Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

View Poll Results: How much do you care about England compared to Palace?
More than Palace 1 0.55%
The same 22 12.15%
Less than Palace 76 41.99%
Couldn’t give a toss compared to Palace 80 44.20%
Moo 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM

richdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
No comparison really.

Took me 3 weeks to get over losing the cup final and I couldn't even watch football or read about it after that.

Don't feel anywhere near as gutted from last nights loss. Completely normal this morning to be honest.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Maybe it's an age thing but last night wasn't nearly as bad as Euro 96 and Italia 90 for me. Maybe I'm at an age where I have greater priorities and I have no expectations with England, but after the dismal 2010 showing I stopped watching England at international for 4-5 years as I was sick of seeing the same ego driven players under perform.

I like Southgate a lot as a person, and was fortunate to meet him numerous times when I was a kid and he was nothing but accommodating. He clearly has good man management skills. I still think the jury is out on his in game tactics, but he has built a foundation for the Euro's which we now need to utilise. What is most refreshing is seeing a manager select players according to system fit and attitude and not who they play for. There also seems to be a real togetherness with the squad. England have over achieved and should be proud of their efforts.

BTW: Palace over England all day, every day. I'd rather with the ZDS again than see us win the World Cup.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Been on the journey as an England fan since I was 7, the Mexico 1970 World Cup was what got me hooked into football in the first place.

With no immediate Palace supporting family, it took several visits to Selhurst Park, to watch other teams, before I finally clicked into being totally obsessed with Palace.

Meanwhile, although England’s results are always important, even though I have made dozens of trips to Wembley over five decades, the realisation is that following your club is far more important and meaningful than watching a contrived team, often chosen because of the politics of getting revenue from fielding players from the biggest clubs and how myopic and inept the buffoons are that run the FA - it’s Palace over England every time.

Of course I’m pig sick that England did not make the final, but I would swop an England World Cup or Euro’s title for Palace even getting into Europe to play one game, let alone actually win a title.

Very proud of all the England internationals we have had, I even travelled to see Kenny Sansom play for England v Scotland, how proud we were back then - and Peter Taylor, Ian Wright, Andy Johnson and the many others - but England can never overtake Palace for importance - it is a no contest as far as I’m concerned.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
I give not a shit about Eng-er-land. Palace all the way. Besides, I've got Croatia in the sweepstake
Old 12-07-2018, 10:15 AM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
The most gutted I have ever been in football is following Palace. If you want the 2 specific times then it was after Claridges shin in 1996 and the day after the cup final in 2016. Devastation.

This is also a bad time, and I think to be fair, conversely if we had won then I would definitely place England in a WC final up there as a top football experience in my life, the potential is so unfulfilled with the national team you just get accustomed to going out in tournaments before finals. But it's more of a shared responsibility with England, there are 50 million odd English fans and a hell of a lot fewer Palace, it hurts now no question but there have been times with Palace that have hurt more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 12-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Lone Coyote

Steve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm such an amazing Palace fan, I don't even care about my country at all

That's what this thread is really inspired by.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Phoenix View Post

It really is not. You cannot fake passion. You either feel it or not.

A number of people, myself included, simply cannot muster anywhere near the same passion for England that they have for Palace.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I give not a shit about Eng-er-land. Palace all the way. Besides, I've got Croatia in the sweepstake
I have France so I hope you are left crying on Sunday night.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Banned by Moderators

Lombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is here
Palace shaded it when it came to dealing with defeat...palace defeats hurt more....but over the last six years of watching England squads of overhyped players the hurt for England defeats lessened to such a degree I didn't care anywhere near as much. Let my guard down in the past couple of weeks partly because of the hype because in truth we haven't really improved. Only really dominant performance was Sweden. Southgate has shown he is only adequate as a manager...he doesn't know how to revive the team when struggling...too many Spurs players.....serial bottlers ....in squad. O for a Will. Therein lies the problem and why I care less. We call know if he was at United Chelsea or Arsenal he would have been selected regularly years ago. RLC got in England squad based on what exactly that was better than Townsend? He belongs to Chelsea
Old 12-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Pete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is here
I no longer 'support' England. I know that some people on here find that personally offensive but its the truth. I don't think any of us are obliged to follow a particular sport or the people who are picked to 'represent' us.

But I used to support them, see them play etc so what changed? The Premier league ruined english football. Its really that simple. It explains the otherwise inexplicable lack of talent in England teams since the early 1990's. I remember the last England WC semi final - where we had players like Beardsely, Waddle, Barnes and Gascoigne. We don't produce those players any more. Instead we're left with average talent playing for the big clubs alongside creative players developed in other countries. These players (there's no need to list them is there?) develop over inflated opinions about their ability because they dominate smaller teams each week but put them together in a team and they're no good.

And this England team was no different. Want to see how good Sterling is when not surrounded by Man City players? Alli (or Kane) without Son or Erikson behind him? Henderson without Salah and Firmino? Rashford minus Pogda or Mata? Southgate plays each of them slightly out of position or out of the context within which they performed for their clubs and the first half decent team they play beats them fairly comfortably.

