Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 29-02-2020, 11:58 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Hoiffenheim v Bayern

Hoffenheim and Bayern Munich played out one of the most bizarre conclusions in the history of football as they passed the ball between each other for 13 minutes after a long delay for To view the link you have to Register or Login

Anyone want to fill in the gaps? What did it say?

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 01-03-2020, 12:08 AM

PalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Here’s a clip of them knocking it about - To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 01-03-2020, 12:57 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
Hoffenheim and Bayern Munich played out one of the most bizarre conclusions in the history of football as they passed the ball between each other for 13 minutes after a long delay for To view the link you have to Register or Login

Anyone want to fill in the gaps? What did it say?
It says "Hopp bleibt ein Hurensohn" which means "Hopp is still the son of a prostitute".

A rather clumsy piece of German that. I mean does he stop being a Hurensohn if his mother stops being a prostitute? And I'm pretty sure you use bleiben to mean to stay in a place or location, not to stay in some status. Ich bin zu Hause geblieben, I stayed at home. But to stay in a state would just be (immer) noch etwas sein. And you'd probably use the genitive case for "son of...". So Hopp ist immer noch der Sohn einer Hure. Whether that would fit on the banner seems to be moot but we are clearly talking about the kind of people who read Bild here.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:31 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Old 01-03-2020, 05:11 AM

JimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chateauferret View Post
It says "Hopp bleibt ein Hurensohn" which means "Hopp is still the son of a prostitute".

A rather clumsy piece of German that. I mean does he stop being a Hurensohn if his mother stops being a prostitute? And I'm pretty sure you use bleiben to mean to stay in a place or location, not to stay in some status. Ich bin zu Hause geblieben, I stayed at home. But to stay in a state would just be (immer) noch etwas sein. And you'd probably use the genitive case for "son of...". So Hopp ist immer noch der Sohn einer Hure. Whether that would fit on the banner seems to be moot but we are clearly talking about the kind of people who read Bild here.

Perfectly fine & typical colloquial German to me...

"Hopp is still a son of a whore" [~son of a bitch]
Always was, and always will be.

Bleiben has multiple uses: stay, remain, a state of being... with more emphasis than just 'is' (is still...)

I don't read the BILD, but I could imagine saying the following:

"Auch wenn mein Chef manchmal ganz nett ist, bleibt er ein Arschloch" (even if my boss is sometimes quite ok, he's still an a'hole). Or, as my ex-colleague would say, "Nett ist der Bruder von Arschloch" (~Nice is A-hole's brother)

Last edited by JimmyAG; 01-03-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:49 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceForever View Post
Here’s a clip of them knocking it about - To view the link you have to Register or Login
Lots of passing with no end product. Graham Potter’s inspirational tactics now spreading across the continent.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 01-03-2020, 06:27 AM
Puncheon above our weight

sydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is here
This explains everything

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 AM
Man of the weld

Pat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is here
Can't help thinking of Uncle Ron.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:47 AM
Señor Coconut

Neil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat of the Palace View Post
Can't help thinking of Uncle Ron.
Imagine , we'd never finish a match if they heard the chants about Ron's wife.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:05 AM

HurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is hereHurstpierPalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Lots of passing with no end product. Graham Potter’s inspirational tactics now spreading across the continent.
Repped
Old 01-03-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyAG View Post
Perfectly fine & typical colloquial German to me...

"Hopp is still a son of a whore" [~son of a bitch]
Always was, and always will be.

Bleiben has multiple uses: stay, remain, a state of being... with more emphasis than just 'is' (is still...)

I don't read the BILD, but I could imagine saying the following:

"Auch wenn mein Chef manchmal ganz nett ist, bleibt er ein Arschloch" (even if my boss is sometimes quite ok, he's still an a'hole). Or, as my ex-colleague would say, "Nett ist der Bruder von Arschloch" (~Nice is A-hole's brother)
It feels ever so awkward to me. My point was it was clumsy, not ungrammatical. So I had a look here

Just one of the examples seems to involve a noun phrase as a nominative-case complement where bleiben replaces sein, but it does remind me that you can use it where the state is given by an predicate adjective (Luther ist ... unbeheligt geblieben. Similar result at To view the link you have to Register or Login. So it must be considered grammatical (at least these days) but both those examples to me seem to have better alternatives. I was taught to avoid doing this in A-Level prose which admittedly isn't the same thing as a protest banner but was about style as well as grammar.
Your example feels better with ist trotzdem, because "still" here means "anyway". Oh, and the second sentence needs an article, so should be vom Arschloch (or less colloquially des Arschlochs).

