Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 22-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapham Rover View Post
For some yes - but there were others the reverse - on the doorstep I found more people who had never voted before in their lives who were going to vote in 2017 than I have ever found before and all of them were going to vote for Corbyn. He activated a vote that basically didn't exist before (although Dominic Cummings may have signed a fair few up in 2016) he also motivated a huge army of young people - you saw the massive outbursts of enthusiasm in 2017 at places like Glastonbury? Some shiny-suited Trudeau-alike just wouldn't have got those. No way. Seriously I bought the "toxic" argument pre-2017, I don't think it stands up now. Something much more complex is going on.
You still haven't provided an answer as to why Corbyn polls so badly compared to the Labour party.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
. Seriously I bought the "toxic" argument pre-2017, I don't think it stands up now. Something much more complex is going on.
Yes.

Couldn't possibly be Corbyn at fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se1eagle View Post

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
As an aside, Ian Austen has quit Labour, although is not joining the new faction.

Edit as has been mentioned..

Last edited by gold76; 22-02-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Oh come on.

Wouldn't you say the timing is designed to assist them? They just can't let him in because it's too obviously ridiculous. It's just 2016, version 3.0 or whatever we're up to now.
Ok, you win. It is definitely a TIG issue, even though he's not joining them, and definitely not a Labout issue, even though that's who he's just resigned from.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:08 AM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I'm not sure why it's absurd. Austin has left the Labour Party because he does not agree with its hard left shift under Corbyn. But he's not joining the Independent Group because they are anti-Brexit and he is not.
What are Labour's hard left policies?
Old 22-02-2019, 10:09 AM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
To be honest a deal worth doing if it can lead to the revoking of article 50. Some things are more important than party politics
They don’t have to prop up the tories to get that result.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
They don’t have to prop up the tories to get that result.
The post you are answering says it shouldn’t be about just party politics!!!

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-02-2019, 10:18 AM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
The post you are answering says it shouldn’t be about just party politics!!!
Which is my point. There are many other ways to get that result which they haven’t chosen.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:
My point he's done this because he hates social democracy not because of common ground on Europe. He's clearly done this to support and enhance TIG and in cahoots with them - even though he fundamentally disagrees with them on the dominant issue of the day and the one that TIG are claiming as their key raison d'etre. That's the absurdity. Like trying to make this about "anti-semitism in the Labour Party" - as if this explained why a bunch of tories would join. They just can't get their story straight.
Ffs.

Cricket wanker.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Ian Austin (Labour MP) has quit now but not to the independent group.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Even the splitters have splitters.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yes, and I replied that I don't trust Corbyn to deliver it, based on the man himself and the people he has surrounded himself with.

Labour is almost neck and neck in the polls, the public is generally supportive of the Labour policies, and yet Corbyn has the worst unfavourability ratings since those polls existed. What will it take for you to see that the problem is Corbyn?

It's no wonder people think Corbynism is a cult when the members are more wedded to the man than they are to the policies, or the good of the party.
That's the thing that saddens me the most.

This hateful party who show little or no compassion to the poor and working class, who rule by divide and conquer, who swig champagne whilst the elderly struggle to foodbanks, who hand wring at the inner city violence, the I'm alright Jack attitude..

Yes those ****ers.

Without effective opposition, they will be in power till at least 2027, 8 more years of inequality and austerity, it doesn't bear thinking about
Old 22-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Keeping The Faith

Quote:
He isn't "toxic"; the 2017 GE result was the largest increase in the Labour vote, basically ever. The Labour vote in England went up by over 40% after just 2 years of the most beleaguered and attacked leadership ever (maybe = to M.Foot). This is literally unprecedented in British political history - you just can't call someone who does this "toxic"; it's flying in the face of the facts.

So I can agree that he's marmite - ie toxic to some for sure (but remember so was "red Ed") - I can't just dismiss him as toxic. For sure I wish there was some shiny charismatic non-marmite version who everyone loves but I can't see them anywhere. Until then I'll vote on policy and - as usual - the principle of least-worst, which is enshrined in our constitution basically.
His inability to convince a viable alternative to Brexit, to listen to those in his party for a 2nd Vote or any other option and his total abject failure to deal with the anti Semite rabble rousers among his ranks make it a spectacular own goal and shooting of oneself in the (Michael) Foot.

To lose one MP is careless, he's lost 9 in a week!

Alas, the perception for me anyway, is he's fiddled and flapped whilst all around him burns..
Old 22-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
The problem is if not Corbyn then who?
Someone who isn't a Eurosceptic antisemite hopefully.

It doesn't seem a lot to ask for from a Labour leader.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Keeping The Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
Even the splitters have splitters.
We're not the people's front of Judea, we're the Judean people's front!

I'm joshing of course..
Old 22-02-2019, 10:41 AM
handwringing islamofacist

Clapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
You still haven't provided an answer as to why Corbyn polls so badly compared to the Labour party.
To be fair the question hasn't been asked up until now - except by myself - and I've said I don't think there's an easy answer as to what's going on. But the obvious answer is that he's been utterly monstered from the moment he looked like winning in 2015 until now.

