Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 24-05-2019, 02:57 PM
ho hum

Big Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw a young scottish band called Vida on Wednesday at the 100 club. Excellent young band. Coming up I have Ride, Malahide Castle Festival with Noel G, Doves, Blossoms and DMA's, then Dylan and Neil Young at Hyde Park. Might try and sneak in Band of Horses as well. Oh and a ska festival in Lurgan, which could be lively!!!
Old 25-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Pills wont help you now

Davy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy64 View Post
Off to All Points East later. Annoyingly Primal Scream clash with Jon Hopkins ... it's a toughie, will probably go with Primal Scream though.

Great weather for a music festival
Shouldn't have mentioned that, got soaked but the beer got me through it. Great afternoon / evening.

One of things ive noticed is that crowds these days are so much more like spectators rather than music fans a bit like in football which is a great shame.

Also noticed arty t shirts are all the rave, whats that all about?

'What a divergence from that playoff shambles. Palace beating the Premier League Title Holders, whilst we lose 1-0 at Rotherham FFS. What a gulf.' from NSC 6/4/15
Old 26-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
Quote:
Shouldn't have mentioned that, got soaked but the beer got me through it. Great afternoon / evening.

One of things ive noticed is that crowds these days are so much more like spectators rather than music fans a bit like in football which is a great shame.

Also noticed arty t shirts are all the rave, whats that all about?
Wouldn't really agree. Plenty of excitable fans at APE yesterday with mosh pits for the likes of Johnny Marr & Fat White Family. Marr made my day with his set full of classics from his back catalogue but my favourite performance of the day came from BC Camplight who had a tiny audience, for a large festival, of a few hundred but all were up for a good time as BC charmed us with his sugar coated acerbic tunes of being deported & his fight to stay in Manchester with one Theresa May for whom he had a few choice words at his delight of her resigning.

slight disappointments were the Raconteurs with Jack White's blinding guitar playing all over new material which was good. However he should have taken a tip from Johnny Marr & mixed it up with some of his more popular old tunes for a festival crowd. We left early so he might have done this later on in the set.

The other disappointment was The Strokes as we were so far back that we had to watch the performance on the giant screens which never sits well with me. Casablancas also made some very derogatory comments about Hammond jr. This might have been banter but from such a distance it just seemed like band members bickering. The friends we were with had had enough after 20 minutes so we called it a day. Won't rush back to see The Strokes.

Other bands seen included, Dream Wife (ok), Anna Calvi (I can only listen to 10 minutes of her whining), Parquet Courts (great noise) & Courtney Barnett (who's always joyous live).

I found All Points East to be too commercial with the festival sponsors splattered everywhere as well as not enough choice when it came to food & drink. I preferred the set up when Field Day ran the festival as it had a more relaxed, independent & less corporate feel to the site. This is where I have a big issue with modern festivals and in-particular the giant viewing platforms erected for the various sponsors which block the view of the stage for us mere punters. They're wank and need to go.
Old 26-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Pills wont help you now

Davy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is hereDavy64 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
Wouldn't really agree. Plenty of excitable fans at APE yesterday with mosh pits for the likes of Johnny Marr & Fat White Family. Marr made my day with his set full of classics from his back catalogue but my favourite performance of the day came from BC Camplight who had a tiny audience, for a large festival, of a few hundred but all were up for a good time as BC charmed us with his sugar coated acerbic tunes of being deported & his fight to stay in Manchester with one Theresa May for whom he had a few choice words at his delight of her resigning.

slight disappointments were the Raconteurs with Jack White's blinding guitar playing all over new material which was good. However he should have taken a tip from Johnny Marr & mixed it up with some of his more popular old tunes for a festival crowd. We left early so he might have done this later on in the set.

The other disappointment was The Strokes as we were so far back that we had to watch the performance on the giant screens which never sits well with me. Casablancas also made some very derogatory comments about Hammond jr. This might have been banter but from such a distance it just seemed like band members bickering. The friends we were with had had enough after 20 minutes so we called it a day. Won't rush back to see The Strokes.

Other bands seen included, Dream Wife (ok), Anna Calvi (I can only listen to 10 minutes of her whining), Parquet Courts (great noise) & Courtney Barnett (who's always joyous live).

I found All Points East to be too commercial with the festival sponsors splattered everywhere as well as not enough choice when it came to food & drink. I preferred the set up when Field Day ran the festival as it had a more relaxed, independent & less corporate feel to the site. This is where I have a big issue with modern festivals and in-particular the giant viewing platforms erected for the various sponsors which block the view of the stage for us mere punters. They're wank and need to go.
seeing him in Islington in November, lesser well known bands are more likely to have genuine support. i was referring to the chems and primal scream. agree on field day, was also £25 cheaper.

'What a divergence from that playoff shambles. Palace beating the Premier League Title Holders, whilst we lose 1-0 at Rotherham FFS. What a gulf.' from NSC 6/4/15
Old 27-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
I think All Points East is superb personally.

Never long to queue for beer. Would have liked some more bars to be stock Five Points but is what it is.
Festivals have been commercially minded with sponsorships. It’s the only way they can be really make profit.
I never feel like it’s a detriment to the festival.

On Saturday, despite being sold out, I thought it never felt too packed.

Saturday, thought Fat White Family were superb, as was Jonny Marr. Raconteurs better than I expected them to be.

We were next to the sound desk for the strokes, and the sound was just flat, but they looked like they were putting on a show. We then decided to move back. Had to watch on the screen, but the sound was much better. We all had a blast though.