Plenty that's "correct" in colloquial English feels horrible to me. On Twitter repurposing verbs as nouns and vice versa "I gave his tweet a like because I heart what he says" is considered OK.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:43 PM

JimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
It feels ever so awkward to me. My point was it was clumsy, not ungrammatical. So I had a look here

Just one of the examples seems to involve a noun phrase as a nominative-case complement where bleiben replaces sein, but it does remind me that you can use it where the state is given by an predicate adjective (Luther ist ... unbeheligt geblieben. Similar result at To view the link you have to Register or Login. So it must be considered grammatical (at least these days) but both those examples to me seem to have better alternatives. I was taught to avoid doing this in A-Level prose which admittedly isn't the same thing as a protest banner but was about style as well as grammar.
Your example feels better with ist trotzdem, because "still" here means "anyway". Oh, and the second sentence needs an article, so should be vom Arschloch (or less colloquially des Arschlochs).

Plenty that's "correct" in colloquial English feels horrible to me. On Twitter repurposing verbs as nouns and vice versa "I gave his tweet a like because I heart what he says" is considered OK.
Doesn't feel that clumsy to me... And my example is fine too (To view the link you have to Register or Login)

Last edited by JimmyAG; 01-03-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:03 PM
evvo111

evvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is here
Lucky they didn't use Monty Python as the basis of the banner or they would probably have been sentenced to 5 years in jail:

"The wise are instructed by reason; ordinary minds by experience; the stupid, by necessity; and brutes by instinct."
EE site palacecomrades com
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
Old 01-03-2020, 04:16 PM

I think they should correct it 100x ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evvo111 View Post
Lucky they didn't use Monty Python as the basis of the banner or they would probably have been sentenced to 5 years in jail:

Old 01-03-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Doesn't feel that clumsy to me... And my example is fine too (To view the link you have to Register or Login)
Just because someone else wrote it and just because it's a saying doesn't make it gramatically correct.

It's comparing "nice" and "arsehole" and saying that the one is effectively a euphemism for the other. Leaving aside the fact that this is bollocks, either it's comparing concepts or it's comparing the meanings of the words. If the former, nouns (but not adjectives) referenced as concepts require the definite article. If the latter, words referenced as substantives in their own right belong in quotation marks.

"For f***'s sake" is hardly grammatical, but people say it all the time.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:39 PM

Seriously, I think you need to get out of your Château more often.

I certainly don't need any help with my German grammar, which I've been studying/using long enough!

1) "Hopp bleibt ein Hurensohn" was part of the full text "Alles beim Alten, der DFB bricht sein Wort, Hopp bleibt ein Hurensohn." So "bleiben" is not clumsy and makes perfect sense to me here... (in the sense of "ist weiterhin")

2) "Nett ist der Bruder von Arschloch" and "Nett ist die kleine Schwester von Scheiße" are colloquial sayings here in Germany. I'm well aware that these would usually be "vom" and "von der" respectively. Nett, Arschloch and Scheiße are being used here like names, hence "von". Alles klar?
Old 01-03-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Seriously, I think you need to get out of your Château more often.

I certainly don't need any help with my German grammar, which I've been studying/using long enough!

1) "Hopp bleibt ein Hurensohn" was part of the full text "Alles beim Alten, der DFB bricht sein Wort, Hopp bleibt ein Hurensohn." So "bleiben" is not clumsy and makes perfect sense to me here... (in the sense of "ist weiterhin")

2) "Nett ist der Bruder von Arschloch" and "Nett ist die kleine Schwester von Scheiße" are colloquial sayings here in Germany. I'm well aware that these would usually be "vom" and "von der" respectively. Nett, Arschloch and Scheiße are being used here like names, hence "von". Alles klar?
I will agree to disagree with you on point 1 because it's a matter of style. The whole sentence feels awkward to me.

On point 2 I understand that fine well and discussed it above; you require quotes in that case. They aren't proper nouns so to pretend they are is poetic license at best.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I will agree to disagree with you on point 1 because it's a matter of style. The whole sentence feels awkward to me.

On point 2 I understand that fine well and discussed it above; you require quotes in that case. They aren't proper nouns so to pretend they are is incorrect.