Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 29-01-2010, 11:19 AM
T-T-T-T-Techno Boogie

FraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscillateWildly
The vast majority of people use computers to surf the net, send e-mail, online shop, use social networking sites, buy and listen to music and watch videos.

Most don't need spreadsheet software or power point etc.

For uber geeks or people who want a computer for business then this isn't the machine but it does the core things very well.
isn't that what netbooks are for?
Old 29-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Irish blood English Heart

OscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserH
isn't that what netbooks are for?
This does what netbooks do only it does it much, much better. Look at the pricing structure of ipads; they will compete with netbooks (you have to allow for the fact that apple products are always more expensive than their competitors and yet people still buy them.)
“You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks like He rushed it.”

Amid concrete and clay, and general decay, nature must still find a way...
Old 29-01-2010, 11:30 AM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Quote:
This does what netbooks do only it does it much, much better.
now that is properly deranged, I had you pegged as 'with brains'
Old 29-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
This does what netbooks do only it does it much, much better. Look at the pricing structure of ipads; they will compete with netbooks (you have to allow for the fact that apple products are always more expensive than their competitors and yet people still buy them.)
I can't see that. Buy a netbook, or buy a device that gives you much less functionality and is much more restricted, and more expensive.

Oh hang on.....

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/will-swain
Old 29-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie_porter
It looks amazing. But it's pointless for anyone with an iPhone or a laptop.
This.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:35 AM

OscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by paf
now that is properly deranged, I had you pegged as 'with brains'
But it does.

Would anyone with a reaosnable interest in computers buy a netbook? I doubt it.

Netbooks are for the very things that the ipad is designed for. Even with the limitations it still seems a better machine for those tasks.
“You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks like He rushed it.”

Old 29-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
People will buy them because they look great, are well designed and are Apple devices. These same people will probably continue to buy them when there are similar devices available, which are less locked down and less expensive.

Old 29-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Lovely

Quote:
But it does.

Netbooks are for the very things that the ipad is designed for. Even with the limitations it still seems a better machine for those tasks.
What? You want to sit on a train and type out a document on one of these? How? You could use the keyboard dock, but then you just have an expensive netbook.

Business users use Netbooks. I cannot see them moving to the iPad.

Old 29-01-2010, 11:42 AM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Quote:
But it does.

I have a netbook, it's great. Was cheap, under £200, plays all my music and video, and I can install anything I want on it. Hooked it up to a projector in the office just this week too.

Your argument does not stack up, at all.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
But it does.

I'm guessing you have never used a netbook.

On the train I can do everything I can do on my desktop.

The atom processor was a game changer in terms of what low end computers can do.

My netbook cost 149.99 and in the morning on the train I can do pretty much everything I can in the office.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I'm guessing you have never used a netbook.

On the train I can do everything I can do on my desktop.

The atom processor was a game changer in terms of what low end computers can do.

My netbook cost 149.99 and in the morning on the train I can do pretty much everything I can in the office.

What make is it? If it's that good I may get one myself.

Old 29-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Mine is a dell but any recent model of netbook will do the same
Old 29-01-2010, 11:55 AM
T-T-T-T-Techno Boogie

FraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by paf
I have a netbook, it's great. Was cheap, under £200, plays all my music and video, and I can install anything I want on it. Hooked it up to a projector in the office just this week too.

Your argument does not stack up, at all.
exactly, why would you pay double that for an ipad when a netbook does the same and more!
Old 29-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Lovely

Quote:
What make is it? If it's that good I may get one myself.
They all do that.

Old 29-01-2010, 11:57 AM
A Bit Ranty Today!

Scroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
All the major computer manufacturers are developing tablet computers this year, mainly for fear of missing out on what could be the next big thing. That said it might not be, and the firms could end up making very little return on their money if the public don't adopt this new form of computer.

One selling point will be that they are being pushed at the same time as "cloud" computing (god I hate these buzz words) so as Oscillate touches on, they might not come with software such as an office suite, or e-mail program, but being primarily intended for web use, people who need these functions can use Google Docs/Mail or other online applications. You wont even need to use memory space because everything's saved online.

Google are developing an OS based on Chrome, their browser, with the plan being that you turn on your tablet, netbook, laptop, or even PC and all you have is something that resembles a web browser - you do absolutely everything within that. It's the future
Old 29-01-2010, 12:03 PM
snootchie bootchies

anyone who thinks a giant ipod touch with a keyboard shoved in it's arse is going to be better than a netbook, is a mental.

Old 29-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paf
anyone who thinks a giant ipod touch with a keyboard shoved in it's arse is going to be better than a netbook, is a mental.

The in screen keyboard is fine for e-mailing and surfing; it's only document writing that you may need the external keyboard.

This won't be anyone's only computer so I can't see that this will be a problem.

Old 29-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Never though I would ever agree with Hitler

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I know its a rework of an old clip but made me laugh

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 29-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle
They all do that.
well, older models will struggle
Old 29-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
well, older models will struggle
Yup. I meant more recent ones. Contemporaries of the iPad if you will.