Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 07-09-2021, 04:28 AM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 07-09-2021, 04:57 AM

Johnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Haha
Old 07-09-2021, 05:58 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
I seem to recall that one of the pop super-composers of the 80s/90s admitted to just recycling Bach and Telemann endlessly. I think the trick was to take a 3/4 melody and make it 4/4. I wish I could remember which one it was.
To be fair, stealing others ideas/tunes was endemic during the Baroque period. Telemann and Handel would openly take from each other, but were friends so didn’t seem to mind.

It just makes the point stronger that all songs are not entirely original and are taken either consciously or subconsciously from somewhere. It’s all about how well you manipulate and mix those influences and ingredients that turns an average writer into a great one.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 09-09-2021, 11:18 PM
in the 25th Century

Polish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
U2 seemed to have a lot of "inspiration" from Echo and the Bunnymen.
I know they supported them at one time
Old 21-09-2021, 08:28 PM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
George Harrison famously defended legal claims that he'd ripped off "My Sweet Lord" from the Chiffons' "He's So Fine" but ultimately lost.

McCartney was terrified that "Yesterday" had come frome something else he had heard but ultimately his fears were unfounded.

It's a bit of a minefield.
Old 21-09-2021, 09:22 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
Many years back Lionel Bart well known for the musical Oliver wrote a song " Fings aint what they used to be" with part of the lyrics being (Turned our local Palais into a bowling alley) which was a rip off from the tune of " Mountain Greenery"

Went into a court case and Bart lost.
Old 22-09-2021, 04:16 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorBlimey View Post
George Harrison famously defended legal claims that he'd ripped off "My Sweet Lord" from the Chiffons' "He's So Fine" but ultimately lost.

McCartney was terrified that "Yesterday" had come frome something else he had heard but ultimately his fears were unfounded.

It's a bit of a minefield.
It is. Harrison’s My Sweet Lord is most obviously a rip off, although I doubt he realised until someone pointed it out to him. That happens quite a lot to writers. I’ve written songs since I was a kid and you just pluck them from your subconscious. Sometimes you write something you think is unique, only to realise a few days later that it has its origins from an old song you’ve heard.

Think the brain is like a tape recorder, and what goes in, comes out. I believe ‘original’ songs are just bastardisations of so many influences, that you can’t trace the tracks.

I dare say the tune to Yesterday probably harks back to some old classical piece or two or three. McCartney’s dad played a lot of classical music in the McCartney house (he was in a jazz band); and also, at the time Paul wrote Yesterday, he was living in Jane Asher’s family home, and her dad had a vast array of classical albums which Paul would rifle through. Lyrically, I think the song was inspired from sadly losing his mum in his mid teens.

An interesting attempt at trying to sue The Beatles came after they released The White album. There was a Jamaican guy that Paul was friendly with at a club he used to frequent, who used to always say ‘Ob-la-de Ob-la-da, life goes on bro’. Paul thought that would be a good line for a song, and one of his most famous songs was born. When the Jamaican guy heard the song he took legal action but it didn’t get anywhere.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 22-09-2021, 06:54 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Someone told a story the other day that an artist had ripped off one of Elvis Costellos songs, can't remember who or which song. When asked if he wanted to take legal action over it , Costello said no he was sure he'd done it himself in the past. In the 60's there was a band called Gary Puckett and the Union gap. They ripped themselves off ,three records different lyrics same tune
Old 22-09-2021, 07:24 AM

fire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bassett View Post
Many years back Lionel Bart well known for the musical Oliver wrote a song " Fings aint what they used to be" with part of the lyrics being (Turned our local Palais into a bowling alley) which was a rip off from the tune of " Mountain Greenery"

Went into a court case and Bart lost.
Which was repeated again but shuffled around by the kinks in come dancing

"Before that, they put up a bowling alley
On the site that used to be the local palais"
Old 22-09-2021, 10:32 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
"I can hardly bare the sight of lipstick
On the cigarettes there in the ashtray......
"And a lip print on a half-filled cup of coffee
That you poured and didn't drink...."

Lines from 'Good Year For The Roses", written in 1970 by Gerry Chesnut (Thank you, Wiki) and recorded by George Jones and Elvis Costello amongst others.

Ripped off (?) by Gary Barlow in 'Back For Good': "Lipstick rings still on your coffee cup". Must have heard the Costello version of the song at least and it stuck. The musicality (is that a word?) is strikingly similar too. Does that count as plagiarism? It is an expression of emotion, as are many, many other phrases. Where does it start and stop?
Old 22-09-2021, 11:10 AM
Bog Whoppit

Fen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
“They are all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order”