Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 31-05-2018, 11:29 AM
YOU SAY THAT YOU LOVE ME

vegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Projector

Can anybody in the know help?

Iíve set up a projector in my front room, are there any hdmi spitters available?

At present when I want to watch the projector I have to manually swap the projector HDMI lead with the hdmi going to the TV in the back of my sky box.

The only splitters I have found need go into the tv which I canít do as the leads have been run behind the wall, so I need one that will be placed in my sky box.

Thankyou
Old 31-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Keeping the peace

Goldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Does your projector support wireless HDMI streaming? The transmitter acts as a HDMI router so you can send the signal to the TV or the projector.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 31-05-2018, 12:10 PM
YOU SAY THAT YOU LOVE ME

vegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietvegas78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Itís the Epsom EB-1925w
I donít think it does mate
Old 31-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Formerly Oxted Eagle

igl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineigl : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Not sure I understand... surely the HDMI splitter will go into the Sky box if it goes into the TV?
Old 31-05-2018, 12:27 PM
YOU SAY THAT YOU LOVE ME

The splitter I bought only works if you place in the back of the tv, taking a feed from
the projector and sky box . It doesnít work when placed in the back of the sky box on its own.
Old 31-05-2018, 01:25 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
There's a splitter in there somewhere!

I must admit to being a bit puzzled as well with the method? The projector is a 'dumb' item and needs to be fed from the Sky box to work in the same way that the TV does to show the Sky channels. This just means that the output from the sky box needs to be switched/split between the TV and the projector as required fed from the Sky box. There will be one lead from the Sky box HDMI output to the splitter and the splitter will have two HDMI outputs on the other end one will connect to the TV and the other lead to the projector. The one I have is a mains powered device connected to a Minix Android box output and feeds the TV and projector simultaneously although the sound passes through a Yamaha AV amp and speakers for the projector. Apologies for the basic stuff but it is really just splitting the feed coming out of the box producing the picture signals (not the TV). The problem is that often the splitters are poor quality or just don't work. I tried a couple of passive manual switches before buying the mains powered one which works fine. I have to say I have Virgin and never had Sky so I don't know if the Sky box has any issues or restrictions with splitters in the chain?
Old 31-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Keeping the peace

Goldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
a HDMI splitter is usually one way only. So it is generally useful where you have two inputs into a tv with only one HDMI socket. What the op wants is a two way HDMI output. when I was looking at these they are about but they're mains powered.
Old 31-05-2018, 09:04 PM
YOU SAY THAT YOU LOVE ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg Basher View Post
a HDMI splitter is usually one way only. So it is generally useful where you have two inputs into a tv with only one HDMI socket. What the op wants is a two way HDMI output. when I was looking at these they are about but they're mains powered.
Found one, yeah mains powered. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 16-07-2018, 03:07 AM

Madden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Can anyone recommend a 4K projector?
Old 17-07-2018, 03:05 PM

hdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The important factor when choosing a projector is choosing one with a high lumens rating in its bulb

My projector is an Acer and because of its powerful bulb you can use it in daylight and do not need a darkened room.

The cost of replacement bulbs should also be taken into consideration as some are very expensive.

Youtube has plenty of projector reviews
Old 08-01-2019, 12:03 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I'm looking at possibly entering the projector world and want a starter one to get me going. Don't want to spend a huge amount as it will just be from the bedroom initially. We currently have a tv bed which houses a 32" tv but we want to get another bed (non tv) and the idea was to have a projector. My question is, can you position a projector anywhere in the room and adjust the throw to the wall to the screen size you wish or is it basically pre-set by the projector?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
I'm looking at possibly entering the projector world and want a starter one to get me going. Don't want to spend a huge amount as it will just be from the bedroom initially. We currently have a tv bed which houses a 32" tv but we want to get another bed (non tv) and the idea was to have a projector. My question is, can you position a projector anywhere in the room and adjust the throw to the wall to the screen size you wish or is it basically pre-set by the projector?
It depends on the projector on what adjustment it allows but most will account for zoom/focus and keystone vertical positioning correction and some maybe horizontal correction. Its fair to say that the best position for a projector is in line with the screen and on the same level i.e. projecting straight at it.

Obviously sitting a projector in the middle of the room at five foot off the floor is not ideal so the makers usually account for the projector to be ceiling mounted or sat on a coffee table in line with the screen. If you mount it this way then firing the picture at the screen will cause the top or bottom of the picture to narrow or widen on the screen. The solution is to use Keystone or lens shift correction to bring the picture back to its rectangular format. I believe some makes may have an ability to correct the picture to some extent when the projector is placed to the side (lens shift?) but I don't believe its that common as the usual solution is to ceiling mount in line with the screen (the picture can be inverted on projectors for ceiling mounting). I'm not sure placing the projector say in a corner at the back of the room would be ideal but until I could look into it further wouldn't say it was impossible?
Old 08-01-2019, 04:01 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN1 View Post
It depends on the projector on what adjustment it allows but most will account for zoom/focus and keystone vertical positioning correction and some maybe horizontal correction. Its fair to say that the best position for a projector is in line with the screen and on the same level i.e. projecting straight at it.

Obviously sitting a projector in the middle of the room at five foot off the floor is not ideal so the makers usually account for the projector to be ceiling mounted or sat on a coffee table in line with the screen. If you mount it this way then firing the picture at the screen will cause the top or bottom of the picture to narrow or widen on the screen. The solution is to use Keystone or lens shift correction to bring the picture back to its rectangular format. I believe some makes may have an ability to correct the picture to some extent when the projector is placed to the side (lens shift?) but I don't believe its that common as the usual solution is to ceiling mount in line with the screen (the picture can be inverted on projectors for ceiling mounting). I'm not sure placing the projector say in a corner at the back of the room would be ideal but until I could look into it further wouldn't say it was impossible?
Thanks for your help. Very insightful. I know nothing about projectors so only just starting to red up. Our issue is, we ideally want it to sit on the back of the head board and project to the wall in front of us, some 10-12 feet. I have no idea if that is possible hence why I wondered if you could zoom in and out to compensate for walls further away, or closer.

