Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 10-02-2019, 05:06 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Wuthering Heights.

Wow!
Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
All you good good people - Embrace

Be my light, be my guide - Gene
Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM

twilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Interesting nobodyís gone for the original British punk acts - New Rose, Anarchy in the U.K. and even White Riot must deserve a mention?
Alison by Elvis Costello is another corker.
Yes actually some rich pickings from that era.

Despite being a massive Clash fan, White Riot aint one of faourites of theirs, but going for a couple during that time I would say;

Oh bondgae up yours - X Ray Spex
Hong Kong Garden - Sioux and the Banshees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post

Despite being a massive Clash fan, White Riot aint one of faourites of theirs, but going for a couple during that time I would say;

white riot did have the fantastic b side

From that era -

Buzzcocks/Spiral Scratch - all the better for devoto on vocals

Killjoys/Johhny wont get to heaven - better than that dexys stuff rowland went on to

Adverts/One Chord Wonders, epitomising/deriding punk as all the young dudes/mott-bowie and teeny bopper band/catapult did glam

Eater/Outside View - cute bass line and 'benefitting' (maybe) from one time Pistols producer Dave Goodman's involvement. If anyone wonders why the pistols wanna be me sounds a bit different, DG is why

Maniacs/Chelsea 77

Boys/i dont care (everyone normally likes first time but good at it is, its a bit slow, I dont care isnt!
Old 12-02-2019, 11:12 AM
A source of real news

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Teenage Kicks. The undertones.

Don’t even think of disagreeing with me.
Funnily enough been playing that lately, very easy to play on uke.

Been using this as a helper.

Calm down ladies, we'll be fine on our own.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM

twilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetwilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
intaferon - get out of london
craze - motions
V2 - man in the box
Old 12-02-2019, 05:01 PM

costello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Stop your sobbing. Pretenders
Relax. Frankie
Virginia Plain. Roxy Music
Less than Zero. Elvis Costello
Old 12-02-2019, 05:06 PM

Sharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSharkba1t came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardo 888 View Post
Here goes.

Sultans of swing by Dire Straights. That is an incredible piece of music which has everything.

Firstly, Fantastic musical composition by Mark Knopfler which was way ahead of itís time. How he dreamt up that brilliance beats me. Add the great guitar playing and that should be enough but then the words are totally brilliant. Add all that up and itís not just the best debut record but the best piece of modern music ever.
Great choice. In fact I loved their first album - after that they turned to utter sh1t.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Bring him back!

Latvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLatvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
MJ Cole - Sincere. (Well, first track to chart under that alias)
Old 13-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilly View Post
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Interesting nobodyís gone for the original British punk acts - New Rose, Anarchy in the U.K. and even White Riot must deserve a mention?
Alison by Elvis Costello is another corker.

white riot did have the fantastic b side

From that era -

Buzzcocks/Spiral Scratch - all the better for devoto on vocals

Killjoys/Johhny wont get to heaven - better than that dexys stuff rowland went on to

Adverts/One Chord Wonders, epitomising/deriding punk as all the young dudes/mott-bowie and teeny bopper band/catapult did glam

Eater/Outside View
- cute bass line and 'benefitting' (maybe) from one time Pistols producer Dave Goodman's involvement. If anyone wonders why the pistols wanna be me sounds a bit different, DG is why

Maniacs/Chelsea 77

Boys/i dont care (everyone normally likes first time but good at it is, its a bit slow, I dont care isnt!
I saw Eater once in 1977 but really don't remember much about that gig at all.

Outside View was, I think, the third UK punk 7" release (you could count them in those days).

I didn't really listen to that song until about ten years ago, and I'm glad I did. It's wonderful, strangely poignant.
Old 13-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Salad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
Oasis Supersonic and Suede The Drowners. Seconded, thirded etc.

Honourable mentions to The Smiths Hand in glove, Aha Take on me, James What's the world (Jim one) as well.
This just goes to show what a stupid thread idea this is.

The Smith's Hand in Glove is the weakest out of the three singles on their debut album. Drowners is the weakest single out of the three on Suede's debut album.

Bands, all of whom get signed off the back of the same material that appears on their debut albums, are calculating about the order in which they release their initial singles. The Smiths and Suede decided they would build slowly by keeping back their best singles (This Charming Man and Animal Nitrate, respectively). The Spice girls and Kate Bush on the other hand decided they would go all out and release as debuts their best songs.

In fact you could probably pair up the Spice Girls and Dire Straits because both of these made their debut singles songs that introduced them to the world. It worked out for The Spice Girls; for Dire Straits it was cheesy, and they were never credible, afterwards.
Old 14-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Wort View Post
I saw Eater once in 1977 but really don't remember much about that gig at all.

Outside View was, I think, the third UK punk 7" release (you could count them in those days).

I didn't really listen to that song until about ten years ago, and I'm glad I did. It's wonderful, strangely poignant.

