Notices

Away Fans End The away fans end

View Poll Results: ...
Brighton 50 4.84%
lol 982 95.16%
Voters: 1032. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2017, 10:37 PM
and Sainsbury's

wehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
I'm not confident that a pitch invasion is likely. It's not a football town.
To view the link you have to Register or Login

And you'd know all about being a football town? I dont doubt youre one of the hardcore diehards SC but you're now only full because of plastics/new fans attracted by PL football

You're an athletics suburb
Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
I've never disputed that our gate in the top flight is bolstered by plastics, tourists & arguably the most annoying of these which is the fair weather fan. Fresh from continually boring his missus to tears as she served him tea in his armchair whilst he ranted his nonsense at Sky Sports, a return to premier league football sees his return to the match & he thinks we want to listen to his expert opinion and criticism on tactics etc.
The only winner in this scenario is his neighbour who is no doubt drilling his wife whilst he's stuck in traffic on the way back from Selhurst.

My comment was more along the lines of football pedigree in your region. How many footballers have come from the Bwighton area?

And as for the athletics dig, as it goes I was one of the few who participated in a running track invasion at the Withdean when McAnuff slapped in that late winner.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehatepalace View Post

And you'd know all about being a football town? I dont doubt youre one of the hardcore diehards SC but you're now only full because of plastics/new fans attracted by PL football

I've noticed that article is from Sept 2012, after we beat Cardiff in front of a low gate of 12000 odd. But we ended up with an average of 17000 plus that season and now SP is sold out with 25000 odd each game (I know the capacity is 26000 but it is not the Club's fault that the Police insist on a sterile area of empty seats).

Yes there are a few tourists, but with the away end of 2500+ always packed, I would argue we have only picked up 5/6000 newbies (as you call them) as I always think Palace have a hard code of about 15000 fans.

As for the athletics comment, your lot played in an Athletics Stadium for about 10 years !! (and rarely filled it).
Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 AM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
I've noticed that article is from Sept 2012, after we beat Cardiff in front of a low gate of 12000 odd. But we ended up with an average of 17000 plus that season and now SP is sold out with 25000 odd each game (I know the capacity is 26000 but it is not the Club's fault that the Police insist on a sterile area of empty seats).

Yes there are a few tourists, but with the away end of 2500+ always packed, I would argue we have only picked up 5/6000 newbies (as you call them) as I always think Palace have a hard code of about 15000 fans.

As for the athletics comment, your lot played in an Athletics Stadium for about 10 years !! (and rarely filled it).
Unless their ground is full of pensioners at least 75% are fans that have turned up since the Amex was built.There last average of even 10k was around 1990 So to pretend they are all returnees is bollocks.
Fact.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Good grief. Weeds talking about plastic fans. They didn't fight sufficiently strongly or perhaps skillfully to protect their ground from being turned into Toys R Us. Then they failed to sell out the 9,000 capacity Withdean for the vast majority of the 13 years they were there. Then they win a few matches and get a new stadium in the green belt and their crowd trebles with the local big team, half and half scarves brigade. Fiull credit to the 1500 or so who travelled regularly to Gillingham though.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:14 AM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Good grief. Weeds talking about plastic fans. They didn't fight sufficiently strongly or perhaps skillfully to protect their ground from being turned into Toys R Us. Then they failed to sell out the 9,000 capacity Withdean for the vast majority of the 13 years they were there. Then they win a few matches and get a new stadium in the green belt and their crowd trebles with the local big team, half and half scarves brigade. Fiull credit to the 1500 or so who travelled regularly to Gillingham though.
The fans that went to Gillingham every week are more committed than I would have been ,probably would have done most but not all.I would like to think if we had played at Croydon arena I would have gone every week though.No problem with those fans it is the new age lot that look down on the 90% of clubs they think are tinpot.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Agreed. Those that went to Gillingham, fair play to them.

I don't know any Bwighton fans. Living in SE London I just don't get an opportunity to meet any, so my opinion is made from the Tarquin element that festoons this and their messageboard. Not a great sample, agreed, as messageboards are not a true reflection of a fan base. The only other time I see them is when we play and, let's be honest, that's not the time or the place and then the rozzer and a malfunctioning Tarquin sat nav (Clapham/Anerley) means the chances of meeting some in a public house to talk about the merits of Gary O'Reilly are few and far between.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 AM
and Sainsbury's

wehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewehatepalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
Agreed. Those that went to Gillingham, fair play to them.

I don't know any Bwighton fans. Living in SE London I just don't get an opportunity to meet any, so my opinion is made from the Tarquin element that festoons this and their messageboard. Not a great sample, agreed, as messageboards are not a true reflection of a fan base. The only other time I see them is when we play and, let's be honest, that's not the time or the place and then the rozzer and a malfunctioning Tarquin sat nav (Clapham/Anerley) means the chances of meeting some in a public house to talk about the merits of Gary O'Reilly are few and far between.
palace burst into the pub mob handed. "right you c##ts let's fu##in have it....... What's your opinion on Gary O'Reilly, Eric Young and Neil Smillie?"

Don't think that will work on matchday

Last edited by wehatepalace; 12-04-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 AM
and Sainsbury's

Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
The fans that went to Gillingham every week are more committed than I would have been ,probably would have done most but not all.I would like to think if we had played at Croydon arena I would have gone every week though.No problem with those fans it is the new age lot that look down on the 90% of clubs they think are tinpot.
That is genuinely one of your best ever posts. Not that the benchmark is that high!

