Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 29-01-2019, 02:19 PM

burgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Doncaster rovers v Crystal Palace,2nd round 1st leg, 6TH October 1981.

Anyone got any memories of this, i went on a club coach, we lost 1-0.
Only a few hundred went, we beat them 2-0 after extra time at Selhurst in the 2nd leg.

Last edited by burgess hill 84; 29-01-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 29-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Jim Cannon shoved Tommy Langley out of the way from taking a penalty apparently.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 29-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Jim Cannon shoved Tommy Langley out of the way from taking a penalty apparently.
Oops
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 29-01-2019, 03:41 PM

jjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 View Post
Anyone got any memories of this, i went on a club coach, we lost 1-0.
Only a few hundred went, we beat them 2-0 after extra time at Selhurst in the 2nd leg.
I went with a girl friend (l know how to treat the ladies!) on the coach as well. No real memories but wasn't the old ground opposite/very close to the racecourse? Pretty sure we went in the Donny supporters club before hand.
Old 29-01-2019, 04:24 PM

moverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeagle View Post

No real memories but wasn't the old ground opposite/very close to the racecourse? Pretty sure we went in the Donny supporters club before hand.
Yeah, it was across the road from the racecourse, where the ASDA is today..
Old 29-01-2019, 05:06 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Went to this one - very vague memory though, sat in the stand by the half-way line with the racecourse directly behind seperated by a road.

If memory serves at all, Dario Gradi had just been sacked and Steve Kember took over, we were generally crap in the League, but won quite a few Cup ties in both competitions under Kember - so of course, Noades decided to piss everyone off and put Mullery in charge at the end of that season - four seasons of utter shite from 1980/81 to 83/84 and it wasn't great either in the first season under Steve Coppell (19845/85) - we had so many average to poor players - contemporary fans would be having to be sectioned if they think we have poor players now compared to Billy Hughes, Brian Bason, Steve Galliers, David Price and Tommy Langley - by God we were grim back then! We still had Jim Cannon, Billy Gilbert, Vince Hilaire, Jerry Murphy and Ian Walsh, so a proportion of the team that were called the 'Team of the 80's' were left - I think they were the main reason we never got relegated back to the Third tier, but it was bloody hard going.

Palace went nearly 18 months without an away win - and even this wasn't one of them, we won the home leg 2-0 but lost 1-0 in this match, I think we had to wait another month until winning 1-0 at Wrexham in the League, our first away win since the 1979/80 season!

To give some perspective, Donny had just been promoted from Division Four and were about to be relegated back to thr basement, so to scrape through 2-1 on aggregate was hardly an achievement - can't remember the team, I think it was a mixture of the players I mentioned, not sure if Peter Nicholas was still with us, probably the last quality midfielder we had until we bought Geoff Thomas around six years later!
Old 29-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Your last sentence is a bit harsh on Kevin Taylor who put in a good shift in the middle of the park for us as Coppell began the transition from goalshy mediocrity to swashbuckling goal-festiness
Old 29-01-2019, 05:44 PM

david sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down lowdavid sylvian will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Your last sentence is a bit harsh on Kevin Taylor who put in a good shift in the middle of the park for us as Coppell began the transition from goalshy mediocrity to swashbuckling goal-festiness
Yep - Taylor, along with Alan Irvine, were two signings that were integral to the transition from the worst Palace team in my lifetime (81-84) to the heights of the late 80s.
Old 29-01-2019, 06:44 PM

grays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seen
I went to this game. I was working in Sheffield for a couple of weeks and was able to get the bus over there. I believe that it absolutely tipped down with rain most of the afternoon and early evening. We were poor, but luckily it was a two legged tie, so we were able to win at the Home leg.
Old 29-01-2019, 08:20 PM

burgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
Went to this one - very vague memory though, sat in the stand by the half-way line with the racecourse directly behind seperated by a road.

If memory serves at all, Dario Gradi had just been sacked and Steve Kember took over, we were generally crap in the League, but won quite a few Cup ties in both competitions under Kember - so of course, Noades decided to piss everyone off and put Mullery in charge at the end of that season - four seasons of utter shite from 1980/81 to 83/84 and it wasn't great either in the first season under Steve Coppell (19845/85) - we had so many average to poor players - contemporary fans would be having to be sectioned if they think we have poor players now compared to Billy Hughes, Brian Bason, Steve Galliers, David Price and Tommy Langley - by God we were grim back then! We still had Jim Cannon, Billy Gilbert, Vince Hilaire, Jerry Murphy and Ian Walsh, so a proportion of the team that were called the 'Team of the 80's' were left - I think they were the main reason we never got relegated back to the Third tier, but it was bloody hard going.

Palace went nearly 18 months without an away win - and even this wasn't one of them, we won the home leg 2-0 but lost 1-0 in this match, I think we had to wait another month until winning 1-0 at Wrexham in the League, our first away win since the 1979/80 season!