It is, in my opinion, a fantastic record, superb slice of first wave, original UK punk rock at its finest, the b side YOU is also pretty good, as was their (live at the Roxy) version of Alice Coopers 18 changing the lyric to 15 to reflect their ages. A true boy band in that they were (almost boys), played instruments, wrote songs.

Where did you see eater? I used to go the Roxy (first incarnation with Andy Czekcowski as manager) quite a bit... marquee... greyhound croydon, music machine etc etc but I saw eater again with original drummer again at the buzzcocks 30th anniversary gig
Old 14-02-2019, 12:55 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet View Post
This just goes to show what a stupid thread idea this is.

The Smith's Hand in Glove is the weakest out of the three singles on their debut album. Drowners is the weakest single out of the three on Suede's debut album.

Bands, all of whom get signed off the back of the same material that appears on their debut albums, are calculating about the order in which they release their initial singles. The Smiths and Suede decided they would build slowly by keeping back their best singles (This Charming Man and Animal Nitrate, respectively). The Spice girls and Kate Bush on the other hand decided they would go all out and release as debuts their best songs.

In fact you could probably pair up the Spice Girls and Dire Straits because both of these made their debut singles songs that introduced them to the world. It worked out for The Spice Girls; for Dire Straits it was cheesy, and they were never credible, afterwards.
Its H from Steps hello. you idiot

SaulAlinsky
Old 14-02-2019, 01:38 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ8 View Post
Iíll throw in Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
This would be my pick too. Canít remember as much hype around a band who came out of nowhere off the back off one song in my lifetime...imagine Oasisí rise to fame was similar but I was a bit too young.
Old 15-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Recently stumbled across Life Without Buildings - New Town. Itís excellent. Even my kids love it.
Old 15-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
Quote:
It is, in my opinion, a fantastic record, superb slice of first wave, original UK punk rock at its finest, the b side YOU is also pretty good, as was their (live at the Roxy) version of Alice Coopers 18 changing the lyric to 15 to reflect their ages. A true boy band in that they were (almost boys), played instruments, wrote songs.

Where did you see eater? I used to go the Roxy (first incarnation with Andy Czekcowski as manager) quite a bit... marquee... greyhound croydon, music machine etc etc but I saw eater again with original drummer again at the buzzcocks 30th anniversary gig
I saw Eater at the F Club in Leeds, and a quick Google suggests it was 1978 not 77.

I never went to the Roxy but did go to the Greyhound a lot.

Being in Leeds in 1976 enabled me to see Sex Pistols (the first gig after the Grundy debacle).
The F Club had some great nights, but I've forgotten so much!

I'm not sure why or how I overlooked "Outside View" when it came out, and in a way I'm kind of glad I heard it for the first time "fresh", as it were, some 30-odd years later. I think it added to the poignancy.
Old 16-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Salad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is hereSalad_Burnet Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
Its H from Steps hello. you idiot
Your musical preferences point to your being that bloke out of the Lost Prophets, you weirdo.
Old 18-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Wort View Post
I saw Eater at the F Club in Leeds, and a quick Google suggests it was 1978 not 77.

I never went to the Roxy but did go to the Greyhound a lot.

Being in Leeds in 1976 enabled me to see Sex Pistols (the first gig after the Grundy debacle).
The F Club had some great nights, but I've forgotten so much!

I'm not sure why or how I overlooked "Outside View" when it came out, and in a way I'm kind of glad I heard it for the first time "fresh", as it were, some 30-odd years later. I think it added to the poignancy.
The F club?! Wow - that was a bit legendary and infamous. I remember seeing an ad for the F Club with a band called gotham city auto wreckers which i have always liked as a name. As with shagnasty - that used to be painted down in the south almost everywhere - never heard either of those 2 bands output though.

I think Eater were a bit under rated and were dismissed by the elite inner circle too readily. Andy Blades book is a good read by the way, not sure if it is still available. I believe he is a teacher.... Dee Generate is head of social work I think it is for essex and lives in northampton... Ian Woodcock was a salesman and Brian Chevette not sure about
Old 18-02-2019, 12:38 PM

Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Andy Blade is still making (very good) records.
Old 19-02-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's View Post
Andy Blade is still making (very good) records.
yes i think he also did a 'set' at a localish record shop...

dee generate has also drummed for his once caterham band nuffin at a few gigs lately. Nuffin was just prior to him joining eater
Old 20-02-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The F club?! Wow - that was a bit legendary and infamous. I remember seeing an ad for the F Club with a band called gotham city auto wreckers which i have always liked as a name. As with shagnasty - that used to be painted down in the south almost everywhere - never heard either of those 2 bands output though.
I've still got my F Club membership card!
And somewhere, a badge.

The club kept changing venue, starting at a typical northern working men's club in the Headingley/Woodhouse area, then moving to very scary Chapeltown, then into the city centre, where it kind of lost its charm.

I don't remember seeing the Gotham City Auto Wreckers - I wish I had! - though the name does ring a bell.