Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy
I don't think so

I spent ages last night banning the beatles, wings, harrison, lennon, mccartney from my last FM.
Even the Frog Chorus?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM

NathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroniNathanB is the cheese to my macaroni
I think people need to be careful with this remastering as some are getting it confused with remixing.

The albums re-released today have only been remastered from the orginal tapes and therefore in most cases sound very similar to the 1987 CD issues. The location of drums, guitars, vocals in the mix is exactly the same as it is in the 1987 CDs. The only change is that the sound is marginally clearer due to the way it's been digitally transferred. Therefore, everything from Help (1965) through to Let it Be (1970) will, to most people, sound exactly the same as it did on the 1987 CDs as they were all released in stereo then.

The major change (and improvement for me at least) is that A Hard Day's Night & Beatles for Sale are now available in stereo for the first time which reveals a lot of nuances in the music which you can't hear in the mono mixes (e.g. the chugging piano in the chorus of No Reply).

Please, Please Me & With the Beatles (both 1963) are also available in stereo for the first time but since they were using two-track recording for much of these albums, these new releases suffer in comparison to the mono in that drums & rhythm sections are in the left channel, and vocals in the right which just sounds awful with headphones. I will probably continue to keep the mono versions on my mp3 player as the better versions on both of these.

To sum up, I personally feel apart from A Hard Day's Night & Beatles for Sale, it's not worth investing in these new albums unless you're a die hard fan (which I am). I just wish they'd remix them all in the same way they remixed the songs for the 'Love' album as the difference in sound quality on that album made all the songs sound fresher and more modern
Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreditch CPFC
A work collaegue has had these for a few days and he says the difference is absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
How did he manage that? They were not released until today? There were some demo's on Youtube and there have been some people doing their own remastering, but, I would think the security on release of these CDs would have been extremely high.

If nothing, one has to say that the marketing of the Beatles has been outstanding. Considering that the last Beatles recording session(all of them together) was back in 1969 yet, they can still create a huge media buzz and sell potentially millions of the same old recordings 40 years later is pretty amazing.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 PM

doof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedoof : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have the bootleg Dr. Ebbetts versions which are High quality recordings taken from absolute mint original pressings on high quality audio gear. They sound miles better than the CD versions with much more warmth and detail. The difference is these are taken from the original mixes and the CD's are mastered from 2nd generation copies or something like that so some quality is definitely lost.

I'd be interested to hear if these new versions are any better but I would doubt they sound as authentic as the Dr. Ebbetts versions.

All this stuff is very snobby but I would recommend any Beatles fan who is a bit of an audiophile to track down these recordings.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
its true we're red'n'blue

disco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
from amazon

Don't buy if you don't want to spend the money. No-one's forcing you.
I'm in audio/TV myself and can tell you they've almost certainly spent longer in the studio remastering these than they did recording them. It's not like these are free of cost.

And as someone who has listened to all the mono and stereo mixes and even has a dansette to listen to the odd 45 in crackly mono....please shut up about the mono's being definitive and the best sounding. Absolute nonsense. The Beatles didn't attend their mixes much, stereo mixes were done at the time as any of the studio reference books will tell you. Mono didn't sound better it was just the most common format. Now we have proper stereos, the stereo versions (and if the remastered stuff out so far is anything to go by) sound infinitely better.

I've heard so much nonsense on these pages about compression and EQ etc. In fact if we are complaining about anything it should be that they are not making these available as SACD or DVDaudio discs (and yes please for those 5,1 mixes) so we can, at last, hear the full bandwidth. No way are the people at Abbey Road going to do a bad job on something so close to their own hearts.

I went to Abbey Road once and heard the remastered Yellow Submarine on the big speakers. Vinyl, followed by current CD, followed by the remaster. No fool would have chosen anything but the remaster if you were interested in detail, bass, power, realism. The vinyl was ok, the current CD pretty awful and the remaster was eye poppingly good.

If you want to live in a backwards world with everything sucked back into a narrow soundfield, good for you. Perhaps you should also get rid of your freeview and buy a portable black and white TV etc.

