Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-09-2019, 10:32 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant View Post
How very Palace, I hadn't previously appreciated that this famous 5-1 win in 1971, the stuff of folklore, was, ahem, followed by only one more home win the rest of the entire season, the last one of that campaign in 1972. As you were.
sorry to be pedantic, but I'm certain we didn't win our last home game that season.
Old 13-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
Eh? You mean it wasn't the last win of the campaign? Not wishing to be a pedant that is

Last edited by Sleeping Giant; 13-09-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 14-09-2019, 12:10 AM
phase three

Jer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Goals are on
To view the link you have to Register or Login
John Hughes' for 4-0 even better than I remember
Old 14-09-2019, 06:55 AM

cheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Remember that game ,my view from sitting on the wall in the Whitehorse ,
cracking goals .
Old 14-09-2019, 07:25 AM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Goals are on
John Hughes' for 4-0 even better than I remember
Thanks for the link - can't remember seeing those goals before. What a cracker collection: the least of them was a peach and Taylor, McCormack and Hughes each scored eye-watering efforts.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 16-09-2019, 06:41 PM

jjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeagle View Post
And John McCormicks. Stayed in his pub in Cumbernauld back in 1996. Lovely fellow. Lovely pub. Brought back my retro '70's shirt as a little pressie on my second visit. It was too big for him!! Maybe the centre halfs
were not that big back then? (Or l am a fat b------d?)

Anyway, he said he knew it was a goal from the moment he hit it And also
that he knocked a few years off his age when we were enquiring after him. Thank god the internet was not around. Loved him and Mel Blyth back then.
Back in his old pub tonight in Cumbernauld. Dont know if its been posted on the bbs before but the barmaid tells me that John passed in the last couple of years. RIP.
Old 16-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeagle View Post
Back in his old pub tonight in Cumbernauld. Dont know if its been posted on the bbs before but the barmaid tells me that John passed in the last couple of years. RIP.
Thanks for mentioning this.

There is a thread which I missed owing to being offline and far away from the UK around the time he died.

RIP John
Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 PM
Grey Haired

geoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
This match needs a bump for us oldies that were there and will never forget John 'Yogi Bear' Hughes's second goal. 50 years ago today Saturday December 4th 1971. Luckily BBC were there and it was runner up in goal of the season.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:34 PM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepam View Post
Hello guys and girls(may he never be forgotten) Can anyone out there sell me a copy of the Crystal palace 5 Sheffield united 1 game in 1971.I was there ,just a nipper and would happily pay for a copy of it on dvd.If you can get me a copy or know of anyone who can sell me this please please drop me a email to my home email address mikepamreed@yahoo.co.uk .
still remember it - one of the first games i went to
Old 04-12-2021, 04:34 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
And all the Palace goalscorers were Scottish
Old 04-12-2021, 04:35 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffh View Post
This match needs a bump for us oldies that were there and will never forget John 'Yogi Bear' Hughes's second goal. 50 years ago today Saturday December 4th 1971. Luckily BBC were there and it was runner up in goal of the season.
His first goal in the game was special too.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:35 PM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
In my memory it snowed that day.

But my memory is rubbish.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:49 PM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobham Eagle View Post
40 years ago today. Almost impossible to believe!
That bit for sure. Well 50, the "only one win at home rest of the season" after this "new beginning" result. Ahem.

Last edited by Sleeping Giant; 04-12-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 PM

CPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperCPFC_ARMY has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
Footage on the Palace Facebook:

Enjoy!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:23 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC_ARMY View Post
Footage on the Palace Facebook:

Enjoy!
Must have been playing by candlelight!

So sad that so many of those players have now passed on.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:23 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
I must have been there, but don't remember a damn thing about it.... bugger!! I doubt I would have been drinking either as was 16YO.

Great to see footage of John Hughes though. What an exciting player he was to actually witness.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 PM

Lingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember that game so well, that goal from Yogi was one of the best goals I've ever seen down at Selhurst.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:32 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingfield Eagle View Post
I remember that game so well, that goal from Yogi was one of the best goals I've ever seen down at Selhurst.
John McCormick's wasn't bad either, but for some reason everyone remembers Yogi's better (me included).
Old 05-12-2021, 11:18 AM
Natus Londini ad austrum

Aquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
John McCormick's wasn't bad either, but for some reason everyone remembers Yogi's better (me included).
That game's hard coded in my memory too... I think Yogi's goal has greater memory pull partly because it ended up being Goal of the Season
Old 05-12-2021, 11:42 AM

cheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Remember that game like it was yesterday , One of my favourite palace goals of the 70s , Having the best view sitting on the wall in the Whitehorse .