Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
This is going to be expensive.

I am not going to not get an Ipad Pro, as I have been waiting for it to come out for ages. Mrs A needs a new phone (and will have my current iPad to replace her old mini). And if the Apple TV does anything clever that might get got too (it probably won't though). Also I am supposed to be getting a new iMac as well.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 PM

Old Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is here
Machines: it's all marketing-led, acquisitional, soulless bollox.

Yours,
General Ludd aka Mr Rand Thrope
Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Sorry I meant what will it do that is that much better?

I took a quick spin on google and it sounds like a bigger screen which changes the device quite a lot really? Not arguing against it but more that it will be very different and more akin to a touch screen laptop 'feel'.

We have a lot of iphones/ipads in the house but despite that (and I use mine for most of the day) I am cynical enough not to fall into each device just because of the logo. I have a good friend that spent 30 mins or so explaining me to how wonderful Apple are because they have invented the music streaming service. And how clever it is that it picks out new bands that he likes. TBH I think he is under the impression that Apple invented music too. They had a hand in dumbing down music quality but that's about all, sadly.

Not suggesting you are in the same place but it is symptomatic of many of my UK/US colleagues when the iphone was launched. It was a pretty crap camera, phone and didn't even do text at the time but it apparently was amazing. Of course it has become so and I don't deny that because it has moved so far - but back then it really was a very poor attempt. Great adverts.

As I say I am a devoted user - just not sold on the myth stuff. Rant over.

So obviously you are keen on the big screen or is there something else?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:41 PM
I belong to Yo.

squelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
So basically it's an iPad Surface Pro?
Old 09-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Sorry I meant what will it do that is that much better?

I took a quick spin on google and it sounds like a bigger screen which changes the device quite a lot really? Not arguing against it but more that it will be very different and more akin to a touch screen laptop 'feel'.

We have a lot of iphones/ipads in the house but despite that (and I use mine for most of the day) I am cynical enough not to fall into each device just because of the logo. I have a good friend that spent 30 mins or so explaining me to how wonderful Apple are because they have invented the music streaming service. And how clever it is that it picks out new bands that he likes. TBH I think he is under the impression that Apple invented music too. They had a hand in dumbing down music quality but that's about all, sadly.

Not suggesting you are in the same place but it is symptomatic of many of my UK/US colleagues when the iphone was launched. It was a pretty crap camera, phone and didn't even do text at the time but it apparently was amazing. Of course it has become so and I don't deny that because it has moved so far - but back then it really was a very poor attempt. Great adverts.

As I say I am a devoted user - just not sold on the myth stuff. Rant over.

So obviously you are keen on the big screen or is there something else?
no idea, not looked yet, though I doubt it. Just a bigger iPad. That's all I really want.

I am bought into the Apple ecosystem, certainly. I have dabbled with an android phone and it wasn't for me. I have had a play with my in-laws' android tablets, and it just isn't as pleasant an experience.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by squelchy18 View Post
So basically it's an iPad Surface Pro?
without all the Microsoft shit on it.

Actually that's wrong of me. I have no idea what shit Microsoft is producing nowadays as I haven't gone anywhere near them for about 5 years now. Yes that's right, I've had 5 years of completely trouble free, user friendly, pleasant computer/tablet/phone usage.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:53 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
no idea, not looked yet, though I doubt it. Just a bigger iPad. That's all I really want.

I am bought into the Apple ecosystem, certainly. I have dabbled with an android phone and it wasn't for me. I have had a play with my in-laws' android tablets, and it just isn't as pleasant an experience.
OK thx.

I bought an android tablet just to see how they compare and TBH I don't think there was anything I couldn't do on it but I still pick up the ipad instead. Some of this is a familiarity issue which logically I know would disappear but I cba to give it the time even though it would be cheaper. Some of it is because I have bought 99% of the apps I need already and replicating that now seems silly. Part of it is stupidly i bought a cheap case just in case I didn't use it often which makes it feel a bit clumsy. The rest is something I can't explain other than all of our friends/family use facetime now instead of skype.

