Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 28-10-2019, 02:52 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
People always mention this muted celebration.

How many goals have been ruled out by VAR compared to the number scored. Our one at West Ham was ruled out by the linesman and reinstated by VAR. We got to celebrate twice!

So far there has been 286 goals given in the PL, when the ball goes in the net it is an overwhelming likelihood the goal is going to stand.
Did you really celebrate that Ayew goal against WHU like you did for instance yesterday though as I and most people thought the goal was offside instantly such was the space he had? I was convinced it was offside before he even touched the ball so it was a slight flicker of the hands with a massively muted 'yes'. I was astonished when the VAR showed it was actually onside. Definitely wouldn't say it was a double celebration though. Just a big final one.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Palace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Personally I think VAR needs to take on board a couple of aspects of what rugby does with the TMO (which isn’t perfect by any stretch; but far better oiled than VAR).

One thing - replays HAVE to be shown on the big screen in the ground. We have to see what the VAR official is seeing, that way the ref can also see it, and it makes the screens on the side of the pitch needless.

Like Ian Wright said yesterday, the fans at the ground are the lifeblood of the game. If they can see what’s going on, it’ll create far more interaction and atmosphere, as opposed to just standing there clueless and not being able to debate the decision. Obviously there’s a couple of grounds with no screens, they’d have to keep their pitch side TV for the ref.

I’d also suggest being able to hear the discussion between the ref and the VAR official on TV, it means fans can understand the decision being made by the officials. Whether they agree or not, at least there’s an explanation.

I’d argue that referees are far more protected by their associations in football than they are in rugby, but then again the refs in rugby demand more respect on the field.

Like I said TMO in rugby is not perfect; if anyone has been watching the World Cup, using VAR’s guidelines, the try that got disallowed from Ben Youngs where the ball was ‘lost’ in the maul - it was not clear and obvious. But at least we got to hear the explanation from the TMO official and the on field official. The fans also got to see it on the screen, there would’ve been some that agreed and some that disagreed.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybin Eagle View Post
My simple worry is what goes around comes around we have been fortunate with some decisions this season to say the least I’m almost glad the Zaha rugby tackle was only a yellow it sort of made there (definitely fair goal) equalised if you can imagine Wilf running on and bursting the back of their net
Tomkins was fouled leading up to the 2nd Arse goal and VAR did nothing about that.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:18 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace43 View Post
Personally I think VAR needs to take on board a couple of aspects of what rugby does with the TMO (which isn’t perfect by any stretch; but far better oiled than VAR).

One thing - replays HAVE to be shown on the big screen in the ground. We have to see what the VAR official is seeing, that way the ref can also see it, and it makes the screens on the side of the pitch needless.

Like Ian Wright said yesterday, the fans at the ground are the lifeblood of the game. If they can see what’s going on, it’ll create far more interaction and atmosphere, as opposed to just standing there clueless and not being able to debate the decision. Obviously there’s a couple of grounds with no screens, they’d have to keep their pitch side TV for the ref.

I’d also suggest being able to hear the discussion between the ref and the VAR official on TV, it means fans can understand the decision being made by the officials. Whether they agree or not, at least there’s an explanation.

I’d argue that referees are far more protected by their associations in football than they are in rugby, but then again the refs in rugby demand more respect on the field.

Like I said TMO in rugby is not perfect; if anyone has been watching the World Cup, using VAR’s guidelines, the try that got disallowed from Ben Youngs where the ball was ‘lost’ in the maul - it was not clear and obvious. But at least we got to hear the explanation from the TMO official and the on field official. The fans also got to see it on the screen, there would’ve been some that agreed and some that disagreed.
Yes I don't see why the officials can't relay their decision making process as happens in Rugby or the NFL? Do they think the crowd is more volatile in football and disorder could occur as a result of the information being relayed?

As you say you could also put the review on the Big Screen and the Referee could look at the pitch side screen for more clarity.

Last edited by SussexRed&Blue; 28-10-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Palace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue View Post
Yes I don't see why the officials can't relay their decision making process as happens in Rugby or the NFL? Do they think the crowd is more volatile in football and disorder could occur as a result of the information being relayed?

As you say you could also put the review on the Big Screen and the Referee could look at the pitch side screen for more clarity.
I think you’ve got it right, they probably think that all hell could break loose if fans are seeing it on the screen.

I mean, refs get incredible abuse as it is. I can’t see it getting much worse. Like I said, football associations protect their referees far too much in my eyes, allowing them to make too many mistakes in the past. Having VAR means more correct decisions going forwards, and I think will lead to football referees gaining more respect. Having it on the big screen or not will not change the reaction towards the referee.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
I do think it was ridiculous that I didn’t know what the last goal was disallowed for until I returned home and saw the replay.