The Beatles did not obsess over every detail - they worked far too fast for that - and neither should we.

I look forward to the angry replies but seriously. Just play the things side by side and stop talking nonsense.

im getting confused, the times had a great article today saying the mono mixes were the ones to go for
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM
A Bit Ranty Today!

Scroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Playing my parents original copy of A Hard Days Night as a young boy was my musical awakening...

...after The Seekers single "World of Our Own"
Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 AM

disco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
now zavvi and woolworths are shut where can i pick this up??

all hmvs have sold out, i'll go anywhere within reason, im in se26 wanna get this today
Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Wheelie McWheelface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
When I worked for EMI it was a running joke the way 'we' would churn out more and more Beatles boxed sets, limited editions (limited to anyone who would buy them), 'missing' recordings, remixes, remasters, Christmas specials etc. They have a release schedule for Beatles stuff going forward decades into the future. 'Ooooh goody a new format... let's put it on Bluray....'.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Mate picked it up for me at hmv oxford st, gonna burn them for the ipod as i managed to sell it in minutes over ebay. Couldnt justify the outlay to the missus but wanted to hear this stuff as i dont know alot of the albums
Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Is this 'cos Micheal Jackson is dead?

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/will-swain
Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco mixx kidd
Mate picked it up for me at hmv oxford st, gonna burn them for the ipod as i managed to sell it in minutes over ebay. Couldnt justify the outlay to the missus but wanted to hear this stuff as i dont know alot of the albums
so you rant at people going on about formats and then put them on an iPOD...

SaulAlinsky
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Lossless codec. Where the hell did i rant? That was an amazon quote that i put in! I couldnt care less about formats, just wanted to know what versions to get and their are conflicting messages which i highlighted in the post

Last edited by disco mixx kidd; 10-09-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:55 PM

100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Orpington Tesco had them on sale Monday. Still loads of all of them earlier today.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Been listening allday, thought i might regret mono but it reminds me off my dads big valve radio, vinyl/analogue sound nice and warm, as im ill with flu in bed its perfek
Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Otis McOtis

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One for all the Beatle haters (not me , I hasten to add) To view the link you have to Register or Login

Enjoy Maidstoned !

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here

Lots of sense in the comments there too.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/will-swain
Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco mixx kidd
I went to Abbey Road once and heard the remastered Yellow Submarine on the big speakers. Vinyl, followed by current CD, followed by the remaster. No fool would have chosen anything but the remaster if you were interested in detail, bass, power, realism. The vinyl was ok, the current CD pretty awful and the remaster was eye poppingly good.
Surely even Beatles fans can't listen to Yellow Submarine and think it's "eye-poppingly good"?
Not even if you put ribbons on it.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Remember thats a quote from amazon, not me :-)
Old 13-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila
Surely even Beatles fans can't listen to Yellow Submarine and think it's "eye-poppingly good"?
I'm assuming they are talking about technical sound quality, rather than the songs. Though 'Hey Bulldog' is a great stomper, and I have a soft spot for 'It's All Too Much' - possibly the first ever Madchester song.

I gave my the remastered Abbey Road a listen this morning. Being slightly sad I then compared certain tracks to the original C.D. There is definitely a difference, and not just down to the fact that the remasters are louder: my perception is that the remaster is clearer. However, I'm not sure if the difference is sufficiently great to justify me buying the rest of the remastered catalogue. I have an old separates system comprising fairly entry-level components, so it's not like I've got ten grand of kit picking up every nuance in the mix. Perhaps Abbey Road was the wrong place to start - it could be that difference in sound is more noticeable in the earlier albums. Hmmm.

El Ag, as a man in the trade, what's your view of the whole thing? Is it a big deal in Spain? Are the remasters justified in sonic terms (mono or stereo?), or is this just an elaborate cash-in by E.M.I.?
Old 13-09-2009, 04:48 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila
erm the song that starts its all too much is my fave.

SaulAlinsky