So I know pretty much everything would be cheaper if we moved over but I can't see it happening soon.

I have an android phone though. My wife is on apple. So my rant is hollow really albeit true.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:39 PM
I belong to Yo.

squelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsquelchy18 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
without all the Microsoft shit on it.

Actually that's wrong of me. I have no idea what shit Microsoft is producing nowadays as I haven't gone anywhere near them for about 5 years now. Yes that's right, I've had 5 years of completely trouble free, user friendly, pleasant computer/tablet/phone usage.
The Surface is a fine tablet.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Morally devoid scum

danpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by squelchy18 View Post
The Surface is a fine tablet.
and Windows 10 is great (mostly)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 AM

karl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
And what does the smart money say an iPad pro will be? Other than more expensive?
I was excited to see the iPad Pro.

I'm very pro Apple. But the iPad Pro just does not do it for me.

If the iPad Pro had the Apple OSX instead of iOS then I would 100% be buying one.

iOS really restricts how good the Pro can be, no doubt there will be Pro only Apps, but will they be as good as the OSX version.

Also releasing an iPad that size with the base version at 32GB is a joke. The operation system takes away 3-4GB of that already.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl.eldridge View Post
I was excited to see the iPad Pro.

I'm very pro Apple. But the iPad Pro just does not do it for me.

If the iPad Pro had the Apple OSX instead of iOS then I would 100% be buying one.

iOS really restricts how good the Pro can be, no doubt there will be Pro only Apps, but will they be as good as the OSX version.

Also releasing an iPad that size with the base version at 32GB is a joke. The operation system takes away 3-4GB of that already.
Surface 4 will be out later in the autumn.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 AM

I have flicked through the apple news and the Apple TV is both the most affordable and arguably the most interesting option although I haven't been able to find much re the Mini 4 yet which might be interesting for the lady of our house.

Would like to see the pro but not sure it would work well for us. I would expect the decision would rank against laptop/surface rather than a tablet as such. Also if I was to get something that size I would probably consider something that I could draw/paint on which brings in other solutions. Bespoke solutions. A bigger screen makes sense for that.

Not too clear on the value of a bigger screen. If it was for spread sheets etc. I would want a keyboard and mouse anyway (maybe that's old school but I definitely work better/faster that way). Not sure I need anything buigger than an ipad fo browsing and I push it to a TV if I do need a bigger image.

So what exactly would/do you lot use a bigger screen than say the ipad air for?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 PM

BB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is hereBB Bob Sam the man is here
I think the clue is in the word Pro - aimed at the business market for presentations on the hoof etc.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Bob View Post
I think the clue is in the word Pro - aimed at the business market for presentations on the hoof etc.
Hmmm - I guess you are right. Not convinced but that is the best explanation for both the size and the name. Re the latter - I thought it sounded very 'un-Apple. More like a conventional naming approach. Jobs would be squirming on that I reckon.
Old 17-09-2015, 08:00 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
My Ipad won't connect to the internet even though it says it is. This goes for wifi and 4G.

Any ideas.
Old 17-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
My Ipad won't connect to the internet even though it says it is. This goes for wifi and 4G.

Any ideas.
The wifi bit I can understand - you can be connected to the wifi router but if the internet is down from your ISP then it's not much use.
But the 4G? Unless you have the same internet provider for both your home internet and your mobile internet. Maybe their internet servers are not working.
Old 23-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Happy Felix Day!

I am enjoying this screen in screen thing.

Old 23-09-2015, 12:07 AM

Adler, what screen in screen thing?
Old 23-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Happy Felix Day!

The little baseball man in the corner (Jayson Werth, decent beard) I am currently posting with a baseball match going on in the bottom corner of my screen. Only a few apps (video ones) seem to do it
Old 23-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Happy Felix Day!

For instance here's an American advert trying to sell insurance with Elvis lookalikes