Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 23-05-2020, 03:19 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Scarfer View Post
Schedule when pronounced Sked-yool. I've not renewed the contract for someone who was doing freelance social media work for my company. There were a number of reasons for this, but one of the main ones was her inability to pronounce schedule correctly! It really grated on me everytime she mentions scheduling content.
Is that not how Americans say it?

It's one of those words I've had to learn to say different, same with vitamin.

It's to the point now where I confuse myself which is which.
Old 23-05-2020, 03:46 PM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Is that not how Americans say it?

It's one of those words I've had to learn to say different, same with vitamin.

It's to the point now where I confuse myself which is which.
I wouldn't change to their ways, they are *******, look how they say oregano and route.
Old 23-05-2020, 03:47 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian View Post
'Likely' has now been used to replace 'probably' all the time. Never reads as well or sounds correct to me.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Explains that a bit more concisely.
Thanks for the link.

I used to find the use of "likely" as an adverb annoying, but have managed to persuade myself that it doesn't actually matter. I still use "probably" instead, but if someone does not in front of me I no longer feel the urge to peel their face off.
Old 23-05-2020, 04:15 PM
Gina Lollobrigida

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Scarfer View Post
Schedule when pronounced Sked-yool.
After years of conference calls with the US I caught myself using 'Sked-yool' some of the time, to my horror.
Old 23-05-2020, 04:20 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
I wouldn't change to their ways, they are *******, look how they say oregano and route.
And how the English say "Fajita"...
Old 23-05-2020, 04:25 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
And how the English say "Fajita"...
"Vadge eater" is how it is pronounced in both Texico and the UK.

Also, you lot don't even know how to spell "swede" or "rocket" or "coriander" or "courgette" or "aubergine" - all beautiful, beautiful English words.
Old 23-05-2020, 04:45 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD View Post
Agreed, the question actually was where on the map is the Kennedy Space Center? Clue - its nearest city is Orlando.
Aaah that makes sense now...

you led me astray you little tinker....

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 23-05-2020, 06:11 PM
Bring him back!

Latvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Thanks for the link.

I used to find the use of "likely" as an adverb annoying, but have managed to persuade myself that it doesn't actually matter. I still use "probably" instead, but if someone does not in front of me I no longer feel the urge to peel their face off.
I still cringe when folks use it. Probable that will become a thing of the past one day.
Old 23-05-2020, 06:39 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:

Also, you lot don't even know how to spell "swede" or "rocket" or "coriander" or "courgette" or "aubergine" - all beautiful, beautiful English words.
I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here as someone born in Croydon and growing up in Bromley, but can any English person justify the English pronunciation of Greenwich, Norwich, Thames, and my favo(u)rite - Worcestershire?

Greenwich is an interesting one, and American's pronounce it the same as the English when talking about the place Greenwich Village in New York.

A while back I was trying to teach my wife to say Worcestershire, and buy the time I'd finished even I couldn't say it.
Old 23-05-2020, 06:50 PM
jft39

English people can't agree on the pronunciation of Greenwich (which of course should be "grinnidj").

Try to teach you wife about the pronunciation of "Cholmondley" or "Featherstonehaugh" or "Belvoir" or "Mildenhall" (the Wiltshire village as opposed to the Suffolk airbase place).
Old 23-05-2020, 06:59 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
"Featherstonehaugh" or "Belvoir" or "Mildenhall" (the Wiltshire village as opposed to the Suffolk airbase place).
Someone will have to teach me first...
Old 23-05-2020, 07:03 PM

GorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
English people can't agree on the pronunciation of Greenwich (which of course should be "grinnidj").

Try to teach you wife about the pronunciation of "Cholmondley" or "Featherstonehaugh" or "Belvoir" or "Mildenhall" (the Wiltshire village as opposed to the Suffolk airbase place).
Trottiscliffe has got to be the most ridiculous spelling of something that is pronounced completely differently.

Kent wankers.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:04 PM

kabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is here
Quote:

Très bon!
Old 23-05-2020, 07:06 PM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Or St John when used as a Christian name. I thought they were taking the piss when they said their name was pronounced sinjin.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:

I know a Featherstonehaugh. What fun she has.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 23-05-2020, 07:25 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
If we’re branching out from just words that annoy us to pronunciations of words that annoy us, pretty much anyone outside the UK trying to pronounce Leicester or Worcester is mildly infuriating.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:42 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
If we’re branching out from just words that annoy us to pronunciations of words that annoy us, pretty much anyone outside the UK trying to pronounce Leicester or Worcester is mildly infuriating.
I don't mind that - I think it's perfectly understandable.

What really boils my piss is foreigns abbreviating tube station names, eg "How do I get to Leicester/Tottenham/Oxford?" I was always tempted to direct them to the appropriate mainline tube station but as I am a thoroughly good egg I feigned ignorance instead (which I find incredibly easy to do).
Old 23-05-2020, 07:47 PM
jft39

Quote:
Someone will have to teach me first...
I'm no good at phonetic spelling, but they go something like:

Chum-lee

Fan-shaw

Bee-ver

My-nul
Old 23-05-2020, 08:01 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:

Chum-lee

Fan-shaw

Bee-ver

My-nul
I see what you mean!

There's some doozies there.
Old 23-05-2020, 08:12 PM

kabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is here
Quote:

Chum-lee

Fan-shaw

Bee-ver

My-nul
I see how you've split Chum-lee, Fan-shaw ...