Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

View Poll Results: What's the best Floyd Album?
Piper at the Gates of Dawn 8 4.88%
A Saucerful of Secrets 0 0%
Soundtrack to "More" 1 0.61%
Ummagumma 3 1.83%
Atom Heart Mother 4 2.44%
Meddle 12 7.32%
Obscured By Clouds 2 1.22%
Dark Side of the Moon 49 29.88%
Wish You Were Here 32 19.51%
Animals 13 7.93%
The Wall 19 11.59%
The Final Cut 5 3.05%
I don't like Pink Floyd but thought I'd vote anyway 16 9.76%
A Momentary Lapse of Reason 0 0%
The Division Bell 0 0%
The Endless River 0 0%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-06-2003, 07:30 AM
From the sunny Side

sunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ummagumma! that's the ticket...

Can we have a Hawkwind thread next please!
Old 30-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ohh nice thread, Ok i could not and never would ever disrespsect anyones views on music. So at this point i will say that early pink floyd was one of my 1st musical loves. Re Yes, anyone that has heard "Yours is no disgrace" would have to agree that that one particular song is up there with the very best that pink floyd have ever produced. Its like trying to compare chalk and cheese when assessing bands. Anyway back to the point of the thread, My paticular favourite floyd album would be Meddle. Quite simply is was a milestone and probably the most important album that floyd ever made.

My top three would be

Meddle
dark side of the moon
obscured by clouds
Old 01-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Can I just reiterate that anything after the Final Cut is NOT a Pink Floyd album. That includes the Division Bell.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Can I just reiterate that anything after the Final Cut is NOT a Pink Floyd album. That includes the Division Bell.
That's a bit harsh. Next you'll be saying 'Free As a Bird' wasn't the Beatles!

Actually I like The Division Bell - it even has the first Nick Mason songwriting credit since 1973! It does seem heavily relient on outside writers (though I did read a claim that Dave Gilmour was too generous in giving credit. Not sure about that one) and players when they did the concert, so you do have a fair point.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason was a bit too Eighties for me, although there are some good moments.

Have you got Roger Waters' recent live album? Just wondering how his voice holds up, as on Amused to Death it seems shot to hell in places.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:11 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
I used to like the vinyl albums. The sleeves burnt easily, and you could melt the contents into fetching plant pots or ashtrays.
CDs are so much more work, and I'm thinking of investing in a blowtorch.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE

Have you got Roger Waters' recent live album? Just wondering how his voice holds up, as on Amused to Death it seems shot to hell in places.
Yeah, Waters' "In The Flesh" live album is pretty good. PP Arnold is on backing vocals and helps hold his voice up.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:30 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
How the f*ck did I miss this thread? Outstanding stuff.

El is right when he says I have a softspot for Yes.
This has to be qualified though.
I have a general, healthy hatred for all things prog, and have never been into Floyd, Genesis, Led Zep etc.

Yes are simply a better proposition because they genuinely rock, and have, believe it or not, soul and funk influences from their dark pasts, particularly in their vocal harmonising.
As individual musicians, they sh*t all over Genesis and Floyd, and
I don't understand how Yes' 'complicated' music is any less laudable than Floyd's?
It's always the classic 'too many notes' argument.
I found punk in 1976, and never bought another Yes album again, though I do still go and see them live whenever they venture back to these shores. Funnily enough, I saw them at Hammersmith last night (how topical is this?), where they put on a two and a half hour show, and played to an audience that crossed all age ranges.
They apparently went down a storm on the One World Stage at Glasto last weekend.

When we have discussions like this on the BBS, I really miss TMJWAT, who always produced some fantastic posts in the music threads.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Stella, face it - the 'too many notes' argument is the absolute killer for Yes, and pretty much all the other prog bands except Supertramp (if they count?). Floyd were the only prog band to actually be consistently listenable in a manner which stands the test of time. People in 100 years will still be buying D.S.O.M., Wish You Were Here, and the like; I doubt very much that Going for the One will get a look in!
Old 03-07-2003, 12:54 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Stella, face it - the 'too many notes' argument is the absolute killer for Yes, and pretty much all the other prog bands except Supertramp (if they count?). Floyd were the only prog band to actually be consistently listenable in a manner which stands the test of time. People in 100 years will still be buying D.S.O.M., Wish You Were Here, and the like; I doubt very much that Going for the One will get a look in!
Well, if you want to get technical, Yes are simply not known for long meandering solos, and originally came to critics attention because of their arranging abilities, which got them branded as purveyors of 'symphonic' rock.
All of the instruments parts are arranged to create the whole, rather than having a rhythm section that pins down the track while some c*nt w*nks endlessly over the top.
It's a subtle distinction, but valid.
I'm certainly not a champion of all things Yes. All the stuff they did with Rabin in the eighties is, in my humble opinion, the worst kind of AOR, and the Buggles collaboration was laughable shyte.
I'm glad they are now back to doing what they do best, with the classic seventies line-up, and I can happily listen to a Yes track, followed by a bit of The Clash or Joy Division, some Beefheart, a splash of Eno/early Roxy, and some Millie Jackson in one sitting. Floyd and Genesis, I'm sorry to say, you can keep.
DSOTM is an interesting one. At one point there were literally thousands of copies in bargain bins and second-hand record shops, because that album above all others was considered the most over-indulgent b*llocks ever recorded, but times change and, as T.S. Eliot argued, society's perception and acceptance of past cultural efforts is a fluid thang, because historical perspective is always influenced by the present.