We are the people paying significant sums to watch these matches, yet not allowed to be informed about the key decisions? Cricket and rugby don’t treat the fans like children.

Even a sentence of explanation on the screen would have helped eg ‘no goal due to a foul on a Palace player prior to the shot’, or something like that. Maybe name the players involved.

From our end of the pitch we didn’t know if it was a foul, a handball, an offside etc etc.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:29 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
MarK Halsey saw it our way and thougt the penalty decision was correct
Old 28-10-2019, 03:31 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
Did you really celebrate that Ayew goal against WHU like you did for instance yesterday though as I and most people thought the goal was offside instantly such was the space he had? I was convinced it was offside before he even touched the ball so it was a slight flicker of the hands with a massively muted 'yes'. I was astonished when the VAR showed it was actually onside. Definitely wouldn't say it was a double celebration though. Just a big final one.
No i didn't celebrate as much at WHU because i was about 15 yards from the lineman and saw his flag go up straight away. It was ruled out.

Then i spent 3 minutes having plenty of fun with the WH fans as it was clear it must be close and then went mental when given.

Lets be clear, our goal at WHU was given by VAR, it had been ruled out by the linesman and before this year would not have counted.

The times at the beginning of the month had an article which said only 5% of goals were disallowed by VAR.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I do think it was ridiculous that I didn’t know what the last goal was disallowed for until I returned home and saw the replay.

We are the people paying significant sums to watch these matches, yet not allowed to be informed about the key decisions? Cricket and rugby don’t treat the fans like children.

Even a sentence of explanation on the screen would have helped eg ‘no goal due to a foul on a Palace player prior to the shot’, or something like that. Maybe name the players involved.

From our end of the pitch we didn’t know if it was a foul, a handball, an offside etc etc.
Football Fans are children compared to rugby and cricket fans.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:33 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Of course it was a penalty. Wilf also went down theatrically.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranesparkeagle View Post
MarK Halsey saw it our way and thougt the penalty decision was correct
Dreamt Gallagher and the Sky crew reviewed it this. Morning, unanimously said it was a clear pen and a poor decision from Atkinson
Old 28-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Lprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
damned if you do and damned if you don't for Wilf.

What do people expect him to do when a leg is out in front of you? stop in his tracks? He can't climb under it, he can't run through the leg so has to go over the leg.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:51 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden View Post
It was Geoff Thomas who was fouled in the box!
I forgot exactly, and yet I was there lol
Old 28-10-2019, 03:57 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats74 View Post
Just read Clattenburke’s view on yesterday and he said Zaha dived...confirmed my view on that bloke.

Confirms that he fixed the cup final in 2016. It should be replayed this weekend.
Old 28-10-2019, 03:57 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprkorngod View Post
damned if you do and damned if you don't for Wilf.

What do people expect him to do when a leg is out in front of you? stop in his tracks? He can't climb under it, he can't run through the leg so has to go over the leg.
Can't go over it, can't go under it, can't go round it, got to go through it.

We going on a penalty hunt.......
Old 28-10-2019, 03:58 PM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Wright pointed out , on motd 2 , that Atkinson couldn’t wait to dish the yellow card and that was purely down to wilfs reputation. Let’s see how many
Penalties he gets from now on .
Old 28-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
What a f--king w----r he is!

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Bloke needs to be enshrined in a Palace song like Cantona
Old 28-10-2019, 05:12 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereichstuff View Post
Wright pointed out , on motd 2 , that Atkinson couldn’t wait to dish the yellow card and that was purely down to wilfs reputation. Let’s see how many
Penalties he gets from now on .
I got impression Wright was actually defending Wilf and criticising Atkinson.
Old 28-10-2019, 05:12 PM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
I got impression Wright was actually defending Wilf and criticising Atkinson.
He was
Old 28-10-2019, 05:29 PM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
No i didn't celebrate as much at WHU because i was about 15 yards from the lineman and saw his flag go up straight away. It was ruled out.

Then i spent 3 minutes having plenty of fun with the WH fans as it was clear it must be close and then went mental when given.

Lets be clear, our goal at WHU was given by VAR, it had been ruled out by the linesman and before this year would not have counted.

The times at the beginning of the month had an article which said only 5% of goals were disallowed by VAR.
The linesman are now ten times more likely to put their flag up knowing that var will make the final call. I don't think you can say VAR gave the west ham goal. I actually think in a normal season the lino wouldn't have put his flag up. Who knows