't think you could say she's incompetent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
That if nothing else shows her political ability.

...She's carrying out the chosen will of the people in Brexit...
...She hasn't been caught out by anything else...
she has the backbenchers largely under control...
.... She deals with every attempt to criticise or discredit her effectively.
....there is nothing to suggest she's incompetent at all. .
Old 24-05-2019, 01:24 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
No sympathy from me whatsoever. Poor politician, awful Home Secretary and truly dreadful Prime Minister.
No sympathy at all? Agree with what you say but on a human level I can't help but feel sorry for her.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:26 PM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Pretty much true.

But here's the thing, to become PM who did she promise and what? Particularly in order to undercut support for Leadsom.

It is such a shame Cameron didn't set up a cross party/civil service/banking&business committee to guide and steer Brexit and put Brexit into the hands of the competent rather than the shrill.

By resigning he politicised it. He could even have set up the committee and then resigned. The point is it did not have to be a party political issue (although always a tory party issue) and being such has served neither of the main parties well, let alone the country...

Good post, she has been a disaster as pm, probably the worst in the last 50 years. As grey as major, and as toothless as brown. She inherited a nest of vipers, a weak opposition with its own brexit issues, and really wasnt able to listen. It was inevitable this would come, but it should have come sooner, for that i have no sympathy, but the human side of me did feel some sympathy for her today. She clearly , however misguided, and ineptly, did think she was doing her best. it cant have been an easy thing to do even if it was the right thing to do.

I'm not perfect i'm Palace, which is like perfect... plus awesome !
Old 24-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Smudging at Selhurst

smudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Now the fun begins

Boris will get elected and will try and force through BREXIT on a no deal which will force a vote of no confidence

Election in the Autumn - BREXIT party win and Nige becomes PM

I emigrate shortly after just popping back for Palace games and Milkshakes
Old 24-05-2019, 01:28 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
She is staying on until a new leader is in place is my understanding. But if she steps down before I think it is David Lidington who will take the reins.

I know, David who? Okay he is not entirely anonymous but he is no prominent figure so should he trusted to take on the caretaker role?