Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 30-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden View Post
Palace dominated the game at Anfield with Liverpool goalie Ray Clemence being named man of the match for the many outstanding saves he made. The replay at Selhurst was the opposite with Keegan running the show and the 2-3 scoreline very flattering to Palace who were totally outclassed on the night!
Doris scored a magnificent goal that night

I recall Keegan winning the game for them but don't recall us being outclassed
Old 30-10-2019, 07:43 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden View Post
Palace dominated the game at Anfield with Liverpool goalie Ray Clemence being named man of the match for the many outstanding saves he made. The replay at Selhurst was the opposite with Keegan running the show and the 2-3 scoreline very flattering to Palace who were totally outclassed on the night!
I was at that game. All those friendly scousers who appreciated a good opposition looking to kick the shit out of us after the game. Wankers all.
Old 30-10-2019, 09:06 AM

EastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEastBerksEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Watched last night great viewing.As I only started going in 79 I only caught the end of that era.Being 14 at the time and coming from Windsor, going to Palace on the train was a real adventure and I’m glad to say 40 years on it still is.
Old 30-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
I watched it in full last night. Wonderful, wonderful summary of that marvellous time. I started going aged 5 in 74/75 & had my first season ticket the season after. Great hearing so much from Vince, Jimbo, Doris, Taff, Swindles, Walshy, Peter Nic & Kenny.

I went to those games at Elland Road, Stamford Bridge (x2) and Roker Park & to those two Youth Finals (I dug the programmes out the other day). I think the only 'big' game that I missed was Wrexham away.

I remember leaving Bristol Rovers after 89 mins when it was 0-0 in that promotion season & hearing the noise of the goal from outside. I loved that Orient game & singing 'We are the Champions' at the end of that Burnley game.

But what I enjoyed most about watching it was that it brought back loads of wonderful memories about going to football with my Dad, who died a few years ago. My lad is 10 now - the same age I was when we beat Burnley. I really hope he looks back similarly warmly when he's my age.

Well done Al for a wonderful programme.
Old 30-10-2019, 12:05 PM

kabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK PALACE TILL I DIE View Post
Yes I was there. Palace fans were put on the side of the pitch near to the Kop. I can remember a bloke known as "Mad Tony". He got onto the pitch just before the players came out and set fire to a Liverpool Scarf and threw it into the Goal in front of the Kop. Scousers obviously went mad and Tony jumped back into the Palace crowd. Next thing the Scouse Rozzers waded into the Palace fans with long sticks. All hell broke loose. In the replay the Palace Firm along with some Millwall reinforcements gave the Scousers a proper good hiding in the Whitehorse. And yes we did get some help from the Millwall Firm I kid you not. Anyone remember this?
This is what I remember. We were on the first of the three "specials" going up to Liverpool so we arrived quite early. A fleet of buses dropped us off nowhere near the ground so we had to walk the rest. We innocently thought that, as was often written in the press, Liverpool fans were the best in the world and that they would give our fans a warm welcome! Well they did, but it wasn't the welcome we were expecting! Happily shouting "Eagles" we walked past the first pub and a big crowd came out to "welcome" us! We spent the rest of the walk to the ground escaping from mobs of Scousers. When we eventually got to the ground, we were looked after by a couple of old dears with thermos flasks and sarnies who were waiting for the turnstiles to open.
We were also in the enclosure along the side of the pitch. I remember when that bloke ran on the pitch with a burning Liverpool scarf. We all thought it was a good laugh until about 100 Palace scarves were burning in the Kop end seconds later. I thought things were pretty quiet until about 10 minutes from the end when they opened the turnstiles for fans to leave only to see loads of Liverpool "fans" steaming in. As a result of all the scuffles I lost my mates and had to find my way back to the buses which were to take us back to Lime Street Station. No Palace fans were wearing their colours any more and you didn't dare ask anybody anything as your accent was a giveaway. Fortunately I recognised a bloke who went to the same school as. A little nod and we found our way back to the buses.
We spent most of the trip back to Lime Street under the seats of the bus and there was hardly a pane of glass left when we got off the bus at Lime Street. But that wasn't the end of it IIRC because I think Everton were playing Stoke in another Cup game and it was Liverpool v the rest of the world. A final sprint along the platform to our carriage and we had survived.
In the replay I don't think we were totally outplayed, but Doris scored a belter, that's for sure!
Old 30-10-2019, 12:42 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gav View Post
Would have liked them to have mentioned the Liverpool FA cup game in 1977.Held Liverpool to a 0-0 draw at Anfield then narrowly lost a brilliant game at Selhurst 2-3. Don't think Liverpool dropped many points at home that season and 3rd division Palace from what i've heard as I wasn't there gave them a bloody good game.Was anyone there at Anfield? Liverpool went on that season to win the league and European cup, nearly did the treble losing 2-1 to manure in the final

2-3 game was my first ever match well over 40k there that night
Old 30-10-2019, 02:54 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott View Post
... because I think Everton were playing Stoke in another Cup game and it was Liverpool v the rest of the world. A final sprint along the platform to our carriage and we had survived.
That's what I was going to say. It was a shock to see red & white and blue & white scarfs intermingled at the station waiting for Palace fans.

