Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Vanishing Emails

I was working with two separate ongoing email conversations using Outlook 2016 on my PC (receiving and responding) this morning and suddenly the original emails received vanished.

Iíve checked Deleted, Trash, Junk and Achieve Folders, also all sub folders of the Inbox for the missing emails without any luck. Iíve also done an all folder search.

Iíve checked my iPhone mail and iPad mail and no sign of them there either. I even contacted the sender to see if they recalled them for some reason, which they did not.

Google has not been a lot of help, only really covering what I already tried. I have to believe the emails are .pst files and must be somewhere including a server with the host (AT&T), but not having any luck in that regard either.

Not really a huge problem as I have the original embedded with sent emails from when I replied, but frustrating none the less.

Anyone got any suggestions or had this happen to them?
Old 07-03-2019, 01:06 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Not sure what's happened here but sometimes you can recover deleted emails even when deleted from the 'Deleted items' folder. Open the deleted items folder and check the Tabs above for 'Recover deleted items' and this brings up a list of twice deleted items to move back into any folder. I don't thing this works if you have 'Trash' as a folder instead of 'deleted items'.

If you have your emails through a server like AT&T can you use their dedicated Webmail page (not sure if: To view the link you have to Register or Login or To view the link you have to Register or Login is applicable to yours?) If so you can log on directly to the server webmail and see if the lost email are still available there?

Last edited by LN1; 07-03-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:31 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN1 View Post
Not sure what's happened here but sometimes you can recover deleted emails even when deleted from the 'Deleted items' folder. Open the deleted items folder and check the Tabs above for 'Recover deleted items' and this brings up a list of twice deleted items to move back into any folder. I don't thing this works if you have 'Trash' as a folder instead of 'deleted items'.

If you have your emails through a server like AT&T can you use their dedicated Webmail page (not sure if: To view the link you have to Register or Login or To view the link you have to Register or Login is applicable to yours?) If so you can log on directly to the server webmail and see if the lost email are still available there?
Thanks for taking the time to respond LN1.

I just took a quick look at the two links you provided, and no luck yet. I'll take a better look a little later. I did take a look at the AT&T link yesterday but will dig a bit deeper today.

Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2019, 05:48 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
No problem, I have two email accounts sourced from a US website builder but normally accessed through Outlook. Occasionally I can't find something and you can go to their main web page and access Webmail direct to change setting or try and find a copy of the email. I believe though it depends on how the email account is set up with either IMAP or POP settings. These have different ways of operating and roughly POP stores emails locally only on the computer and IMAP stores a copy on the server as well. IMAP is the more flexible account and can send or delete emails across several devices but can also delete them across all devices and server if set up that way. You can check which method your account uses by right clicking on the account in Outlook -account properties - account settings.

I still think trying to access the webmail page of AT&T is the best bet and if the email is not shown or archived there it may be lost?
Old 07-03-2019, 07:01 PM
The Spiky One

Thanks again.

Looks like it is an IMAP account.

I did see this in the Account Setting pop-up:

in data file C:\Users\*****\...\Microsoft\Outlook\******@sbcglo bal.net.ost

(where ***** is my name/e-mail)

When I go to my hard drive (C) I can't follow this link which ends at my name.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:31 PM

I'm no computer genius but sounds like their may be a protected or hidden folder in the chain. You could do a search by typing .Ost to see if it gets you to the end folder but I'm not sure it would work? You could also search for .Pst mail files but when clicking on the folder it normally comes up with a statement that they require to be opened within Outlook (which can't find them!). There are freeware programs that are supposed to be able to read .Pst files outside Outlook but I have never had much sucess with them.

One other possibility is to install the Outlook app onto your Iphone and set it up and see if allows you to download emails from a certain past date to see if it loads up old emails? This worked in this way when i recently set up a new PC at home but not sure it work in the same way on an Iphone app set up. I'm thinking though that with an IMAP set that if its been deleted on one device then its likely that its now gone from all connected devices and the server.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 PM
The Spiky One

I appreciate all your help LN1, but I think it's time to move on and accept they are out there in cyber space somewhere...

None of them were life changing critical, just annoying to lose them.

I shall put it down to lessons learned. So far today I am acting very paranoid with any email I don't want to lose, and so far so good. I'm guessing I did some kind of weird key stroke combination yesterday that caused this to happen.