To give some perspective, Donny had just been promoted from Division Four and were about to be relegated back to thr basement, so to scrape through 2-1 on aggregate was hardly an achievement - can't remember the team, I think it was a mixture of the players I mentioned, not sure if Peter Nicholas was still with us, probably the last quality midfielder we had until we bought Geoff Thomas around six years later!
I was at that Wrexham game, Steve lovell scored, we celebrated like we had won the league, dark times those seasons in the early 80s. We went from average gates of 29,000 in 1979-80, to 2 seasons later scraping 10,000 at home. And people moan about how made things are now.
Old 29-01-2019, 08:27 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
bacl

Quote:
Fair play, I was a big fan of Ticker at the time, it seemed all to brief though when you consider both Nicholas and Thomas put in several seasons for Palace, before and after Kevin Taylor and both performed at a much higher level, so that's why they stuck in my mind.

Back to Doncaster game in 1981 - still have'nt looked up the team, although I ptobably forgot to mention Paul Hinshelwood, who was still doing a good job at right back and I'm not sure if anyone else remembers the brief emergence of a young left back called David Boulter (don't think he broke through until later that season?) - we had high hopes and then he seemed to vanish.

Other players I can think of around that time, Sean Brooks, very much in the Johnny Williams mould - boy did he get some stick off the fans though, felt really sorry for him as he was the last decent player out of the Youth Cup winning sides of 77 and 78.

Also, Kevin Mabbut joined that season, looked a really great striker, we all loved him, but he got an early injury and that was that - took about 5 years for Ian Wright to show up and finally make us exciting to watch as an attacking side - again - love to see who actually played now - in fact I can remember a couple of the Doncaster players, brothers Ian and Glyn Snodin, both went on to have pretty good careers, not quite sure about their team mates though!
Old 29-01-2019, 09:03 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Can't find anything about the Palace side but it looks like Billy Bremner (who was their manager) and Terry Cooper (who was even older than Bremner) both turned out for Rovers
Old 30-01-2019, 01:09 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by david sylvian View Post
Yep - Taylor, along with Alan Irvine, were two signings that were integral to the transition from the worst Palace team in my lifetime (81-84) to the heights of the late 80s.
81 to 84, seemed like we were 17th in Div 2 every season
Old 30-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
Fair play, I was a big fan of Ticker at the time, it seemed all to brief though when you consider both Nicholas and Thomas put in several seasons for Palace, before and after Kevin Taylor and both performed at a much higher level, so that's why they stuck in my mind.

Back to Doncaster game in 1981 - still have'nt looked up the team, although I ptobably forgot to mention Paul Hinshelwood, who was still doing a good job at right back and I'm not sure if anyone else remembers the brief emergence of a young left back called David Boulter (don't think he broke through until later that season?) - we had high hopes and then he seemed to vanish.

Other players I can think of around that time, Sean Brooks, very much in the Johnny Williams mould - boy did he get some stick off the fans though, felt really sorry for him as he was the last decent player out of the Youth Cup winning sides of 77 and 78.

Also, Kevin Mabbut joined that season, looked a really great striker, we all loved him, but he got an early injury and that was that - took about 5 years for Ian Wright to show up and finally make us exciting to watch as an attacking side - again - love to see who actually played now - in fact I can remember a couple of the Doncaster players, brothers Ian and Glyn Snodin, both went on to have pretty good careers, not quite sure about their team mates though!
There was a nice little interview with Boulter, in one of the fanzines, bout 20 years back, apologies for not remembering, either one more point or Eastern Eagles..

I think he ended up at Enfield who we played in the cup in 82
Old 30-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
81 to 84, seemed like we were 17th in Div 2 every season
Irvine was quality, scored a couple of belters, I think a double against Leeds, plus Forest in the cup..

He went to Dundee United, didn't do a lot there, then to Blackburn.
Old 30-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
Irvine was quality, scored a couple of belters, I think a double against Leeds, plus Forest in the cup..

He went to Dundee United, didn't do a lot there, then to Blackburn.
Man city away 84-85 season, he scored a blinder, was on match of the day.
Old 31-01-2019, 02:21 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Can't find anything about the Palace side but it looks like Billy Bremner (who was their manager) and Terry Cooper (who was even older than Bremner) both turned out for Rovers
Palace: Barron, Bason, Dare, Price, Cannon, Gilbert, Brooks, Smillie, Hughes, Langley, Leahy. Sub: Lovell for Dare

Apparently Doncaster had a player crisis through injury, illness or suspension turning out their only ten fit professionals with two 17 year old apprentices. Bremner and Cooper not playing.

From Croydon Advertiser.
Old 31-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Keeping The Faith

Not a vintage Palace line up!
Old 31-01-2019, 05:16 PM

Langley and Leahy up top...and people think we've got it tough with striking options these days!
Old 31-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Keeping The Faith

Thank **** there wasn't a BBS back then!