Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 25-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Goodbye baseball!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
My first ever game.

As an aside I've seen a few bits with Fashanu particularly that Celebrity SAS thing and he has absolutely no remorse even now for the way he treated his brother, the bloke is a grade A **** as far as I am concerned.
Old 25-10-2020, 06:24 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Here’s an interesting little article from the programme that day. It’s celebrating one of our director’s appointment to the Nigerian national football board. His son of course was to become quite a name in politics....Chuka Umunna.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 25-10-2020, 06:32 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Funnily enough I used to be in quite regular contact with Chief Ben's wife Patricia through work - she was a lawyer.

As mentioned this result meant that we'd reached the end of October still undefeated in the league, stuff beyond our wildest dreams. I recall looking forward to our next match, away to the Wankers at the Theatre of Wanks, with relish. We had won there last year and also drawn at home, not to mention pushing them all the way in the cup final. This season we had clearly progressed as a unit and sat above them in the table, and there was no real sign that this Ferguson guy was going to find the magic formula which had eluded his predecessors for the past 25 years. It seemed we had a great chance of extending the unbeaten run, what could possibly go wrong?

Also noted from the team sheet for this match that there is still no sign of McGoldrick and thus the classic 90/91 Palace line up has not yet been unleashed.
Old 25-10-2020, 07:41 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My memories of this game were also of the Fashanu 'baiting'. My memory from there on the Whtehorse is slightly different in that while it was more piss-takey - almost pantomime stuff rather than vitriolic.

Wrighty stroked Fashanu's hair at one point and Fash laughed it off.

The Fashanu goal was a) a classy finish and b) well deserved for the stick he'd been given.

Scoring went 0-1, then 3-1 to Palace, Fash made it 3-2, Palace made it 4-2 before Paul McGee rounded Martyn with a few minutes left and walked the ball home to make it 4-3. Very entertaining game on a sunny autumnal afternoon. I just love those days at Selhurst as the sun sets over Croydon.

As a footnote I was at a Gillingham v Torquay game a couple of years later and saw Justin Fashanu cop a whole load of similar stick and, just like his brother before, he also responded with a goal, although it was actually even better than John's. A lob from miles out to wrap up the three points for Torquay and I couldn't help but admire his fortitude.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 25-10-2020 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typing corrections
Old 25-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
I also really remember the Andy Gray goal - seems to have to wait ages before it sits right for him, with Segers looking like he’s thinking ‘Oh ****, he’s going to muller it at me’.
I was dead in line with that behind the goal. One of those great moments where you know a full 2 seconds beforehand that a goal is coming.

Armstrong v Southend & Millwall in the same week in 94 were also in this category.

Andy Gray at Millwall in March 1990 was a similar scenario.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old Today, 08:40 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
On 30 October 1990 we returned to League Cup action with what should have been an easy enough home tie against lowly Leyton Orient. I think they were still in their period of just being called 'Orient' at that time, and they were languishing in the third division ('league one' to you youngsters) with no sign that they were a sleeping giant about to awaken.

The match didn't turn out as expected, we laboured to a 0-0 draw which meant a replay at their place the following week (no penalties kids!). I'm afraid this game has not lingered in the memory but I'm confident it was a stinker and we didn't exactly miss a hatful of chances. Odd that we could be flying so high in the league and yet we come back down to earth in a home cup game against a team two divisions below us. I look forward to seeing our line up but I'm sure it was close to a full strength side as usual.
Old Today, 09:15 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
On 30 October 1990 we returned to League Cup action with what should have been an easy enough home tie against lowly Leyton Orient. I think they were still in their period of just being called 'Orient' at that time, and they were languishing in the third division ('league one' to you youngsters) with no sign that they were a sleeping giant about to awaken.

The match didn't turn out as expected, we laboured to a 0-0 draw which meant a replay at their place the following week (no penalties kids!). I'm afraid this game has not lingered in the memory but I'm confident it was a stinker and we didn't exactly miss a hatful of chances. Odd that we could be flying so high in the league and yet we come back down to earth in a home cup game against a team two divisions below us. I look forward to seeing our line up but I'm sure it was close to a full strength side as usual.
Don't remember those games at all. As a complete aside, I see that we played Orient 11 times between 1974 & these League Cup games in 1990, those 11 games producing only 7 goals!

We then beat them 4-2, again in the League Cup, to rather arrest that sequence.
Old Today, 09:41 AM

stange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestange555 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

I went to the replay - but that's next week so I'll keep quiet for now!
Old Today, 10:22 AM
Goodbye baseball!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

I remember listening to the replay on Capital Gold whilst trying to go to sleep. Completely forgot it went to a replay to be honest.
Old Today, 10:37 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
The 4-3 Wimbledon game was a belter. They scored two great goals and like others I distinctly remember the stick Fashanu got before his great goal.

I would also have been at the 0-0 Orient game but don't recall a single thing about it.
Old Today, 12:11 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Probably one of the most memorable games of the season, in part to it being televised. Remember hearing a lot of praise from neutrals after that as our play that day was very eye catching despite conceding three. Wimbledon were like that - they never gave up.

But it felt we’d really come of age. Ten league games unbeaten - still only 4th mind, with somehow Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs also undefeated. But there was a swagger and class about us that really made people sit up and take notice. We were finally being taken seriously.

As mentioned, this game is also remembered for John Fashanu and the continuous cat calls every time he touched the ball. There was a break in play for treatment at one point and watching from the Whitehorse, I saw Ian Wright walk behind Fash just around the centre circle. He then cheekily started pinching Fash’s bum continuously while looking round at the Whitehorse grinning from ear to ear. Fash was slapping Wright’s hand away very forcefully and was clearly not happy with being teased. The fans that spotted it were obviously laughing along. It just sounds so horrible now talking about it and it really was a bygone age.

The real victim of course was Justin mind, not John, who didn’t support his brother in such a monumental moment in his life. He did offer to pay Justin whatever he was getting from The Sun in order not to sell his story and reveal his sexuality but Justin refused. I believe John was furious and didn’t talk to him after the news broke.
I bet Ian Wright would be ashamed of that these days. Awful.
Old Today, 12:58 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Rumbelows Cup 3rd Rd

PALACE 0
ORIENT 0

Att: 12,958

PALACE: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Hodges. Subs: Barber (for Hodges). Pardew (unused)

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old Today, 01:05 PM

I reckon I could recall something about nearly every Palace game I’ve ever been to since the late 70’s...this isn’t one of them. I literally cannot recall going, being at or going home from this match.

It seems Glyn Hodges went off injured just before half time with ligament damage. This was to be the second to last time he started a match for the club.

Notice from the programme team sheet that Terry Howard played for Orient. We had him on loan in Coppell’s early years and I recall that he impressed somewhat and was sad to see him return to Chelsea.

- John Peel