I went 7 times to Priestfield in those dark days, was doing more aways back then. West stand B block STH through all withdean years, STH at amex. I was never locked out of Withdean but feel for the 1000s' that were

Last edited by wehatepalace; 12-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
I know loads of Brighton 'fans' who have started going in the last year or so. Including quite a lot who never previously showed any interest in football. I also personally know of at least 12 season ticket holders who support Premier League teams but live locally and so have a season ticket. Obviously the new stadium generated a lot of local interest in the club from people who previously didn't really care. That's hardly surprising.

I don't really get why there is even an argument about this. Clearly all those people who go to Falmer now but didn't go to the Withdean are new/fair weather/whatever the hell you want to call them fans. And clearly all Premier League clubs have their fair share of tourists and glory hunters turning up. It goes with the turf. Some of them may end up sticking around should the worst happen, bitten by the bug. Many of them won't. None of it is really relevant as the only way to measure how well or badly a club are doing is by their performances on the pitch.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 AM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
My take on it . We have a few tourists and a few returnees. They have customers who support other teams but as bwighton are the local team they go to see some footer.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 AM

loz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
palace burst into the pub mob handed. "right you c##ts let's fu##in have it....... What's your opinion on Gary O'Reilly, Eric Young and Neil Smillie?"

Don't think that will work on matchday
Although I am sure we all agree about Glenn Murray.....Is there any other player held it such joint high regard? (even more so than the mentioned in the post copied )
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM
and Sainsbury's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
I know loads of Brighton 'fans' who have started going in the last year or so. Including quite a lot who never previously showed any interest in football. I also personally know of at least 12 season ticket holders who support Premier League teams but live locally and so have a season ticket. Obviously the new stadium generated a lot of local interest in the club from people who previously didn't really care. That's hardly surprising.

I don't really get why there is even an argument about this. Clearly all those people who go to Falmer now but didn't go to the Withdean are new/fair weather/whatever the hell you want to call them fans. And clearly all Premier League clubs have their fair share of tourists and glory hunters turning up. It goes with the turf. Some of them may end up sticking around should the worst happen, bitten by the bug. Many of them won't. None of it is really relevant as the only way to measure how well or badly a club are doing is by their performances on the pitch.
Yep 100% right, but its always Palace that accuse us of being plastics, when as pointed out in the linked article above and confirmed by SC, Palace is also made up of many of the same types.
When you were mid table championship, playing in your own ground it was often only half full, now its full, but its only Brighton that has plastics?
I dont argue there are many "new" fans but you also have a fair share of the same.
Whatever anyone's arguments against new/plastics is, there are benefits. There's shit loads of young kids at games now, something that was mainly missing during the wilderness years, when I guess a generation was lost to the big 4 TV fans. It was certainly not cool to be a Brighton fan for a 6-10 year old. These local young kids with their dads (who maybe might have followed someone else as a kid) are starting to follow the club on the up today. Just like I did as a local youngster in the early/mid 70's when taken by my non Albion supporting old man who grew up in a different part of the country. And as all diehards know, once its in the attending kids blood, thats it for life. They may later change job, houses, or even the Mrs (I did all 3) but they'll always be Brighton fans.

Just need to indoctrinate them in all things anti-palace, how Mullery owned Allison and all those boxing day stuffings dished out at the Goldstone and voila the wheel keeps turning
Old 12-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz View Post
Although I am sure we all agree about Glenn Murray.....Is there any other player held it such joint high regard? (even more so than the mentioned in the post copied )
Calvin Andrew?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:40 AM
and Sainsbury's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereichstuff View Post
My take on it . We have a few tourists and a few returnees. They have customers who support other teams but as bwighton are the local team they go to see some footer.
Of course thats your take, you're deluded. 10,000 returnees? Nothing to do with fitting a narrative?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM
and Sainsbury's

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz View Post
It aint Stephen Dobbie thats for sure! Dave Sexton played for both in the 50's but a bit before my time. So yeah, Muzza has been a cult figure for both.

Though Stevie Coppell is very highly thought of down here, a real gent and true football man, got them playing and nearly pulled off a miracle with bugger all money. (note to self: don't mention Andy Johnson or that awful Selhurst Park away day when you were desperate to go home but couldn't get out)

Last edited by wehatepalace; 12-04-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
We've always pulled in a 20,000 crowd, the interest has always been there - I think every season for over 20 years. Even when we were dog shit.

We got relegated in 2004, and then averaged 20k that season.Then Peter Taylor came in and people were literally handing their season tickets back... That was the only time I ever thought about just not going. I think I preferred the losing every week, to the bore fest he conjured up.

What was he like at Brighton? I played in the inaugural REMF game - and he was your manager then.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:42 PM

Eagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

If we're an athletics suburb what does that make you Lol, you do remember what Cloughie said about Brighton don't you
Old 12-04-2017, 12:51 PM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Of course thats your take, you're deluded. 10,000 returnees? Nothing to do with fitting a narrative?
Our average was 17,000 in the championship add the away fans and a few returnees then we are at full capacity but you knew that didn't you . May I ask why you've suddenly appeared on here and why you went awol ?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
I was never locked out of Withdean but feel for the 1000s' that were
I assume that statement was made tongue in cheek !!??