Fortunately we went by car!
Old 30-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
That's what I was going to say. It was a shock to see red & white and blue & white scarfs intermingled at the station waiting for Palace fans.

I spoke to a couple of Stoke fans a few years later and they remembered the day well; said that they had never had things so easy on a trip to Everton. They claimed half the Everton home end left 5 minutes before the end of the game.
Old 30-10-2019, 05:42 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gav View Post
Would have liked them to have mentioned the Liverpool FA cup game in 1977.Held Liverpool to a 0-0 draw at Anfield then narrowly lost a brilliant game at Selhurst 2-3. Don't think Liverpool dropped many points at home that season and 3rd division Palace from what i've heard as I wasn't there gave them a bloody good game.Was anyone there at Anfield? Liverpool went on that season to win the league and European cup, nearly did the treble losing 2-1 to manure in the final

2-3 game was my first ever match well over 40k there that night
Old 30-10-2019, 06:02 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott View Post
I think Everton were playing Stoke in another Cup game and it was Liverpool v the rest of the world. A final sprint along the platform to our carriage and we had survived.
I remember this bit quite vividly and bottles being chucked onto the glass roof overhead. Definitely both sides of scouseland teamed up against us. Funnily enough I don't recall it being too boisterous in the ground although lots of things used to go off back then so maybe it was no different to a lot of other away games in that respect. Couldn't have been a ticket only game coz I know for a fact that me and the two mates I was with asked a copper which end was the Kop and then made sure we went in the other end, thinking that's where Palace would be. We had to run across to the paddock coz the Anfield Rd end was full of scouse too! - such naivety!
Old 30-10-2019, 06:07 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton View Post
Ah think it was David Johnson being flagged for being offside. Me, helping out: ‘his nose was offside, ha ha ha !’

I was quite a precocious ten year old...
VAR would pick that up nowadays.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 30-10-2019, 10:44 PM

Old Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is here
Just saw the film. Nostalgia fest. I was there at Burnley game. Sad to see Kenny. Great to see Vince.
Old 31-10-2019, 11:00 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

Ended up in a pub by the station ,and got pretty pissed on Higsons bitter. managed to avoid the punch ups and had no trouble in the boozer my mate and I were in. Think we even had some carry out for the train.
Old 31-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Bungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great documentary for Palace fans.

It suggested that it all went south after the Liverpool game. Clearly Venables was in his early days as a manager and was unable to keep the belief going after that one setback.

In truth and given what we know now about Liverpool in the 80s we were not good enough to knock them off the perch but it is a pity the challenge didn't last longer.
Old 31-10-2019, 05:47 PM

JohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses growJohnD knows where the wild roses grow
Enjoyed. Top documentary. Remember it all as if it was yesterday. As mentioned, sad to see Kenny. Great times to be a Palace supporter. All the ups and downs and we all stick together.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Saw it last week. Great memories til Autumn 1980, when it all went wrong and coincidentally i started going.

Actually think i could make myself for my first game, Ipswich in September 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 04-11-2019, 07:55 PM

libran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is this still available to watch anywhere?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 PM

leicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Not put any photos on here for a while so i hope i still have the knack.....View from the away end at Liverpool January 1981 my first visit to Anfield,pretty sure they were 85 home games undefeated until this day when Leicester beat them 2-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63486_178038645553494_1471313_n.jpg (48.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Stripes reborn

Forever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForever Stripes came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
I was at that game. All those friendly scousers who appreciated a good opposition looking to kick the shit out of us after the game. Wankers all.
Oh yes those fans, with the press wetting themselves how football appreciative they were, and how the Kop clapped the opposition goal keeper, such lovable scalawags, where as I remember them swarming over from the Kop, (we were in the side) , and through the top of the enclosure to have a good fight. The police patrolling the ground with massive long truncheons, making sure no Palace fan escaped at the bottom of the enclosure but doing nothing to stop these lovable scalawags 'joining' us. the girl behind me fainted in the crush.

Then afterwards their mates from Everton joined them to meet us at Stanley Park after the game. (Being cup matches Everton were also at home.)

Oh yes lovely place Liverpool and appreciative football fans.....not.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:07 PM

exiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sure I read somewhere here that is was nice to see Jerry Murphy again ? I only saw clips of him playing , did they show him as he is today ?