Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

View Poll Results: How much do you care about England compared to Palace?
More than Palace 1 0.55%
The same 22 12.15%
Less than Palace 76 41.99%
Couldn’t give a toss compared to Palace 80 44.20%
Moo 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
How much do you care about England compared to Palace?

Inspired by posts on the match thread. Well?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 AM
Contents May Vary

Robson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is here
I was talking about this with the other half just now: yes, I'm gutted, but I'll still get over it quicker than losing a league game against Burnley or someone. Can't really say why, but I guess CPFC somehow feels far more personal to me than England, and I take Palace defeats far harder than is probably healthy. This defeat - I'll be completely fine in the morning.
"Not only did the Palace fans sing and chant for the entire 90 minutes, but they stayed behind after the final whistle in order to express their gratitude to players and manager for their efforts. If this is a set of supporters headed for relegation, that is to the Championship's gain and the true detriment of the Premier League, where sterile atmospheres have become worryingly commonplace." - Football365
Old 12-07-2018, 01:00 AM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
I was at the Claridge shin match. After witnessing that as a kid you can pretty much deal with anything in football. England losing tonight is disappointing but to compare it to Palace is impossible as it doesn't even compare in importance.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:01 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson View Post
I was talking about this with the other half just now: yes, I'm gutted, but I'll still get over it quicker than losing a league game against Burnley or someone. Can't really say why, but I guess CPFC somehow feels far more personal to me than England, and I take Palace defeats far harder than is probably healthy. This defeat - I'll be completely fine in the morning.
I am over the England loss already. It is I suppose amazing that we would attach greater importance to Palace playing Burnley than England playing in a World cup semi final, but it is what it is.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 AM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Wonder how different it would have been if we had won.... Does not take long does it...?
Old 12-07-2018, 01:09 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
Wonder how different it would have been if we had won.... Does not take long does it...?
I for one would have the same opinion. Supporting England this world cups been fun and chilled for me, not the nail biting agony of most Palace matches, and either walking on sunshine for the next few days or being miserable.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:17 AM
your best is an idiot!

Leopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is hereLeopald Stotch Sam the man is here
My feeling has been consistent from the start of the tournament. Throughout the season I use up so much nervous energy watching Palace play, that I find it hard to switch on with England whenever they are in a competition. I want them to win of course, but I just can't commit myself to be as involved as I am with Palace.
I can guarantee that every loss next season will make me feel much worse than tonight did.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:22 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
The same question needs to be asked to the players, substituting Palace for the club they play for.

I guess the cynic might say substitute for who pays their wages.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:26 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Oh... and my wife said to me, "You don't seem very upset?".

I said, "52 years is a long time to be upset!".

I will admit England winning has been enjoyable, but it's hard to get upset at losing.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 AM

chateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I used to get worked up about them in the 1990 and 1998 world cups, Euro 96 and the night they stuffed the Krauts 5 - 1 in their own garden privy. But since then I've seen so much s*** and posturing and all this rubbish of picking s*** players who happen to be on the books of "big" teams, culminating in the disgraceful fiasco of ignoring Wilf for so long that he decided he'd rather call himself Ivorian than continue to be insulted by this soi-disant establishment, that I can't manage more than an occasional glance at my phone when the draw falls such as to let them through to the semi-final. And that and the Columbia game should tell anyone who saw them why pigs will fly before they win the World Cup.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
What this World cup has done for me is that it has reinvigorated in me some level of actually wanting to get behind the England team, but even if we had gone on and won the World Cup it would not have stirred my emotions as much as a Palace win against Burnley. This is not a choice, this is just something that has hapened within me.

Go back 15-20 years ago and it was different and my emotions were moved greatly by how England got on in big games.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 12-07-2018, 01:59 AM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
For me, we have played such dire football for so long, it just turned me off. I think after the Sven years and wally with the brolly came in it has been a downhill slope. Lumping up to Crouch and hoping it sticks isn't fun to watch which is what most England games seemed to be like. I used to watch all the friendlies as well as the qualifiers but I haven't even watched a qualifier for 5-6 years.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:02 AM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
There was a time I cared about England as much as Palace but that ended around 2006 when I gave up believing I would ever live to see England win a WC or Euro. There's only so much underachievement and disappointment you can take from your national team while Palace, to my mind, has always punched above it's weight.

The last six years has only strengthened my faith and love in my club and I feel we might be on the cusp of a new era but I turned off the England game the second we went 2-1 down tonight and didn't look back. I had no faith we would save ourselves and no interest sitting through yet another utter f*cking let down.

Being born to being an England fan after '66 is like being in an abusive relationship until you wise up to reality. I still care to a certain extent but refuse to give my all to hoping with England like I do Palace. Palace rewards you. England doesn't.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:05 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
The FA Cup final took months to get over.

This is nowhere near the same intensity and I'm guessing once the tournament is over a lot of the sorrow will be too.

I support England, but Palace is something closer to home.

Its like a family member vs a friend you like but arent best mates with.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:10 AM
Power to the Palace

Skiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is hereSkiddo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
but even if we had gone on and won the World Cup it would not have stirred my emotions as much as a Palace win against Burnley.

I’m sorry but this is absolute bollocks.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:51 AM

dan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is heredan27 Sam the man is here
It’s interesting how many people got fed up of England to the extent that they stopped supporting them because they weren’t winning or playing exciting football. Wouldn’t go down well with your club side.

It could have been better.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:46 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Probably a bit different. I do like the fact that the performance in the WC has galvanized the nation with a common interest and we are less of a laughing stock on the world stage, but the feeling with Palace winning is totally different and more satisfying as it is our own private club
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 AM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan27 View Post
It’s interesting how many people got fed up of England to the extent that they stopped supporting them because they weren’t winning or playing exciting football. Wouldn’t go down well with your club side.
Could you imagine Palace being the team that England are especially as we are relegation candidates most of the time.... We had a young team get to the semifinals of the world cup finals which blew my expectations..... You had God knows how many people up and down the country behind these kids.... Yep we lost to a better team but with nothing to be ashamed off. We had something to cheer about and a fantastic world cup... Yet some want to choose when really there is no need at all except more so when England lose... Sometimes some on are what they are supposed to hate.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 AM

IanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Probably a bit different. I do like the fact that the performance in the WC has galvanized the nation with a common interest and we are less of a laughing stock on the world stage, but the feeling with Palace winning is totally different and more satisfying as it is our own private club

Each to their own, but this sums it up for me. I was more annoyed at losing at Brighton in the FA Cup than England losing last night. Club football is more tribal than national football. What did impress me though is how much this World Cup run has managed to unite English people of all colours, races, religions behind a common cause - that was brilliant.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:19 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
The better question might have been England winning the World Cup Vs Palace winning the League Cup?

Yes it would have been good to win the WC but I wouldn't have celebrated as much as Palace winning a Cup or even the playoffs!

Last night I arranged family life around watching England in a semi final, tonight the same to watch a stream of a pre season friendly!