So the PL killed English football and the FA, in the way they consistently select from and support the big clubs, are complicit in it. And worse - they had a chance to select a player in Zaha who out plays most of the England team whilst playing for Crystal Palace, who doesn't need De bruyne to win a game or score a goal and they ******* blew it. Southgate, Allardyce, Hodgson selected from the same pool of 30 players.

Nothing really changed between Iceland and Croatia. The same attacking players pigeon holled into slightly odd positions in order to accomodate one another but without anyone actually having an idea about how to control and win the game. Everyone is talking about England's bright future but in all likelyhood last night was England's big chance and it won't come along again unless an English Messi happens to be born close to a big club youth acadamy (but not Chelsea's since they will only loan him out each season to get kicked around league two, or Man Utd under Mourinho since he won't play a player to develop for tomorrow if it costs a point today).

Last edited by Pete79; 12-07-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:44 AM
hey, its just an opinion

the digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Palace is life, England is like a holiday from it.

We invest emotionally in Palace every day of every week of every year. We ride the highs and roll with the lows. We dream of success and dread failure, cheer wins and mourn defeats.

I don't want to do that with England. I'm quite happy to join the rest of the country in having some unreal expectations every 2/4 years and going back to work the next day.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 AM
South Croydon's Finest

RCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is hereRCUK Sam the man is here
A lot more than pre world cup, prob due to the ego's going and having a team and manager who seem to give a damn.

www.silverbirchhealthcare.co.uk
Providing elderly care in Dartford, Croydon, Bromley and the surrounding areas.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:

No, as I said, it’s inspired by the same discussion happening on the match thread. Don’t be a twat.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Watched the game with my son, at the end he was disappointed, then he said "well, at least it wasn't Palace" and cheered up.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

That sums me up exactly.

This sums you up exactly...

Hth.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
A lot more than pre world cup, prob due to the ego's going and having a team and manager who seem to give a damn.
Agree. Whatever else, it feels like they are playing with feeling and respect the supporters for what they give to the team. Putting aside all the football and technical discussions, one of the best things to come out of this WC is that reconnection. It even got an old England cynic like me.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
I love watching England. It’s like Palace plus. I get to watch a team I support but without the elbow gnawing anxiety I get from Palace. It’s more, sort of, fun. I’m not sure I’ve ever enjoyed watching one Palace game.

Not keen on some of the arseholes England attracts but I must say I’ve enjoyed the last few weeks with people in the office who’ve never shown any interest whatsoever in football, wanting to discuss Gareth’s wing back selections with me. On the whole, It’s brought out a nice patriotic Englishness that Tommy Robinson would loathe.

I am sad we’re out. And as for the hating the England team, it doesn’t make you sound all suave and metropolitan. It makes you sound like sneering Man U or Chelsea fans.

It’s been a great World Cup.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Banned by Moderators

Lombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete79 View Post
I no longer 'support' England. I know that some people on here find that personally offensive but its the truth. I don't think any of us are obliged to follow a particular sport or the people who are picked to 'represent' us.

But I used to support them, see them play etc so what changed? The Premier league ruined english football. Its really that simple. It explains the otherwise inexplicable lack of talent in England teams since the early 1990's. I remember the last England WC semi final - where we had players like Beardsely, Waddle, Barnes and Gascoigne. We don't produce those players any more. Instead we're left with average talent playing for the big clubs alongside creative players developed in other countries. These players (there's no need to list them is there?) develop over inflated opinions about their ability because they dominate smaller teams each week but put them together in a team and they're no good.

And this England team was no different. Want to see how good Sterling is when not surrounded by Man City players? Alli (or Kane) without Son or Erikson behind him? Henderson without Salah and Firmino? Rashford minus Pogda or Mata? Southgate plays each of them slightly out of position or out of the context within which they performed for their clubs and the first half decent team they play beats them fairly comfortably.

So the PL killed English football and the FA, in the way they consistently select from and support the big clubs, are complicit in it. And worse - they had a chance to select a player in Zaha who out plays most of the England team whilst playing for Crystal Palace, who doesn't need De bruyne to win a game or score a goal and they ******* blew it. Southgate, Allardyce, Hodgson selected from the same pool of 30 players.

Nothing really changed between Iceland and Croatia. The same attacking players pigeon holled into slightly odd positions in order to accomodate one another but without anyone actually having an idea about how to control and win the game. Everyone is talking about England's bright future but in all likelyhood last night was England's big chance and it won't come along again unless an English Messi happens to be born close to a big club youth acadamy (but not Chelsea's since they will only loan him out each season to get kicked around league two, or Man Utd under Mourinho since he won't play a player to develop for tomorrow if it costs a point today).
Can't think of anything to disagree with...probs because it is what Ive said many times. I did however get excited briefly but think it was down to the usual inflated media OTT hype
Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbiggus mickus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Palace always first and by a long way.

Where is that bloody list ?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 AM
techno sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete79 View Post
And this England team was no different. Want to see how good Sterling is when not surrounded by Man City players? Alli (or Kane) without Son or Erikson behind him? Henderson without Salah and Firmino? Rashford minus Pogda or Mata? Southgate plays each of them slightly out of position or out of the context within which they performed for their clubs and the first half decent team they play beats them fairly comfortably. .
Is that not true to a large extent though with star players who play for other national teams?