Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 17-10-2020, 07:59 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
EVERTON 0
PALACE 0

Att: 24,504

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Gray (Barber). McGoldrick (unused)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Interesting to see from that first report, the referee commenting on decisions made during the game. Not something seen now.
Old 17-10-2020, 08:17 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
I went to Goodison. A tight affair. Feeling at the end of the game was one of contentment really. Remember us all singing joyfully at the final whistle. It had got to the stage where we were well aware of our unbeaten record and it felt important to hold onto it. They hit the bar and though we came close a few times, I felt a draw was a fair result.

This was the first point we’d earned on Merseyside since 1972. In fact, the 2-1 win the following season at Anfield was the first time a Crystal Palace side had won on Merseyside.

The previous season we’d lost 9-0 and 4-0. Before that in 80/81: 3-0 and 5-0 defeats.

So since the war, we went 19 league and cup games without victory on Merseyside.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 18-10-2020, 07:43 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Just like in real life, the international break has caused this thread to lose momentum!

Next up was Everton away. A 0-0 draw at Goodison Park was a marked improvement on the 0-4 we suffered there the previous March. Thorny hit the bar with a header if I recall correctly. It kept the unbeaten run going and put us on a record of P9 W4 D5.

As solid a start as we'd dare hope for but four draws in the last five games meant there was still a degree of doubt as to how good this team actually was.
In my own defence I did say in the opening post that I'd aim to post updates a day or two before the thirtieth anniversary of each match - you went too early!

Everton had been unable to capitalise on their brief period of domestic dominance in the mid-80s, when they won four trophies in as many seasons. They had developed a reputation for paying over the odds on big money signings who never quite worked out. Tony Cottee, Mike Newell, Pat Nevin and Stuart McCall spring readily to mind. Would be interesting to get hold of the opposition line-ups for some of these games, I suspect the Everton one was pretty stuffed with expensive players plus a few overhangs from their glory years.

Like others I recalled this game as a tight affair which reaffirmed our new found defensive solidity, although worth noting that the result kept Everton in the relegation zone with just a single win in their opening nine fixtures. Come the spring, Everton would loom large on the horizon again and I'm looking forward to reaching that point in the season.

Still four unbeaten teams after nine games and we were still waiting for the 'classic' 1990/91 season line up to reveal itself, with Barber and Pardew still hanging around.
Old 18-10-2020, 07:49 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Looking at the new entrants into the top 10 for week ending 20 October, it was thin gruel indeed with just one effort listed and a stinker at that:

Let's Try It Again / (Didn't I) Blow Your Mind This Time - Double A side by New Kids On The Block

This went in to the top 10 at number 8 and then buggered off out again the following week. Like a number of acts already mentioned, NKOTB were coming towards the end of their commercial peak having enjoyed a couple of smash hits a year or two previously. Their boyband model supposedly influenced the conception of Take That so they have a lot to answer for. In later years they became most notably known for the fact that one of their members was the brother of Hollywood star Mark 'Marky Mark' Wahlberg.

Don't worry pop pickers, the following week's chart has a bit more going on.
Old 18-10-2020, 07:58 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Think this Everton game was the first airing of the all red kit.

Clearly meant to antagonise the blue noses on Merseyside.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 18-10-2020, 01:34 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe
Everton had been unable to capitalise on their brief period of domestic dominance in the mid-80s, when they won four trophies in as many seasons. They had developed a reputation for paying over the odds on big money signings who never quite worked out. Tony Cottee, Mike Newell, Pat Nevin and Stuart McCall spring readily to mind. Would be interesting to get hold of the opposition line-ups for some of these games, I suspect the Everton one was pretty stuffed with expensive players plus a few overhangs from their glory years.
EVERTON: Neville SOUTHALL, Neil McDONALD, Dave WATSON, Kevin RATCLIFFE+, Ray ATTEVELD, John EBBRELL, Stuart McCALL, Pat NEVIN, Andy HINCHCLIFFE+, Tony COTTEE, Graeme SHARP. Subs: Martin KEOWN, Mike NEWELL
Old 19-10-2020, 02:57 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Everton had been unable to capitalise on their brief period of domestic dominance in the mid-80s, when they won four trophies in as many seasons.
They were undoubtedly the biggest losers from the ban on English clubs in Europe after Heysel.

I wasn't at this 0-0, but as others have said it was a real marker for comparison of improvement against the previous year, when after our 0-4 defeat I think it was Tommy Smith that said we were the worst team he'd ever seen in the First Division.

Unusual also that there were still 4 teams unbeaten after 9 games, coming up to a quarter of the season gone.
Old 19-10-2020, 07:45 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
In my own defence I did say in the opening post that I'd aim to post updates a day or two before the thirtieth anniversary of each match - you went too early!
You are right. My apologies. My favourite thread - I was missing it and jumped the gun! Damn that international break in 1990

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 19-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Looking at the new entrants into the top 10 for week ending 20 October, it was thin gruel indeed with just one effort listed and a stinker at that:

Let's Try It Again / (Didn't I) Blow Your Mind This Time - Double A side by New Kids On The Block

This went in to the top 10 at number 8 and then buggered off out again the following week. Like a number of acts already mentioned, NKOTB were coming towards the end of their commercial peak
They were massive for a short while. I never realised just how short that window was tbh. Right Stuff and Hanging Tough were smashes both sides of the Atlantic. Didn't realise they were were already on the slide barely a year later in this country.

To their credit they did vary it a bit - wasn't just pure . Tonight I remember being acceptable to admit to liking as a lad at the time (had elements of '60s vibes to it) and then Games was an acceptable rap type effort early in 91 and then from memory they pretty much disappeared after that.

Old 21-10-2020, 08:17 AM

Never noticed our away goal difference in isolation before now.

P5 W2 D3 F7 A2

+5 after 5 games is insane. Young would have been top of the Fantasy League defenders as a guess had that game taken off at this point (there was a forerunner called Dream League but I don't know how the scoring worked for that), although Stuart Pearce's insane goal tally that season would have gained him a lot of points

Old 25-10-2020, 09:30 AM

So the calendar moves around towards our next game, which was on 27 October 1990 versus our neighbours from out west Wimbledon.

This match evokes strong memories for a number of reasons. First and foremost it was a real goalfest, Palace running out 4-3 winners with goals from Bright, Gray, Humphrey and Thomas. Geoff Thomas was in the middle of a real purple patch from midfield, this was his fourth goal in six league games and the rumours were that Graham Taylor was starting to take note. I cannot remember the exact scoring sequence but from memory Wimbledon took the lead early on but we soon turned it around and once in front we stayed there without ever being able to kill them off.

We were treated to extended highlights of this game on LWT the following day (still a rarity in those days). The great Brian Moore did the commentary, at one point breaking off from describing the game to simply remark 'this is a wonderful game!'. I loved Brian Moore, he always seemed to recognise that he was in a privileged position of being paid to watch and talk about football games and he struck the right balance of being enthusiastic without ever over-hyping. He also resisted the John Motson failing of trying to be over-elaborate with his commentary.

The other key memory from the match was that it was John Fashanu's first appearance since lurid tabloid stories about his brother Justin's sex life had appeared. Justin had revealed that he was bisexual and had had an affair with Julie Goodyear (Bet Lynch from Corrie). John's every touch was greeted with ironic catcalls and wolf whistles, pretty shameful stuff in hindsight and these days we would be vilified for it. Fashanu had the last laugh of sorts, scoring a delightful chip at the Holmesdale end. I was directly behind the arc of the ball as it looped over Nigel Martyn into the net and you had to appreciate the skill.
Old 25-10-2020, 09:36 AM

It was also a busy week as far as the charts were concerned, with four new entries into the top ten as follows:

Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers - this re-release went all the way to the top and in fact became the biggest selling single of the year. Was it tied in with the film Ghost? Maybe, I'm sure someone will correct me if not.

Kinky Afro by Happy Mondays - Madchester lit large, these lairy oiks owned the Top Of The Pops studio when invited to perform this song. This was a time when the established hierarchy of pop royalty started to get shaken up, the Brits would no longer be dominated by the likes of Phil Collins, Sting and Dire Straits year after year after year.

I'm Your Baby Tonight by Whitney Houston - workmanlike and unexceptional fodder from the hit machine.

Take My Breath Away by Berlin - another re-release for reasons which have escaped me, it had got to number 1 only a couple of years previously and went as high as number 3 this time around. It has its admirers, I'm not one of them.
Old 25-10-2020, 09:53 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Was one of those games packed with goals incidents and controversy. A typical London Derby it was not. However in line with the Millwall game the season before a typical South East London Derby.
The Fashanu abuse though is the standout memory many years latter. Which is the great shame.
Old 25-10-2020, 10:14 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Fashanu flicked the Vs at the Holmesdale after he scored. And fair play to him. My mate was moaning about the defending as we left. But I was happy with a hugely entertaining game, which were not that common at the time.
Old 25-10-2020, 10:40 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Wimbledon highlights here

Segers looks to get down really slowly to Humphrey’s shot.

I also really remember the Andy Gray goal - seems to have to wait ages before it sits right for him, with Segers looking like he’s thinking ‘Oh ****, he’s going to muller it at me’.

I always get this game mixed up with the 3-2 ‘Salako in goal’ game the following season.
Old 25-10-2020, 11:55 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
The other thing from this game 30 years ago is a reflection on how in relatively a short time society changes. Contrast the abuse to Fash to the applause for Eddie Izzard. This is not just true regarding sexuality the same comment can be made about race from the 70s compared to the 2000s.
Sure not perfect now but a long way forward from the worse times. I still argue sport plays a major part in this role model of players help change perceptions.
Rashford however much a Utd player is showing it today. The next player to come out will face considerable less hostility than that shown to Fash and his family shown then.

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 25-10-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 25-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Wimbledon highlights here

Segers looks to get down really slowly to Humphrey’s shot.

I also really remember the Andy Gray goal - seems to have to wait ages before it sits right for him, with Segers looking like he’s thinking ‘Oh ****, he’s going to muller it at me’.

I always get this game mixed up with the 3-2 ‘Salako in goal’ game the following season.
Thanks for that, hadn't seen those goals for years. At least Hodges got an assist in this game so he contributed something during his ill-fated spell with us.

The abuse for Fashanu comes across loud and clear in the build up to his goal.
Old 25-10-2020, 05:53 PM

PALACE 4....Thomas. Humphrey. Gray. Bright.
WIMBLEDON 3.....McGee 2. Fashanu

ATT: 16,778

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Bright. Wright. Hodges. Subs: Barber (for Hodges). Pardew (unused)

- John Peel
Old 25-10-2020, 06:15 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
‘We’ve got that Terry Phelan on loan-oan-oan’

Still one of my favourite Palace songs
Old 25-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Probably one of the most memorable games of the season, in part to it being televised. Remember hearing a lot of praise from neutrals after that as our play that day was very eye catching despite conceding three. Wimbledon were like that - they never gave up.

But it felt we’d really come of age. Ten league games unbeaten - still only 4th mind, with somehow Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs also undefeated. But there was a swagger and class about us that really made people sit up and take notice. We were finally being taken seriously.

As mentioned, this game is also remembered for John Fashanu and the continuous cat calls every time he touched the ball. There was a break in play for treatment at one point and watching from the Whitehorse, I saw Ian Wright walk behind Fash just around the centre circle. He then cheekily started pinching Fash’s bum continuously while looking round at the Whitehorse grinning from ear to ear. Fash was slapping Wright’s hand away very forcefully and was clearly not happy with being teased. The fans that spotted it were obviously laughing along. It just sounds so horrible now talking about it and it really was a bygone age.

The real victim of course was Justin mind, not John, who didn’t support his brother in such a monumental moment in his life. He did offer to pay Justin whatever he was getting from The Sun in order not to sell his story and reveal his sexuality but Justin refused. I believe John was furious and didn’t talk to him after the news broke.

- John Peel