I've looked on Amazon and there is tons of options with lots of spec ranging from £50 to thousands. I really just want it to plug my firestick in and use it for an hour or so at night time so it doesn't need to be all singing and dancing.

Last edited by andyocpfc; 08-01-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help. Very insightful. I know nothing about projectors so only just starting to red up. Our issue is, we ideally want it to sit on the back of the head board and project to the wall in front of us, some 10-12 feet. I have no idea if that is possible hence why I wondered if you could zoom in and out to compensate for walls further away, or closer.

I've looked on Amazon and there is tons of options with lots of spec ranging from £50 to thousands. I really just want it to plug my firestick in and use it for an hour or so at night time so it doesn't need to be all singing and dancing.
Most projectors have an ability to zoom but are often limited in how much they can do. This means that a full size projector like an Optoma at twelve feet may struggle to produce a small enough picture to fit in a limited space on a wall say only three or four feet high? There are 'throw' charts available for most projectors and if you know what the projector is these sites can show you (search for the projector, click on it then click on 'throw distance down the details list and adjust the measurements to suit)

The cheaper projectors at £50 plus are usually travel projectors and often battery powered these usually compromise in brightness and picture quality but may be less intrusive than (semi) permanently mounting a full size projector above you somewhere. I don't have any experience of these portable ones although was interested in getting a Lenovo Yoga tablet that had a projector built in a while back (but never bought).
Old 08-01-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Most projectors have an ability to zoom but are often limited in how much they can do. This means that a full size projector like an Optoma at twelve feet may struggle to produce a small enough picture to fit in a limited space on a wall say only three or four feet high? There are 'throw' charts available for most projectors and if you know what the projector is these sites can show you (search for the projector, click on it then click on 'throw distance down the details list and adjust the measurements to suit)

The cheaper projectors at £50 plus are usually travel projectors and often battery powered these usually compromise in brightness and picture quality but may be less intrusive than (semi) permanently mounting a full size projector above you somewhere. I don't have any experience of these portable ones although was interested in getting a Lenovo Yoga tablet that had a projector built in a while back (but never bought).
I certainly like the idea of a portable size one, given the space available but one that is mains powered and not battery. I'll have a bit more of a read up and see. TBH, given some of the ridiculously low prices and what I want to use it for, it's probably worth me just going for a cheap one at start until i understand it all and the I cam progress onto something more sophisticated (and more expensive!). This is the one I looked at and liked the look of. The picture doesn't give the model being described but if you scroll down to customer ratings people have uploaded videos and the ones with firestick are exactly what I want TBH. Just don't think you can zoom to a certain size from a certain distance with those (although I could be wrong). Neat bit of kit for the price though.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I certainly like the idea of a portable size one, given the space available but one that is mains powered and not battery. I'll have a bit more of a read up and see. TBH, given some of the ridiculously low prices and what I want to use it for, it's probably worth me just going for a cheap one at start until i understand it all and the I cam progress onto something more sophisticated (and more expensive!). This is the one I looked at and liked the look of. The picture doesn't give the model being described but if you scroll down to customer ratings people have uploaded videos and the ones with firestick are exactly what I want TBH. Just don't think you can zoom to a certain size from a certain distance with those (although I could be wrong). Neat bit of kit for the price though.

It's certainly a good price and some of the specs are not bad it does have some drawbacks as firstly the contrast ratio isn't great (but is often wildly mis-quoted by various manufacturers) meaning blacks will may not be very deep and also the resolution is only just above standard definition. it's quoted as 1080p ready but is 864 x 480 resolution so the quality won't be that great if projected large. Given that though it may still be a good tester to see if the projector idea works in principle without paying four or five times the price for an equivalent 1080p 'named' budget projector?
Old 08-01-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It's certainly a good price and some of the specs are not bad it does have some drawbacks as firstly the contrast ratio isn't great (but is often wildly mis-quoted by various manufacturers) meaning blacks will may not be very deep and also the resolution is only just above standard definition. it's quoted as 1080p ready but is 864 x 480 resolution so the quality won't be that great if projected large. Given that though it may still be a good tester to see if the projector idea works in principle without paying four or five times the price for an equivalent 1080p 'named' budget projector?

Yes, I think itís a good starting point going budget and working my up from there when Iím more familiar with the setup etc. I did the same with streaming when I knew nothing and came across the Kodi thread on here and bought a cheap £25 box. When I understood it more I moved onto better and more expensive models. If itís not for me, Iíve only wasted under £100 and could probably sell on again. Thanks for all your help and knowledge.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:53 AM

hdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This mains/portable projector has built in Kodi and many other Android Apps including a web browser as it has built in WIFI.

I have not seen the 4K model but do have an older HD one which is an earlier projector and it is very good.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 PM

Ridcully has disabled reputation
Just joined the projector world myself. Have an Optoma and its just fecking brilliant. Watching films or gaming on 2m of wall is just something else...1080p rather than 4k at the moment but its plenty good enough....WOWSERS!
Old 10-01-2019, 06:29 PM

Ridcully has disabled reputation
As for zoom, there's not much wiggle room. I was lucky, didn't do enough sums beforehand and lucked out it being perfect for a 106" screen and having enough wall to use...phew!

Got to also say a good screen is worth its weight too.