Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:28 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heppolette View Post
I was only a kid but can remember the stories of Ian Walsh not being popular with the other players and staff. Remember watching Swindlehurst play for the ressies at home, I think against Bournemouth, when he’d lost his place briefly to to Walsh and not appearing too happy with life - gave a short shrift to the kids gathered at the tunnel.

Interesting to see the stuff about Sansom leaving against his will as there were stories doing the rounds at the time about him needing to because of personal circumstances.

Can’t recall the timings but imagine Bloye’s exploits were probably a bit of a catalyst for all the players leaving.

Venables second spell in the late nineties don’t exactly inspire confidence in his intentions either.
Re. Sansom; he wrote the forward in Hilaire’s book and mentioned that story about Venables and that he didn’t want to leave. I’ve heard the stories for years about him having to leave to pay off gambling debts but not sure if that is exactly true. Hilaire does say in his book that Kenny indeed had gambling issues back then and that Venables made Vince buy Kenny’s car at one point so Kenny could pay off some debts.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 11-02-2019, 02:12 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
The story I heard was that Sansom owed about £50,000 so much of his cut of the transfer fee to Arsenal would have been taken up with that.

The transfer also included Paul Barron coming to Palace from Arsenal and if the values from the time are to be believed, it was meant to be a £1 million fee from Arsenal to Palace for Sansom, minus £200,000 for Barron, so Palace would have got £800,000 - but what the actual details were is anybody's guess!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:33 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
The story I heard was that Sansom owed about £50,000 so much of his cut of the transfer fee to Arsenal would have been taken up with that.

The transfer also included Paul Barron coming to Palace from Arsenal and if the values from the time are to be believed, it was meant to be a £1 million fee from Arsenal to Palace for Sansom, minus £200,000 for Barron, so Palace would have got £800,000 - but what the actual details were is anybody's guess!
Thought Clive Allen was part of the deal too?

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 11-02-2019, 04:03 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Yeah Clive Allen arrived shortly after Sansom's departure so our club wouldn't have seen any £££. Barron became a laughing stock immediately due to being a crap goalie and wearing ludicrous buttock padding within his leggings.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:08 PM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember it as Arsenal knowing we wanted Allen and they wanted Sansom who we didn't want to sell so they bought Allen to use as a bargaining chip.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:12 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Who else apart from Burridge, Fenwick, Sealy and Allen? Because I’m struggling to remember, all I do remember is apart from John Burridge, it was no-one I was bothered about.
Steve wicks came to Palace and returned while venables was manager
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Ian Walsh was shite. Got rid of the wrong player to Derby when swindles went there.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2019, 04:39 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Thought Clive Allen was part of the deal too?
Ooops! Forgot that bit. Yes Allen had just been signed by Arsenal from QPR for £1.25 Million, but Terry Neil, the then Arsenal manager decided after Allen had played in just three friendly matches to use him in the Sansom/Barron deal before playing a competitive game for Arsenal.

Plenty of conspiacy theories from the time To view the link you have to Register or Login

Suffice to say, Arsenal and QPR got the better of the deal, ironically Allen re-joined QPR by March of 1981 among the other defections to QPR brought about with Venables move there in the farce that was the 1980/81 season for Palace.

If I'm right, Steve Wicks was in turn part of the deal that saw Allen go to QPR, then Wicks returned to QPR a year later! Not great deals for Palace in the long run and the rumours of Venables involvement with these transfers as a beneficiary have never been fully exposed!
Old 11-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Banned by Moderators

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Yeah Clive Allen arrived shortly after Sansom's departure so our club wouldn't have seen any £££. Barron became a laughing stock immediately due to being a crap goalie and wearing ludicrous buttock padding within his leggings.
Paul Barron was an awful keeper saw him throw one in he's own net
I was behind the goal at the holmesdale end he was shite
But John burridge was a hard act to follow
Old 11-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Allen became an absolutely lethal striker later in his career.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:02 PM
like a shot in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburns7 View Post
Paul Barron was an awful keeper saw him throw one in he's own net
I was behind the goal at the holmesdale end he was shite
But John burridge was a hard act to follow
He was one in a line of ex-Arsenal keepers we have had over the years, Tony Burns and George Wood also spring to mind and I think they all went on to have careers as Keeper coaches too.

My main memory of Barron is that he hit a post, from a drop kick when Palace played Rotherham at home in Division Two (circa 1981/82), I think another strempt flew over the bar too - it was particularly windy that day!
Old 11-02-2019, 05:02 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post

There's no way he would have earned anywhere near £50k back then even over two seasons so it must have been on tick and very dangerous territory probably.

What's £50k cash from 1979 worth today I wonder?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:13 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Ian Walsh was shite. Got rid of the wrong player to Derby when swindles went there.

Didnt swindlehurst fall out with Venables? Swindlehurst was a very good striker - Walsh wasn’t shite just a league down from Swindlehurst.

Real shite in the striker area arrived in the following few years.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:21 PM

olly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Yeah

Remember him scoring for QPR against us at the loft end and running the full length of the pitch to "celebrate with QPR fans above the away palace support"

Team of the 80s was a tag invented by journalists and later used by journalists to bash us
Old 11-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Allen scored 49 goals in one season with Spurs. And this was when hard defenders were still allowed to decapitate strikers and only get a yellow. Ron HarrIS for one.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Think he scored 49 goals in all comps for Spurs in 86/7 ?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:25 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
I remember when he scored a hat trick against Middlesbrough (I think) possibly his debut, thinking, "Boy this guy is something special... not seen a player like this at Palace before".

I guess that didn't last long either!
Old 11-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
Didnt swindlehurst fall out with Venables? Swindlehurst was a very good striker - Walsh wasn’t shite just a league down from Swindlehurst.

Real shite in the striker area arrived in the following few years.
I see he scored nine for us in 25 games, though. Compares pretty favourably with Benteke's recent tallies.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:35 PM

The second home game of that 80/81 season and even before anyone knew what a godawful year the club was in for the attendance was only 18000 and 7,000 less - a 25% drop from what we would have reasonably expected if the fixture had been played only six months earlier. A mystery as to why but a clue that something wasn't right.

Also the first home match v Spurs saw a crowd of 26,000 as opposed to 45,000 the season before. I know the Whitehorse was closed but 31,000 was still the capacity.

Last edited by Am Phibian; 11-02-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Just call me sarge!!

My recollection is venables jumped ship cos he wanted to spend more time writing his novels about hazell the detective.

Quote: