Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 18-05-2019, 01:57 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
How many managers in the country do you think would have held off that title challenge by Liverpool, winning over 12 games or whatever it was on the bounce? The guy is paid 15, 20 million quid a year - why, simply because he can manage a few egos?

I wish a bang average, or even just a decent manager was put in charge of a Man City or Barcelona, to put this absurd notion that practically anybody can win with world class players to bed. Mark Hughes, David Moyes, even Roy all had quality players at their disposal at big clubs, and they all underachieved.
Or even look at Pellegrini, who I think is a better than average manager based off what he achieved at Malaga, Villarreal and Real Madrid to some extent. Compare what he achieved at Man City to what Guardiola has done so far.
Old 18-05-2019, 02:27 PM

TouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
I dont think that is really the case, despite using the same words a(more as a retort) and a number of posts pointing out some issues with him.

Having observed a session myself (invited not spying...) and just speaking to some of the coaching staff etc. He has really changed the mindset as well as some practical issues around the structure of training, playing systems and so on. Whether he could improve on that if he stayed or if that would stay in place if he did go, I have doubts. Not sure it is failure per se, if this is an indication of progress .

Anyway, as pointed out, he doesn't hang around enough normally to find out
The goal for this season was likely promotion, so I guess in a strict sense that could be classed as a failure. However, like you allude to, he has done things to transform the club and has them challenging for promotion again for the first time in about 15 years, so that's probably seen as genuine progress. They've already stated that they want him to stay, I think, which wouldn't be the case if the season was seen as a complete failure.

I don' care if Leeds get promoted, if fact I'd probably prefer they didn't, but for the neutral, they're one of the best teams to watch. That last game vs Derby may have been the best (non-Palace) match of the season.
Old 18-05-2019, 02:46 PM

TouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacemetros View Post
Now ask him to take a club like Palace with a pretty dismal youth set up and around 50 million to spend over two years, with a hugely reduced wage budget and I honestly don't think he'd be able to achieve any more than Hodgson has done. There are quite a few decent managers about and he falls into that category, as does ours.
If this is the case, and Pep and Roy (as much as I love Roy) are comparable in terms of managing ability, why is Pep managing Manchester City and Roy managing Crystal Palace?

Man City, Bayern and Barcelona compared to us, Liverpool and Fulham. Are these big clubs really that clueless, where they're paying someone 20 million a year, when they could get the same result from paying Roy much, much less?

Sean Dyche has gotten Burnley promoted twice, kept them in the league for several years, reached Europe with a very average squad and a comparatively meagre budget. Do these achievements suggest to you that he'd do a good job of managing Real Madrid?
Old 18-05-2019, 02:57 PM

PHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Wrong forum.

Why are you still here?
Why are you here what do you contribute ?
Old 18-05-2019, 03:07 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
How many managers in the country do you think would have held off that title challenge by Liverpool, winning over 12 games or whatever it was on the bounce? The guy is paid 15, 20 million quid a year - why, simply because he can manage a few egos?

I wish a bang average, or even just a decent manager was put in charge of a Man City or Barcelona, to put this absurd notion that practically anybody can win with world class players to bed. Mark Hughes, David Moyes, even Roy all had quality players at their disposal at big clubs, and they all underachieved.
Manchester City were able to hold off that challenge in part due to the fact that they could replace De Bruyne with Bernardo Silva. They could leave Sane on the bench and play Mahrez. They have a good enough squad to be able to field two teams in the Premier League and pretty much guarantee two top 6 (probably top 4) places. Their title challengers this year could not say the same. Hughes didn't have that squad, Moyes didn't either. The expectation on both of them both was such that winning nothing was always going to be considered underachieving. Guardiola has yet to win the Champions League with his squad, despite that being the club's main objective. Has he not therefore underachieved? If you think Roy has underachieved at Palace, you really should have a look at our trophy cabinet and consider that statement in light of our club's history of over-achievement.
Old 18-05-2019, 03:16 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:

Sean Dyche has gotten Burnley promoted twice, kept them in the league for several years, reached Europe with a very average squad and a comparatively meagre budget. Do these achievements suggest to you that he'd do a good job of managing Real Madrid?
Not at all. Do you naturally assume that Guardiola would be able to better Dyche's achievements if put in charge of Burnley - same squad and budget?

A couple of posters have already made the point that you cannot compare the two. It's horses for courses in many respects. I repeat, I consider Guardiola is a good manager. I do not deny his successes. However, I will not fawn over him because in my opinion, he has had advantages to help him achieve that success which other good managers will never have.
Old 18-05-2019, 03:17 PM

BTW, this really is in the wrong forum!
Old 18-05-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Manchester City were able to hold off that challenge in part due to the fact that they could replace De Bruyne with Bernardo Silva. They could leave Sane on the bench and play Mahrez. They have a good enough squad to be able to field two teams in the Premier League and pretty much guarantee two top 6 (probably top 4) places. Their title challengers this year could not say the same. Hughes didn't have that squad, Moyes didn't either. The expectation on both of them both was such that winning nothing was always going to be considered underachieving. Guardiola has yet to win the Champions League with his squad, despite that being the club's main objective. Has he not therefore underachieved? If you think Roy has underachieved at Palace, you really should have a look at our trophy cabinet and consider that statement in light of our club's history of over-achievement.
Roy hasn't underachieved here, he underachieved at Liverpool.
Old 18-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Roy hasn't underachieved here, he underachieved at Liverpool.
I never doubted your sense of realism. Honestly!
Old 18-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Not at all. Do you naturally assume that Guardiola would be able to better Dyche's achievements if put in charge of Burnley - same squad and budget?

A couple of posters have already made the point that you cannot compare the two. It's horses for courses in many respects. I repeat, I consider Guardiola is a good manager. I do not deny his successes. However, I will not fawn over him because in my opinion, he has had advantages to help him achieve that success which other good managers will never have.
Like players, the managers competing at the top of the league are rightly considered the best. Pep, Klopp, Pochettino, etc. Those who are winning or have won things.

I'm sure there are players in the Championship suited to that level who could perform better over the course of a season than certain top-6 players, but that doesn't suggest they're better. Or like somebody pointed out, Warnock might be a better bet to get a squad of cloggers promoted, but again, that doesn't mean he's in any way comparable because he definitely, definitely can't cut it at the top of the game, which surely is the goal of any professional manager. If Warnock, Roy, Dyche or whoever could perform at that level, even with players like De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero at their disposal, they would be.
Old 18-05-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I never doubted your sense of realism. Honestly!
Until Roy wins the Zenith Data Systems Cup, he'll always be an underachiever
Old 18-05-2019, 04:16 PM

stumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIL BARBER View Post
Not bullshit like you
Old 18-05-2019, 07:08 PM
substitute

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
He would stay for about 6 months
Old 18-05-2019, 09:42 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
He would stay for about 6 months
To be fair that would be a lot longer than our last foreign manager.
Old 19-05-2019, 02:48 AM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIL BARBER View Post
Why. Are. You. Still. Here?
Old 19-05-2019, 04:56 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie87 View Post
Guardiola tactically exposed by poch and never won champions league with Bayern.

Hes a fraud.
This thread is becoming a bit troll-tastic.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 19-05-2019, 05:51 AM
mikeb

mikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemikeb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Frank lampard please
Old 19-05-2019, 06:10 AM
be seeing you.....

RedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRedStripe Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Da Nuge as Player Manager please - we can do a cash plus tommy black and jon Macken deal i'm sure
Old 19-05-2019, 06:36 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
FdB is unbeaten in 5 now at Atlanta.....

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 19-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned by Moderators

Stan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is here
Don't trust Bielsa. Seems a bit shifty to me.