Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 13-08-2019, 09:04 AM
No Self Control

catty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Iran, Empire of the Mind by Michael Axworthy. A few years out of date, but the most concise I could find, unless anyone has any suggestions?
Old 13-08-2019, 07:38 PM
South London and proud

croydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Harry Potter, meets trainspotting meets Cracker.

Really enjoyed it and have ordered the sequel.
Old 13-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Christ Mark.....That must have been about 15 years ago.

Funnily enough I'm just starting "All the tea in China" having read and very much enjoyed the others.
I liked it a lot .
Old 13-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Just finished Fortress by Andy McNab.

Before you scoff although it was published in 2015, some of the themes in the book could be like reading a newspaper today - Brexit-like themes around the demonisation of Muslims and returnees from the Middle East conflicts causing civil unrest and an unpopular government seemingly moving to the far right, to garner more support.
Old 13-08-2019, 08:30 PM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Christ Mark.....That must have been about 15 years ago.

Funnily enough I'm just starting "All the tea in China" having read and very much enjoyed the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I liked it a lot .
Enjoying All the tea . May read embers again. I have more time now.
Old 13-08-2019, 08:49 PM
I'm just cheese

davemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is here
Anyone read the Don Wilmslow trilogy? Meant to be great
Old 13-08-2019, 09:04 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Storyteller Jody picoult superb read. I saw someone recommended tattooist of auswitch. This is superior in my opinion.
Old 13-08-2019, 09:06 PM
No Self Control

catty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
Storyteller Jody picoult superb read. I saw someone recommended tattooist of auswitch. This is superior in my opinion.
I totally agree with this.
Old 13-08-2019, 09:51 PM

norwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernieres, and A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and dipping into Mythos by Stephen Fry.
Old 13-08-2019, 11:54 PM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwoodeagle View Post
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and dipping into Mythos by Stephen Fry.
I enjoyed ASHONE by BB a few years ago, and am about to start Mythos.

Just finishing the first Game of Thrones book - I've really enjoyed it (haven't really watched it on the tellybox except for a couple of episodes).
Old 14-08-2019, 03:13 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I just finished Michael Connelly's introductory book to Detective Renee Ballard, "The Late Show".

Having read all 20 of the Harry Bosch series it was a natural progression on my part. Connelly had written Bosch into retirement so had to find a new character if he wanted to continue writing, which he seems to want to do with abundance. My concern with this Renee Ballard character is she comes across as a younger, female version of Harry Bosch, which is somewhat disappointing. Flaunting the law and authority in pursuit of solving a crime, and with unnatural energy and stamina.

I see in the next book in the series she teams up with Bosch, so I guess Connelly has found a way to keep the old guy going.
Old 15-08-2019, 07:10 AM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by croydonexile View Post
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Harry Potter, meets trainspotting meets Cracker.

Really enjoyed it and have ordered the sequel.
I've read most of the series and while enjoyable I found they started to run out of steam a bit in the later ones.
Old 15-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Currently reading the latest (last?) in the Mick Herron Slow Horses series "Joe Country".

So far back to his best with a little less prattling on that he tends to do in his other books.

A bit of an odd experience sitting on a float in a swimming pool in Southern California in 35C weather reading about a freezing cold snow storm in North Wales. I'm convinced it was making the water colder!

I might not report in on this book, as it might be hard to do without spoilers.
Just finished it. Definitely not the last as they are already selling the as yet untitled seventh book in the series.

Did you read the novella before it? Worth reading as it explains the background to Lech etc.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 15-08-2019, 09:49 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Did you read the novella before it? Worth reading as it explains the background to Lech etc.
No I haven't I'll take a look for it. I have a couple of other samples of his downloaded that are not in the slow Horses series or the Oxford series.

I try to take a break between his books due to his distinctive style that can get a bit repetitive in too bigger doses.
Old 16-08-2019, 05:33 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I just finished "Stoner" by John Williams. Had it on the shelf since the year it became a rediscovered classic, 2013. I hadn't opened it because the adjective which most appears on the back was "sad". I didn't think it was sad, though. Rather graceful and affirming.
I think CK recommended me a book called "Embers" a few years back, which I enjoyed greatly - I return the favour. You will enjoy this, I think.

Fabulous book
Old 16-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Snidey little rat.

Maidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Mr Bryndza has a strange idea of the weather....one minute his character is at a crime reconstruction in Dulwich in torrential rain and then an hour later, shes in a pub in Forest Hill enjoying the afternoon sunshine.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 16-08-2019, 10:06 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Mr Bryndza has a strange idea of the weather....one minute his character is at a crime reconstruction in Dulwich in torrential rain and then an hour later, shes in a pub in Forest Hill enjoying the afternoon sunshine.
Sounds about right for England!
Old 19-08-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
Fabulous book
That's 3 of us then
Old 19-08-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Sounds about right for England!
Dead accurate for last week
Old 19-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Snidey little rat.

Maidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaidstoned Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Today her heroine leaves her flat off of London Road in Forest Hill to go for a quick run....round Hilly Fields

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.