Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Best console for an 8 year old?

I've blundered into this section with no idea & seeking help please.

The last console I owned was a PS2. Things seem to have progressed somewhat since then. I am utterly clueless so turn to the BBS for assistance. I'd rather the 8 year old played football or read a book, but I can't stand in the way of technology. What console would you suggest please?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My Kids (Aged 7-12) play the Xbox One.

I set it up so Microsoft sends me weekly reports of what they play and for how long.

Quite handy. Good selection of games.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
PS4 or Xbox One. Go for the one that’s most popular with his mates. Unless your sons idea of a good game is something like Pokemon or Mario, then maybe a Nintendo Switch.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 08-09-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:18 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post

The last console I owned was a PS2. Things seem to have progressed somewhat since then. I am utterly clueless so turn to the BBS for assistance. I'd rather the 8 year old played football or read a book, but I can't stand in the way of technology. What console would you suggest please?
get him a raspberry pi and download mame software. You can have 3000+ classics all for 60. Super Mario World, Mario 3, Sonic 1 & 2, Zelda, Megaman to name but a few are all still extremely playable and basically operate off a "pick up and play" process. I gave my nieces one and they absolutely love it.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
I’ve got a PS4 and a Switch.

The Switch is a great piece of kit.
Can be played on the TV and on the move.

Splatoon, Mario Kart and Super Mario Odyssey are all great games that kids (and adults) would love, and plenty more. My younger cousins love the Switch.

The PS4 is obviously brilliant, but I don’t know if it is designed for a younger audience (IMO).

I barely play my PS4 any more apart from FIFA to be honest.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 AM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
8?

A kindle
Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice, much appreciated. We were leaning towards the Xbox, as that is what his mates have got etc but we're going for the Switch instead for multiplayer Mario Kart. And you can get FIFA on it as he's a football nut. Cheers.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Xbox FTW...

Old 10-09-2018, 11:32 AM

you div.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Mmmmmm Nina

james powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjames powell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post

Do NOT I repeat do NOT show them Fortnite. Unless you never want to see them again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
Gayle is just not a goal scorer
BookFace
Gamertag: II BARNEY G II
Old 10-09-2018, 11:38 AM

He's played that a couple of times (if it's the Battle Royale type game?) before and loved it. My missus isn't too keen though. But she will allow Street Fighter II by all accounts.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:45 AM
STFU Donny

TopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is here
Switch has fifa, minecraft, fortnite, street fighter 2 so a good choice. Labo is also apparently very clever and cool and good for kids that age.

Online gaming isn’t as slick as PS4 and Xbox though. And you’ll have a pay a subscription for it soon. And the games/hardware can cost quite a bit more than other platforms.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:33 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
You have to pay a subscription for PS4...

PLenty of cheap games online for Switch too.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM
STFU Donny

TopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
You have to pay a subscription for PS4...

PLenty of cheap games online for Switch too.
Switch subscription is cheaper than PS4 and Xbox but you don't get the free games, discounts etc. And using a separate smartphone app for voice chat is just a massive fanny.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:51 PM
It's a term of affection

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKnot View Post
Switch subscription is cheaper than PS4 and Xbox but you don't get the free games, discounts etc. And using a separate smartphone app for voice chat is just a massive fanny.
I'd rather one of those than a PS4.....
Old 10-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Cruddy Clique

PALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is here
Switch is excellent, that is all.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Maidstoned For Mod!

EryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
get him a raspberry pi and download mame software. You can have 3000+ classics all for 60. Super Mario World, Mario 3, Sonic 1 & 2, Zelda, Megaman to name but a few are all still extremely playable and basically operate off a "pick up and play" process. I gave my nieces one and they absolutely love it.
Come on now, be reasonable. I mean, I've done exactly that and am perfectly happy, but I'm a grown adult so it doesn't count

I support SC's decision to get the Switch. It's very obviously the best console for an 8-year-old imo. Obviously it lags behind the competition in a few areas, but I don't think any of that stuff is really relevant to a kid at that age. The stuff is offers that the others don't is going to make much more difference.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Jon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Couldn't recommend the switch enough. If you have it setup on the main telly and you want to watch something you can just unplug the handheld and they can carry on where they left off. Also can take the handheld out the house and play it, like if you're going away on holiday.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:15 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by james powell View Post
Do NOT I repeat do NOT show them Fortnite. Unless you never want to see them again.

.....and turn them into swearing, aggressive, rude gits!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Zahaaaaa oh yessssss

jono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It’s all about what console his mates at school play, because playing with friends makes the experience 100 times better