Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 28-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy View Post
Murphy was always my favourite.
Same here along with Kenny
Old 28-10-2019, 11:18 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott View Post
... it was a shame there was no Billy Gilbert in the film and no Jerry Murphy who was one of my favourites at the time.
Something in the back of my head is telling me Jerry Murphy might be in Australia.

I see on Wikipedia his last playing days were with teams out there, so might be so.
Old 28-10-2019, 11:39 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
This was fantastic. Big Mal seemed like some character, one you wouldn’t find in the game today as the media is so powerful and would find a way to tear them apart. Likewise for Clough. Shame.
Old 28-10-2019, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
I have watched most of it now.

But wanted to ask a few questions to those who did watch Palace around this time - 87 was my first experience watching them so was (almost) a decade too late for the period.

1. This 'team of the 80s' tag. Ive got to be honest, barely any non-Palace fan I have ever spoke to to is aware of this tag. My Dad watched a lot of football in the 70s and had a Fulham season ticket but has no recollection of it at all. He is is just one example. So was it a term used often about us or something that was said a few times that the club and fans ran with more than anyone else?

2. Were the fans really all, collectively still behind Allison after two relegations? I know football has changed a lot and they were different times, but even in those days that is pretty unusual. Was there not any kind of split among fans about him in terms of results?

3. Am I the only one who thinks Allison comes across as cocky, arrogant and unlikeable? Did everyone at the time really buy in to his way and manner? Reminds me of a lot of the things I disliked about Simon Jordan. Lots of boasts about what he would do with the club, publicity hungry, a big ego and not backed up by the results of their performance in the job. I know it is probably an unpopular view and from someone who wasn't wrapped up in the moment of it. And I know he has his place in the Palace story and his place in the club's popular narrative.
Old 29-10-2019, 12:01 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianace View Post
There is some outrageous 70's fashion on display, especially from Big Mal!
Ah yes ,the days of big check, wide lapels, flares, jumbo collars ,platform shoes and tank tops. Remember them well, may they never come back. Mind you for a short arse like me it helped with taller birds.
Old 29-10-2019, 12:04 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post

But wanted to ask a few questions to those who did watch Palace around this time - 87 was my first experience watching them so was (almost) a decade too late for the period.

1. This 'team of the 80s' tag. Ive got to be honest, barely any non-Palace fan I have ever spoke to to is aware of this tag. My Dad watched a lot of football in the 70s and had a Fulham season ticket but has no recollection of it at all. He is is just one example. So was it a term used often about us or something that was said a few times that the club and fans ran with more than anyone else?

2. Were the fans really all, collectively still behind Allison after two relegations? I know football has changed a lot and they were different times, but even in those days that is pretty unusual. Was there not any kind of split among fans about him in terms of results?

3. Am I the only one who thinks Allison comes across as cocky, arrogant and unlikeable? Did everyone at the time really buy in to his way and manner? Reminds me of a lot of the things I disliked about Simon Jordan. Lots of boasts about what he would do with the club, publicity hungry, a big ego and not backed up by the results of their performance in the job. I know it is probably an unpopular view and from someone who wasn't wrapped up in the moment of it. And I know he has his place in the Palace story and his place in the club's popular narrative.
I was there at the time, and I definitely remember the term "Team of the Eighties" being used frequently in the media. As a fan, I wanted to believe the hype, but like many of my fellow fans, in our hearts we thought it too good to be true. As for Alison, he put us on the map and gave us some hope for better times ahead and with Venables he gave us that, at least for a while. Yes he was arrogant, but when you are winning and at the top of the national league, it is easy to forgive.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:14 AM

wrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I know we won it in '69 just after we won promotion. (I was there)

I assume you are thinking of a later year though.

Think there was two 5 a side tournaments at some stage one was just for London clubs and one national one was deff at wembley and sure we won it with Jim cannon in team or at least reached the final
Old 29-10-2019, 02:08 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

I'm not aware of anyone that didn't back Allison 100pct. In fact all that happened whilst he was in charge was increase support and belief. I dont know exactly how he did it, but his manner/confidence and attitude just encouraged belief and certainty and importantly something that hasn't been mentioned a true sense of fun and total irreverance.

Palace honestly were a poor relation to the rest of the London clubs before he arrived not far removed from the likes of Orient and Brentford. Definitely thought off as the 3rd South London club.... When he turned up suddenly everything changed, in fact they were knocking on the door of being the 4th biggest team in London.... It was almost cult like...no one took the piss anymore.. When Palace were turning up at places like Tranmere, Wrexham and Chesterfield the whole town would stop for that day.

I think you really had to be there to totally get the idea, this documentary just gives one a taste.

