Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
When I open the app to read a new piece by Matt, then I inevitably stay on for quite a while.
I really like the content that I read, but sometimes there isn't enough to keep me on for a long period of time.

Maybe they do miss some shorter form content/match reports etc.

I'd like to see what other writers think of us as a squad and club after only seeing us for one match.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Some interesting comments here. Hope you don't mind me coming on to post.

I'm not going to try to 'sell' anything, just give some thoughts.

Those who have content fatigue - totally understand that, there's a lot of stuff out there. A lot of it is noise, right? Hodgson said this, Joel Ward said that, Gary Cahill said this. The Athletic is trying to cut through that to give meaningful content. That might not change the way you feel of course, and that's totally acceptable - it's not for everyone.

If you have the free trial then I would strongly encourage people to read stuff other than just Palace, even if it's just a couple of bits - follow the Premier League and you will definitely find some stuff you want to read. I would imagine if you're mostly reading Palace stuff and not too bothered about the rest of the teams then it's the more general things that will interest you, e.g Benitez, or Simon Hughes' piece on Bolton which can be applied across the board and even be relatable (as painful as that might be).

It takes time to sort things out as well. Obviously can't say too much but I've got some stuff planned that I think will be really interesting to read - recently had a piece up where Alan Lee talked about *that* incident with Mile Jedinak for the first time, for example. Dom Fifield is going to join, Oli Kay and George Caulkin joined today. There will be more content once everyone has actually started.

Ed wrote this on why The Athletic has a paywall: To view the link you have to Register or Login

As I said, I hope people don't mind me coming on and giving my thoughts. If you've subscribed already and are enjoying my stuff then thank you, it's much appreciated.

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
Old 04-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is here
Really pleased I subscribed.
Initially for Woosie's articles but have subsequently enjoyed stuff about other clubs/players.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:11 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Can the thread title be changed please?
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 04-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Can't re member

Jules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is here
The Atlantic (the OP means the Athletic)

Woosie, you’re definitely welcome to comment on here. I’m no expert but I find your writing really well. Also noticing a reduction in those painful amateur journo phrases like “injection of youth” and “shot-stopper”, but it must be hard to always avoid them. Probably a fair bit of pressure to maintain regular good quality output too.

I’m finding some good stuff. The piece about the Shearer/ Owen falling out was interesting.

Mods - don’t change the thread title.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:09 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is here
Another good interview in The Athletic today with Chris Brunt. Compares his managers at West Brom. Very critical of Pepe Mel and Pardew. Thought Pulis was a clean sheet one trick pony but is effusive in his praise for Roy
Old 06-09-2019, 12:59 AM

Optimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Really enjoying my subscription. No hyperbole or headlines for clickbait.

Very easy to set what content you want and change it if necessary.

No perceived agenda like the daily papers. Interesting articles and look forward with interest.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:03 AM
Loosefish Scapegrace

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
You can only pay in US or Canadian Dollars?

Woosie's 50% link is no longer valid, it says 'here's a 30% off offer instead' and then gives you a discounted price at 12.5% off... in USD or CAD?
Old 06-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Littlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I like it especially the more random articles about ex player, I will say I don't read it every day mind.

Woosie - Does the fact that some of the Old Boy papers just rehash some of your stories show the main reason that the Athletic was set up in the UK in the first place???
Old 06-09-2019, 07:03 AM

Littlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I like it especially the more random articles about ex players, I will say I don't read it every day mind.

Woosie - Does the fact that some of the Old Boy papers just rehash some of your stories show the main reason that the Athletic was set up in the UK in the first place???
Old 06-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
Some interesting comments here. Hope you don't mind me coming on to post.

I'm not going to try to 'sell' anything, just give some thoughts.

Those who have content fatigue - totally understand that, there's a lot of stuff out there. A lot of it is noise, right? Hodgson said this, Joel Ward said that, Gary Cahill said this. The Athletic is trying to cut through that to give meaningful content. That might not change the way you feel of course, and that's totally acceptable - it's not for everyone.

If you have the free trial then I would strongly encourage people to read stuff other than just Palace, even if it's just a couple of bits - follow the Premier League and you will definitely find some stuff you want to read. I would imagine if you're mostly reading Palace stuff and not too bothered about the rest of the teams then it's the more general things that will interest you, e.g Benitez, or Simon Hughes' piece on Bolton which can be applied across the board and even be relatable (as painful as that might be).

It takes time to sort things out as well. Obviously can't say too much but I've got some stuff planned that I think will be really interesting to read - recently had a piece up where Alan Lee talked about *that* incident with Mile Jedinak for the first time, for example. Dom Fifield is going to join, Oli Kay and George Caulkin joined today. There will be more content once everyone has actually started.

Ed wrote this on why The Athletic has a paywall: To view the link you have to Register or Login

As I said, I hope people don't mind me coming on and giving my thoughts. If you've subscribed already and are enjoying my stuff then thank you, it's much appreciated.
Really enjoy your writing Woosie. My only concern was that I (as is usual for me) only found the Palace content interesting.

If I'm honest, I stand by that comment. However, I'm going to keep the subscription, partly because the quantity of Palace stuff on there is enough to keep me interested, and partly because I actually agree with the premise that paying for reliable, quality content is as it should be. People have to stop assuming everything on the internet should be free.

Thanks for your PM'd offer, its good to see such confidence (you are a providing quality content), but I won't hold you to it.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Excellent article about Matt Jansen in there today ( not Woosie's).Has a book coming out so guess wants the publicity.
Old 13-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
I went to Cork to interview Damien Delaney. It was probably the best interview I've ever done.

Talked about Frank de Boer (definitely not a fan)
Hodgson (loves him)
Wanting to take his son to Selhurst
An "eclectic group of wrong-uns" but a "rolls-royce of a team"
Unpacking smoked salmon from the back of a truck at Cork Airport

And a lot more besides (including politics).

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
You can only pay in US or Canadian Dollars?

Woosie's 50% link is no longer valid, it says 'here's a 30% off offer instead' and then gives you a discounted price at 12.5% off... in USD or CAD?
Try To view the link you have to Register or Login - 40% off but I think the promo ends today

Old 13-09-2019, 08:05 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Following the FYP link it shows 50% still AWFOW

Old 13-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Love the Damo piece thanks Matt.
Any chance of you interviewing Doogie so that we can be told what his day job actually entails please ?
Old 13-09-2019, 02:49 PM

ForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Delightful piece on Damo. It’s lovely stuff like this - no BS, well written, insightfully by a fan - that makes a subscription to the Athletic worthwhile.

Long may it continue; it is clearly giving authors like Matt some freedom and leeway to write decent stuff they are interested in, that avid supporters will want to read.

Good for them - and us!
Old 13-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Out of interest, wasn’t Dom Fifield due to be joining? He still seems very active at The Guardian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 13-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

He's still joining

Old 13-09-2019, 08:24 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
He's still joining
There are a few others still working their notice aren't there, Woosie?

edit - good interview with Delaney
Old 13-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
Out of interest, wasn’t Dom Fifield due to be joining? He still seems very active at The Guardian.
He's just posted on Twitter he's written his last story for the Guardian