I don't expect that the Yes back catalogue will suddenly become hugely popular but, having said that, it is interesting that all of the seventies albums have recently been remastered and are selling respectable amounts.

By the way, even closing in on sixty, Jon Anderson is still a hilarious hippy troll. He rambled like f*ck last night, and the band had to start playing the next track just to get him to shut up.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:13 PM

Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychokiller
It's still called Pink Floyd though, you not putting it on the poll won't stop people from liking it if they want to.
Quote:
Originally posted by Smurph
A song that really is a rip off of the Are You being Served theme tune is Elastica's Connection.
Nothing rips off Are You Being Served better than Rock DJ by Robbie Williams! I've lost what your post was originally commenting on, I presume it was the cash register in Money?

I don't know their stuff well enough to have a favourite, I've heard Dark Side of the Moon a few times and there's some good stuff on there. Maybe I'll have another listen to some later.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:38 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally posted by Twyford Bee

I don't know their stuff well enough to have a favourite, I've heard Dark Side of the Moon a few times and there's some good stuff on there. Maybe I'll have another listen to some later.
Save yourself the trouble by playing a Radiohead album backwards, with the speakers comfortably resting at the bottom of a full bath, drop some magic mushrooms, and put a lampshade on yer head. That should just about approximate the experience.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:29 PM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
I have a soft spot for DSOTM as it kept me company, along with a few other albums, when i was a young lad living alone in a flat in London aged 16. My favourite Floyd track however is Shine on you Crazy Diamonds as I love Gilmour's guitar on it.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:00 AM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
His voice is a lot better these days and most of the live tracks are better versions than the album ones. Still does too much Floyd stuff in the 2.5 hours show, though.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:32 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Floyd were the only prog band to actually be consistently listenable in a manner which stands the test of time. People in 100 years will still be buying D.S.O.M., Wish You Were Here, and the like; I doubt very much that Going for the One will get a look in!
What about Tormato?

Seriously though, I agree wholeheartedly DM. I was a fan of both bands since my teenage years and have the majority of the albums of both, but I almost never get Yes out anymore whereas Floyd are frequent selections for the car.

The Yes album I play the most is Relayer and yet I'm given to understand that most fans think it's crap.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:01 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders

The Yes album I play the most is Relayer and yet I'm given to understand that most fans think it's crap.

On the contrary, Gooders, fans were ecstatic last year when they played tracks from Relayer live for the first time in over twenty years. That tour sold out world-wide on the strength of that set list.
Many cite it as their favourite album.

I just always found Floyd mind-numbingly dull, and in Waters had one of the most pretentious lyricists around.
At least Anderson just wanders off into some almost indecipherable world of hippy tone poetry, which he admits often has very little 'meaning'.
Waters has always bored me to death with his 'meaningful' observations.
They have always been more Spinal Tap with their stage shows than just about anyone around.
The Wall. What was all that about?
Pay good money to see the band in an aircraft hanger, disappear behind polystyrene. Fantastic value for money.
As for the earlier lauded 360 degree sound system, I've heard them use it, and, depending on where you sat, it was sh*t.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:31 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Floyd were the only prog band to actually be consistently listenable in a manner which stands the test of time. People in 100 years will still be buying D.S.O.M., Wish You Were Here, and the like; I doubt very much that Going for the One will get a look in!
Don't know about that. I never liked ELP at the time but having now seen the Isle of Wight 70 DVD they were awesome. Likewise Focus. Anyway, Dark Side of the Moon for Me
Old 04-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Quote:
Originally posted by Stellavista
The Wall. What was all that about?
I assume this is a rhetorical question?

However, The Wall does make reasonable sense once it's explained - I'll oblige if you need a few pointers!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:05 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
I assume this is a rhetorical question?

However, The Wall does make reasonable sense once it's explained - I'll oblige if you need a few pointers!
There must be some government white papers that make sense, but I don't feel inclined to read them.
Waters can shove his literal and psychological bricks up his ar*e. In fact, he can set the controls for the heart of his b*m.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Quote:
Originally posted by Stellavista
Waters can shove his literal and psychological bricks up his ar*e. In fact, he can set the controls for the heart of his b*m.
Methinks you have used that joke before!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:16 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet

Thanks for that Stella - must have just been some know-nothing music journo's talking out of their arses (again).

The Gates of Delirium is one of my favourite pieces of music and Sound Chaser is awesome.

If nothing else, this thread has inspired me to dig out Going For The One for the first time in yonks.

p.s. I didn't like The Wall much either, but would argue until the cows come home that DSoTM is one of the greatest albums ever, and that Us and Them is one of the outstanding album tracks ever.