Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 25-05-2020, 09:30 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Some people went straight to Selhurst after the first game to queue for replay tickets.

a) did they actually stay for the duration until they were seen to?
b) when did tickets actually go on sale? (I'm guessing on the Monday)
c) did some folks think it was a great idea and then duck out when it got to 11pm on that Saturday night and call it a day and eventually come back later for the tickets?
I queued all night for the first game. Got my ticket from being a Lifeline Member - from the start I hasten to add - as I couldn't afford a season ticket back then. Got back from Wembley and joined the queue all night again for the replay, on sale the next day. Managed to get a ticket for my brother too. A few hundred swarmed out of Crystals around 3.00am and went straight to the front, where some mates had apparently been 'keeping their places' . Queue had grown significantly by morning. The vegetation around the carpark never really survived the double onslaught.

The eventual anti-climax was a real downer.
Old 25-05-2020, 09:50 AM
Banned by Moderators

twilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gark Moldberg View Post
Although we were roundly criticised for our style of play that evening, I'm sure that the Mancs actully conceded more free kicks.
It was annoying that Palace got the blame (unjustifiably) for the physicality if that game. It was again big club bias.

If you watch it closely there were loads of off the ball incidents by man utd...

...and the TV showed where the foul on Thommo was, well the dents in the grass and white lines did. In the penalty area.
Old 25-05-2020, 09:52 AM
Banned by Moderators

twilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettwilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The yellow and black kit was suggested by Geoid Thomas who had played for a team that wore it and never lost....... Tempted fate!

There was a version of it with plain yellow top and massive eagle shadow/faded into fabric. That was pretty nice.
Old 25-05-2020, 11:00 AM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilly View Post
The yellow and black kit was suggested by Geoid Thomas who had played for a team that wore it and never lost....... Tempted fate!

There was a version of it with plain yellow top and massive eagle shadow/faded into fabric. That was pretty nice.
Never trust a man called Geoid!
Old 25-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilly View Post
It was annoying that Palace got the blame (unjustifiably) for the physicality if that game. It was again big club bias.

If you watch it closely there were loads of off the ball incidents by man utd...

...and the TV showed where the foul on Thommo was, well the dents in the grass and white lines did. In the penalty area.

Foul count was 16-16. Enough said there

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 25-05-2020, 01:14 PM
broke my sacrophiliac

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernsouler View Post
a) People started queuing soon after the match finished, Those who could not get to Wembley. They all stayed overnight.
b) Sunday around 10am
c) I got there around 5am and it was packed.

For the first game got in the que around 5am and got served after 2pm, For the replay we got served by around 11am.
Was it this game or the ZDS when the wardens had ticketed everyone who had parked wheels on the footpath on Park Road?
Old 25-05-2020, 05:29 PM

Lindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I knew I was playing cricket at Kingswood in the afternoon but I still queued for tickets after arriving at 7.00 am and got back to play with some ease. Never a doubt in my mind!
The match itself had totally different atmosphere and was more aggressive on and off the field. There is a grudge feel about playing United which persists to this day.
Old 25-05-2020, 05:50 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Never trust a man called Geoid!
Oops. whoever does the spell checker on Huawei phones needs shooting....

Or shitting or shouting
Old 25-05-2020, 06:45 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Some people went straight to Selhurst after the first game to queue for replay tickets.

a) did they actually stay for the duration until they were seen to?
b) when did tickets actually go on sale? (I'm guessing on the Monday)
c) did some folks think it was a great idea and then duck out when it got to 11pm on that Saturday night and call it a day and eventually come back later for the tickets?
After going home from Wembley to eat, me my brother and mates went to Selhurst and started queuing in the car park at around 8pm or 9pm. The queue overnight snaked right around the Sainsbury’s car park and I think there was at least a couple of hundred who went right through the night.

It was a great night of good humour with a kick about on the pitch at one point. Got no sleep whatsoever. Some had turned up with sleeping bags but most didn’t.

For some reason, John Pemberton’s family turned up at the cab office by the club shop late in the evening, and I had a long chat with his mum. She told me to my shock that John was not happy at Palace and was looking to leave that summer. Even though it was coming from his mum, I didn’t quite believe it as I’d heard no rumblings about him being unsettled, but sure enough, he was sold to Sheff Utd a few weeks later.

Seem to recall Ron Noades turning up at about 9 ish and the tickets going on sale at about 10am, but can’t be totally sure. I don’t recall many fans ducking out through the night. You just pitched up in the queue and that was your space. Many moved about through the night but kept their space by leaving coats and bags in their place. Remember at one point at about 4am I was freezing and went to warm up in my brother’s motor in the car park.

Got photos somewhere of the queue. Will have to fish them out.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 25-05-2020, 07:40 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I drove from Kent to the ground at about 7.30AM but all the link machines were down so had to pop around my dads back in Kent to borrow some cash. I got to the ground at about 9.30 and the queue was in Whitehorse Lane. It snaked a few times around what is now the car park and the toilets in the Glaziers Bar were open for comfort breaks. I recall getting to where the tickets were being sold at the corner of the Main Stand and Holmesdale at about 3 or 4. So not so bad in the end.
Old 26-05-2020, 07:42 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
It snaked a few times around what is now the car park .
Trying to recall what was there at that time. Was it just empty waste ground?

Old 26-05-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Got photos somewhere of the queue. Will have to fish them out.

Glad I asked these questions now. Got some great stories about the replay ticket queues!

Would love to see the photos you mentioned

Old 26-05-2020, 08:32 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Trying to recall what was there at that time. Was it just empty waste ground?
The Sainsbury's car park now was already the Sainsbury's car park then.

I remember for the (Saturday game) Cup Final tickets I was in the 3rd group, so was a bit unsure whether there would be any left by then. I got to the queue just before midnight, and there were probably 40-50 people in front of me at that time. The queue started at roughly where the new gates are and went back from there. It was feckin' cold, and someone went into the ground and grabbed an advertising hoarding, and broke it up and used it for firewood in a Sainsbury's trolley. A few of us also went onto the pitch and had a kickabout, as someone else already mentioned. From memory there was a great spirit in the people in the queue, everyone chatting to each other etc. The best ticket I could get was a seat behind the goal and up fairly high, but that didn't matter - was just thrilled to get one.

For the replay I got there a bit earlier, probably 9-10pm, and was quite a bit further back from the front; there were a couple of hundred in front of me. The spirit of the first queue was gone though, no doubt people were still dealing with the disappointment from earlier in the day. I got a much better ticket for the Replay, a bit to the left of the Royal Box as you looked from the pitch, but I'd have happily swapped that and sat behind the goal again for the result to be reversed.