Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 29-10-2019, 05:07 PM
broke my sacrophiliac

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Palace were dubbed the team of the 80's because many of the Palace Youth Team that had won the FA Youth Cup 2 years in a row were good enough to be picked as Youth internationals and they also made up the majority of the first team squad.

Some of these players went on to become full internationals as they were that good.

Palace beat Everton and Aston Villa in the finals and Terry Fenwick scored the only goal in both games.

One of the finals was played at Arsenal's Highbury Stadium and Palace went in their in numbers and packed Arsenal's North Bank Terrace.

Great memories.

COYP
Yes.

I remember, back then, seeing the team names on the back of the match programme having the flag of the country which each Palace player had represented next to them. It was very impressive and must have had quite a psychological effect on the opposition.
Old 29-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Between matches

MasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is here
Was a great watch. Would have been fun to have been a fan in those years, especially the first few under Venables.

So unlike Palace to blow it.

Very interesting take by VH that the team didn’t know how to go on a bad run and get out of it. Too much too soon maybe. Perhaps if they hadn’t beaten Burnley and went up a year later they’d have been better equipped.
Old 29-10-2019, 06:32 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
10 or less?

Liverpool
Everton
Man United
Arsenal
Tottenham
Chelsea
Palace
West Ham?
Aston Villa?
Newcastle?
Ipswich were part of that list until this season.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 29-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton View Post
You meant to say there’s not many teams that have at stayed in the top two divisions yes?

I’ve always thought that Palace since the mid 70s despite the opposite have been quite rare in being stable and top two divisions. Or course not elite in being only one of the 2 clubs who have stayed in the top div - Arse, Everton ? - only since the 70s but pretty solid really
Yes, Dorking Eagle translated correctly.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 29-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Would have liked them to have mentioned the Liverpool FA cup game in 1977.Held Liverpool to a 0-0 draw at Anfield then narrowly lost a brilliant game at Selhurst 2-3. Don't think Liverpool dropped many points at home that season and 3rd division Palace from what i've heard as I wasn't there gave them a bloody good game.Was anyone there at Anfield? Liverpool went on that season to win the league and European cup, nearly did the treble losing 2-1 to manure in the final
Old 29-10-2019, 08:14 PM

M3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was. Seem to remember being along the touchline, very low down, rather than the now usual away seats. The Paddock I think they called it. Was a great performance from the boys.
Old 29-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was in a seat down the side where their new stand is now.

Just watched the whole film again. It’s so good ......it makes me feel happy, proud, angry and sad all at the same time.

Last edited by Archiebald Leitch; 29-10-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 29-10-2019, 08:30 PM

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gav View Post
Would have liked them to have mentioned the Liverpool FA cup game in 1977.Held Liverpool to a 0-0 draw at Anfield then narrowly lost a brilliant game at Selhurst 2-3. Don't think Liverpool dropped many points at home that season and 3rd division Palace from what i've heard as I wasn't there gave them a bloody good game.Was anyone there at Anfield? Liverpool went on that season to win the league and European cup, nearly did the treble losing 2-1 to manure in the final
Yes I was there. Palace fans were put on the side of the pitch near to the Kop. I can remember a bloke known as "Mad Tony". He got onto the pitch just before the players came out and set fire to a Liverpool Scarf and threw it into the Goal in front of the Kop. Scousers obviously went mad and Tony jumped back into the Palace crowd. Next thing the Scouse Rozzers waded into the Palace fans with long sticks. All hell broke loose. In the replay the Palace Firm along with some Millwall reinforcements gave the Scousers a proper good hiding in the Whitehorse. And yes we did get some help from the Millwall Firm I kid you not. Anyone remember this?
Old 29-10-2019, 09:01 PM

Old Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is here
I was in the Whitehorse. Was ten at time. Remember being near Liverpool fans. Maybe segregated fans hadn’t happened or was still amateurish. Don’t recall any trouble but was ten. Do remember shouting out something like ‘big nose city’ (but not that, as Life of Brian not actually made at that point) at Phil Thompson, maybe Ray Kennedy. Or Alan David Kennedy. Or the late big Tommy Smith if he was still playing. Talk about Judean Popular Front...

Anyway.

My dad said shusssh as some scousers were nearby. I recall it being a tad packed there.

A long time ago.
Old 29-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Old Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is here
Ah think it was David Johnson being flagged for being offside. Me, helping out: ‘his nose was offside, ha ha ha !’

I was quite a precocious ten year old...
Old 29-10-2019, 09:20 PM

James SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I dont suppose anyone has a link to where i could download this?
Old 29-10-2019, 09:28 PM

M3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
See post 500
Old 29-10-2019, 09:36 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK PALACE TILL I DIE View Post
Yes I was there. Palace fans were put on the side of the pitch near to the Kop. I can remember a bloke known as "Mad Tony". He got onto the pitch just before the players came out and set fire to a Liverpool Scarf and threw it into the Goal in front of the Kop. Scousers obviously went mad and Tony jumped back into the Palace crowd. Next thing the Scouse Rozzers waded into the Palace fans with long sticks. All hell broke loose. In the replay the Palace Firm along with some Millwall reinforcements gave the Scousers a proper good hiding in the Whitehorse. And yes we did get some help from the Millwall Firm I kid you not. Anyone remember this?

Yehp they came across from the Kop knives in hand actually. A slight Melee ensued, the result of which ended with me ending up in the holding cells under that side. They've got manacles in those cells, which had quite a sobering effect. Certainly one for the memory banks that one.

They certainly didn't enjoy their visit to the Whitehorse either, surrounded on all 3 sides they were.
Old 29-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I was also at the Anfield 0-0 game, aged 7. We were indeed in the seats along the side of the pitch. My abiding memory of that game is looking into the Kop & seeing an adult holding up a Liverpool youngster who had pulled his trousers & pants down & was showing us all his arse.

Nice.
Old 29-10-2019, 10:27 PM
crap ball gazer!

bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bald-eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
I ****in hate scoucers
Got away with all sorts for 40 years cos of their “scouce wit” reputation
Old 29-10-2019, 10:29 PM

Madden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for youMadden is just too good for you
Quote:
Palace dominated the game at Anfield with Liverpool goalie Ray Clemence being named man of the match for the many outstanding saves he made. The replay at Selhurst was the opposite with Keegan running the show and the 2-3 scoreline very flattering to Palace who were totally outclassed on the night!
Old 29-10-2019, 11:08 PM

Loughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLoughlan torowz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Great watch. Interesting comment about Big Mal not being the same the second time around. Not an angle I have heard before. Always thought Uncle Ron was very hasty, especially who followed, but perhaps Big Mal so soon after his disastrous second stint at City had lost his mojo?
Old 30-10-2019, 01:05 AM

James SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJames SG : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eagle View Post
See post 500

Cheers!
Old 30-10-2019, 01:09 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loughlan torowz View Post
Great watch. Interesting comment about Big Mal not being the same the second time around. Not an angle I have heard before. Always thought Uncle Ron was very hasty, especially who followed, but perhaps Big Mal so soon after his disastrous second stint at City had lost his mojo?
It was a huge mistake for Allison to come back... and yes, he had definitely lost his mojo.
Old 30-10-2019, 05:49 AM

David Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to Ollie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loughlan torowz View Post
Vince Hilaire goes into the collapse of the Team of the 80s really well in his book. Said Big Mal was like a different man second time around