Last edited by ozzieEagle; 29-10-2019 at 02:11 AM.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:11 AM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc View Post
Think there was two 5 a side tournaments at some stage one was just for London clubs and one national one was deff at wembley and sure we won it with Jim cannon in team or at least reached the final
The national tournament at Wembley Arena was shown on 'Sportsnight', I seem to remember. We won it in 1978 - I was there!
Old 29-10-2019, 06:01 AM

Madden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by wighteagle View Post
My Palace supporting family live in Perth Western Australia and cannot see this at the moment. Anybody know when in will be available to watch worldwide or have a link that works in Oz?
They can watch it here with a vpn, saw it myself on the weekend.
Also let them know the annual CPFC Australia meet up is being held in here in Perth next month!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E16B892A-E7A7-45E8-925C-EBF9731E635A.jpeg (187.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Madden; 29-10-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 29-10-2019, 06:14 AM

Since 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Allison totally revolutionized the club, raised the awareness via the media. Before he arrived we used to sign a lot of Scottish journeymen and ageing English players.
He set up a scouting network that brought the best youngsters at the time here, we won the youth cup twice, he brought Venables in, who went on to manage Barcelona, Spurs and England. Anyone around at the time will remember the 76 cup run.
It all went sour because of Boyle the Chairman selling off to Sainsburys and taking the money to buy QPR, which wasn't mentioned in the programme.
Social media hadn't been thought of then, so no armchair critics with a wider audience to air their views, just talk down the pub.
Old 29-10-2019, 06:26 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:

Allison was flash and had a massive ego, however he also had a fantastic track record from his time at Man City.

It's difficult to explain but managers then seemed very different from today, you can see that even from the small clips of MA and Clough in this video.

I had become a regular the season before big Mal and can only remember good things about him and what he did for the club. Yes it was a disaster in terms of league results but he gave us an identity and he made everyone believe that anything was possible.

The cup games at Leeds, Sunderland and Chelsea were extraordinary. Not because of the results, but because we turned up as a 3rd division away side and played all of them off the park, and there were no weakened sides in the cup in those days

He was a fantastic coach, and helped bring through almost an entire team from the youth ranks, unprecedented until fergusons crop, and even he didn't have as many at the same time

Heady days
Old 29-10-2019, 06:27 AM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

He was very cute was Allison. His charisma and charm got him far.
I remember my brother going to a meeting with Mal and fans in the supporters club after an evening match. Our 2nd relegation under him was looming and we'd lost again that night. The 1st thing he did when he walked into a room full of fans baying for blood was to buy everybody a drink and then slag off the poor refereeing.
As my brother said, after that they were all putty in his hands.
Old 29-10-2019, 06:37 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Allison was flash and had a massive ego, however he also had a fantastic track record from his time at Man City.

It's difficult to explain but managers then seemed very different from today, you can see that even from the small clips of MA and Clough in this video.

I had become a regular the season before big Mal and can only remember good things about him and what he did for the club. Yes it was a disaster in terms of league results but he gave us an identity and he made everyone believe that anything was possible.

The cup games at Leeds, Sunderland and Chelsea were extraordinary. Not because of the results, but because we turned up as a 3rd division away side and played all of them off the park, and there were no weakened sides in the cup in those days

He was a fantastic coach, and helped bring through almost an entire team from the youth ranks, unprecedented until fergusons crop, and even he didn't have as many at the same time

Heady days
A lot were back then. There was John Bond with his champagne and cigars ,Ron Atkinson, Cloughie with his outspoken flambouyance. Revie with his arrogance. They were all characters who said what they thought .With one or two exceptions there are not many of this type managing football clubs now.
Old 29-10-2019, 06:54 AM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
Palace were dubbed the team of the 80's because many of the Palace Youth Team that had won the FA Youth Cup 2 years in a row were good enough to be picked as Youth internationals and they also made up the majority of the first team squad.

Some of these players went on to become full internationals as they were that good.

Palace beat Everton and Aston Villa in the finals and Terry Fenwick scored the only goal in both games.

One of the finals was played at Arsenal's Highbury Stadium and Palace went in their in numbers and packed Arsenal's North Bank Terrace.

Great memories.

COYP
Old 29-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I seem to remember the then England manager, Ron Greenwood, saying his plan was to build a team for the 1982 World Cup with players from just 4 clubs, Liverpool, Forest, Leeds and Palace.

Of course it didn’t happen.
Old 29-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
That era still resonates for me as the best time ever, maybe it's the heady days of youth. The time in the old 3rd division especially going away, being the pinnacle.

It's also sad to think about what might have been, how we imploded and how we have strived ever since to get back there since. Still waiting for that first major trophy and that first away game in Europe
Old 29-10-2019, 07:32 AM
Red with brass buttons

Jordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy View Post
Murphy was always my favourite.

I remember the Aldershot game. I think it was during the Winter of Discontent when the firemen went on strike.
Still is my favourite ever player
Old 29-10-2019, 07:35 AM
Reformed Alcoholic!!

Location: Just off Pippins Bridge, very near to the town of Biffon!
Glaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
From memory, (and my scrapbook long since consigned to the loft), the tag, Team of the 80's. was first used by the Sun.
Drebin, posing as a locksmith, enters a man's office and is greeted by the resident with . "Who are you and how did you get in here?" to which Drebin replies, "I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith."
Old 29-10-2019, 08:15 AM

Sleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiebald Leitch View Post
I seem to remember the then England manager, Ron Greenwood, saying his plan was to build a team for the 1982 World Cup with players from just 4 clubs, Liverpool, Forest, Leeds and Palace.
That is hysterical, have you whooshed me there?