Yesterday was just as enjoyable. Saw a bit of Toro Y Moi, most of Beach House and then a lot of Kamasi Washington. Metronomy were an absolute joy, so much so, I didn’t get to see any of James Blake.

Christine and The Queens though. Wow. What a show. One of the best, and most inspiring festival sets I’ve seen.
Old 27-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Pills wont help you now

Yeah dont want to appear like a moaner but the sound wasnt the best on Friday for volume either. All the same I did have a great time.

Old 27-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Only for the strokes I found.
Was a real disappointment and no idea why. All the other times I’ve been there, it’s been great.
Old 28-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Pills wont help you now

Mark Knofler tonight. Looking forward to that.

Old 28-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
I think All Points East is superb personally.

Never long to queue for beer. Would have liked some more bars to be stock Five Points but is what it is.
Festivals have been commercially minded with sponsorships. It’s the only way they can be really make profit.
I never feel like it’s a detriment to the festival.

On Saturday, despite being sold out, I thought it never felt too packed.

Saturday, thought Fat White Family were superb, as was Jonny Marr. Raconteurs better than I expected them to be.

We were next to the sound desk for the strokes, and the sound was just flat, but they looked like they were putting on a show. We then decided to move back. Had to watch on the screen, but the sound was much better. We all had a blast though.

Yesterday was just as enjoyable. Saw a bit of Toro Y Moi, most of Beach House and then a lot of Kamasi Washington. Metronomy were an absolute joy, so much so, I didn’t get to see any of James Blake.

Christine and The Queens though. Wow. What a show. One of the best, and most inspiring festival sets I’ve seen.

Agree, APE is a very well run festival with a great line up over the weekend. Can understand also why it needs to be so heavily sponsored as it's a major money stream for bands and their management. It's the world we live in today, just preferred the Field Day set up in the past but am just splitting hairs.

I'll look forward to next year's APE in the hope of as good a day out as we had this year. Much better then my BST experience seeing The Cure last year.
Old 28-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Grrrrrrr.......

Ev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEv came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The Waterboys at the Roundhouse last Friday were excellent, with a new album also released that day apparently.

Next is the mighty Stereolab doing a tour warm-up at Ramsgate Music Hall tonight.

Last edited by Ev; 29-05-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 30-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev View Post

Next is the mighty Stereolab doing a tour warm-up at Ramsgate Music Hall tonight.
Would love to see that. In other business, you see , I can't really hate Brighton. Off in a few hours to see The Futureheads by the beach @ Concorde2. Warm day too. Supoib. Dinosaur Pileup in a couple , back closer to home.
Old 30-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Pills wont help you now

Quote:
Mark Knofler tonight. Looking forward to that.
His musicianship is still exceptional, however he talked his way through most of the lyrics which was a bit of a shame. Tbh i didn't realise he was 69 either and it showed. I suppose not everyone is going to have the same energy of Iggy Pop or Mick Jagger at that age. The sound though at the O2 is just so good.

Old 30-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Got Muse on Saturday night at the London Stadium. Looking forward to it. I've never seen them live.
Old 30-05-2019, 02:41 PM

hilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
Got Muse on Saturday night at the London Stadium. Looking forward to it. I've never seen them live.
I think they're dreadful (weren't Queen bad enough the first time round?), but I was asked on a guardian soulmates date to this with an incredibly pretty woman who has a spare ticket. So I'll be concentrating on the (apparently brilliant) pyrotechnics display they do and sticking my fingers in my ears when she's not looking.
Old 30-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Slip it!

Abjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw Mariah Carey at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday. She was absolutely ******* brilliant - still got it. Her voice was superb and the acoustics there made it even more impressive that it would normally have been.

First time I've been in the RAH, such a great venue. Bit weird walking past my office on a Bank Holiday (I work just behind it) but once I was over that, it was enjoyable
Old 30-05-2019, 02:48 PM

hilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethilairehair came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Also, I saw Warm Drag at the Shacklewell Arms on Monday. Recommended.
Old 30-05-2019, 03:04 PM

Eli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was also at APE last Friday and had a good time (although wish they could learn to put some proper signposts up which point the way to each stage rather than a couple of maps stuck up around the site) - I saw bits of several acts (Spiritualized, Steve Mason and Roisin Murphy spring to mind), but the only one I saw all the way through was Primal Scream, who I managed to watch from right down the front: I thought the rain near the end actually added something to their set rather than spoiling things. When they had finished, I went off to get a drink but by the time I went round to the main stage, there were far too many people crammed in there for the Chemical Brothers for my liking (I didn't want to spend 90 minutes trying to peer over the shoulders of the throng)so I left after two numbers and went to see Optimo play the rest of their set at the X stage instead : they were truly excellent (going to see them play at Phonox in Brixton in July)
Old 30-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilairehair View Post
I think they're dreadful (weren't Queen bad enough the first time round?), but I was asked on a guardian soulmates date to this with an incredibly pretty woman who has a spare ticket. So I'll be concentrating on the (apparently brilliant) pyrotechnics display they do and sticking my fingers in my ears when she's not looking.
You never know, you might enjoy it. Either way, hope the date is fun.
Old 30-05-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
You never know, you might enjoy it. Either way, hope the date is fun.
I told her I'd only go if she came to see some doom tuba drone act with me in return. And she agreed.
Old 31-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I went to APE on Friday.
From my recollections I enjoyed it. Sadly I have a massive memory blank from the end of Roisin Murphy to then walking home at the end of the Chemical Bros.
Which kinda sucks.