It's interesting reading the slightly whiny memoirs of the leaders of the Stronger In campaign - dominated as it was by tories of one stripe or another - they were utterly shocked by, and unable to successfully deal with the level of media hostility they had to deal with from the tabloids. They'd never encountered it before and simply didn't know what to do with it.

Exactly why this mostering didn't translate into a disaster at the polls is 2017 is another question and the harder one to answer I think but - as I've argued a few times - one reason is that Labour did so well in 2017 not despite the monstering but because of it - it reaffirmed Corbyn's outsider status and basically proves he's not in the cozy little governing club that runs this country for its won benefit. It looks like quite a few people think this. On the other hand quite a few people do buy it and vote/poll against him accordingly. It may not come as shock to you, but I think the upshot is that the UK may be rather badly split at the moment.

Walter Benjamin
Old 22-02-2019, 10:46 AM

Clapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
Ok, you win. It is definitely a TIG issue, even though he's not joining them, and definitely not a Labout issue, even though that's who he's just resigned from.
It's not necessarily a you-win/I lose question is it? It's absolutely plain that Austin's key motive is to bring down Corbyn - it's nothing to do with Brexit, the man's a hardline brexiteer ffs. But he's acting in concert with a load of other people who also want to bring down Corbyn and say they think Bremain is the big key, just like others are claiming its anti-semitism.

The one thing they all agree is on is destroying Corbyn & Corbynism - ie mild social democracy. If it walks like a bunch of neo-liberals and quacks like a bunch of neo-liberals, my guess it's a bunch of neoliberals.

Although to be fair to those who disagree with this reading it's desperately trying to do duck-quacky ventriloquism that sounds like it's saying "Bremain." That's why Austen just adds amusement value.

Walter Benjamin
Old 22-02-2019, 10:54 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
It's not necessarily a you-win/I lose question is it? It's absolutely plain that Austin's key motive is to bring down Corbyn - it's nothing to do with Brexit, the man's a hardline brexiteer ffs. But he's acting in concert with a load of other people who also want to bring down Corbyn and say they think Bremain is the big key, just like others are claiming its anti-semitism.

The one thing they all agree is on is destroying Corbyn & Corbynism - ie mild social democracy. If it walks like a bunch of neo-liberals and quacks like a bunch of neo-liberals, my guess it's a bunch of neoliberals.

Although to be fair to those who disagree with this reading it's desperately trying to do duck-quacky ventriloquism that sounds like it's saying "Bremain." That's why Austen just adds amusement value.
The line 'claiming it's anti-semitism' nicely sums up the Labour Party leadership's problem with anti-semitism. It thinks it's just a made up stick to beat them with, and refuses to address it as a real issue.

Of the Labour MPs resigned so far: one was Jewish; one was adopted by Jewish parents and one had a close relationship with the Jewish community through her parliamentary work. But of course it's just neo-liberalism.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 22-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
To be fair the question hasn't been asked up until now - except by myself - and I've said I don't think there's an easy answer as to what's going on. But the obvious answer is that he's been utterly monstered from the moment he looked like winning in 2015 until now.

It's interesting reading the slightly whiny memoirs of the leaders of the Stronger In campaign - dominated as it was by tories of one stripe or another - they were utterly shocked by, and unable to successfully deal with the level of media hostility they had to deal with from the tabloids. They'd never encountered it before and simply didn't know what to do with it.

Exactly why this mostering didn't translate into a disaster at the polls is 2017 is another question and the harder one to answer I think but - as I've argued a few times - one reason is that Labour did so well in 2017 not despite the monstering but because of it - it reaffirmed Corbyn's outsider status and basically proves he's not in the cozy little governing club that runs this country for its won benefit. It looks like quite a few people think this. On the other hand quite a few people do buy it and vote/poll against him accordingly. It may not come as shock to you, but I think the upshot is that the UK may be rather badly split at the moment.
There's a very easy answer. Corbyn is massively unpopular - whether that's because has been unfairly monstered or not, he is - and the Labour Party is popular.

Replace Corbyn with a popular leader, or even a less unpopular leader, and Labour would reap the benefits. But that's not going to happen, because he won't stand down, and the membership don't want him to stand down. It's genuinely bizarre.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Someone who isn't a Eurosceptic antisemite hopefully.
No one who actually cares about racism or anti-semitism would use this issue as a political football. It's a very dangerous game. It means that both "racism" and "anti-semitism" lose all meaning, yet they are real things with extremely dangerous consequences. It amazes me that smug bourgeois liberals are so happy to do this.

Walter Benjamin
Old 22-02-2019, 10:59 AM

etu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineetu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Have to say, insofar as this isn't just semantics, I'd go with marmite rather than toxic too. He clearly does have a lot of positive qualities as a politician - particularly when campaigning. The huge self-inflicted wounds of the Tory party's campaign shouldn't detract entirely from the fact that he was on a hiding to nothing at the start of it.

To me, he's pretty clearly a politician who looks like a 180 lbs of chewed bubblegum when in Westminster or dealing with the press or with his own party, but a guy who does well at campaigning. And tbh, the fact that he is toxic with a lot of the Britain helps him reach other parts. These are good days for outsider politics.