Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 PM

QPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by New LP
Fair post and obviously most QPR fans are probably more like us than we care to admit. Personally any fans who hate Chelsea as much as you do can't be all bad!! However, there were a number of real dickheads who couldn't wait to come on here and gloat the moment Warnock, Derry, Hill decamped as Palace floundered financially a few seasons back. It was a bit strange to find this as QPR are not a club who are very high on our 'rivals' list. Throw in the Mark Hughes factor, a man who will always be dispised by Palace fans, and that probably explains a few things.

My one observation would be that Hughes has taken a club with hardworking modestly paid players with a great team spirit who won promotion on the back of this and swamped the squad with 'name' signings on big money. It's clearly not working. Furthermore, it worries me that a club like QPR don't have a serious youth system, when it is exactly clubs like them and Palace to who have produced great players over the years for the national team.
Yeah, I wasn't particularly happy with any 'gloating', "there for the grace of God...." and all that. Unfortunatley that's human nature. I'm sure there'd be a chunk of Palace fans doing the same if your club took a load of players off Brighton and then got promoted. It's the Twitter/Facebook world we live in.

I agree about the 'name' signings, it's something that concerns me too. I remember Middlesboro getting promoted to the PL, in the top half at Christmas and Bryan Robson bought at vast expense loads of name players (Ravenelli, Juninho, Emerson etc etc) who were played in place of the players that got them up and by the end of the season they were relegated and lost two cup finals.

Why is Hughes despised at Palace? I'd imagine something to do with his Man Utd days?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 PM

GDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by QPR67

Why is Hughes despised at Palace? I'd imagine something to do with his Man Utd days?
I don't think he's despised as such, just the 'orrible git who scored the equiliser in the Cup Final.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Resident Reading fan

Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen
QPR couldn't get crowds of 25k+ (they have no catchment area)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM

QPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenQPR67 has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitmen
QPR couldn't get crowds of 25k+ (they have no catchment area)
Of course we have Bloody wum-er!

It doesn't help all the kids are bloody well wearing Chelsea shirts! Fulham even have had the bare-faced cheek to advertise on Billboards on the fkin' Uxbridge Road!

Staying in the PL is so important for everything... new ground, improved attendances, reaching out to the catchment area and so on.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Crystal Parish FC

jamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yup.

But we'll see you as we pass you in May

Last edited by jamie12; 04-10-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Resident Reading fan

Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen Biscuitmen
Quote:
Of course we have Bloody wum-er!

It doesn't help all the kids are bloody well wearing Chelsea shirts! Fulham even have had the bare-faced cheek to advertise on Billboards on the fkin' Uxbridge Road!

Staying in the PL is so important for everything... new ground, improved attendances, reaching out to the catchment area and so on.
Tell me where your catchment area is then? I assume most of West London is Chelsea?

Improved attendances? The attendances have always been ghastly down at Loftus Road.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Tell me where your catchment area is then? I assume most of West London is Chelsea?

Improved attendances? The attendances have always been ghastly down at Loftus Road.
Yeah, and Elm Park was jammed pack wasn't it. Attendances improved when you got a new stadium, so why can't it for us?

Catchment area? well, as we're west London, so that's Shepherds Bush out towards Uxbridge and beyond almost into Berkshire. Pretty much the A40/M4 corridor.
Chelsea (and Fulham) are South West London. That's Wandsworth, Putney, Roehampton, Merton, Hersham, Walton and so on.

BTW... why did you try and adopt "London Calling" as your song? Last time I looked, Reading weren't in London.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Crystal Parish FC

jamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamie12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
BTW... why did you try and adopt "London Calling" as your song? Last time I looked, Reading weren't in London.
Plastic club desperate for an identity.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:
Unfortunatley that's human nature. I'm sure there'd be a chunk of Palace fans doing the same if your club took a load of players off Brighton and then got promoted.
The comparison would be you taking players of the Smellies and getting promoted.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Resident Reading fan

Quote:
Yeah, and Elm Park was jammed pack wasn't it. Attendances improved when you got a new stadium, so why can't it for us?

Catchment area? well, as we're west London, so that's Shepherds Bush out towards Uxbridge and beyond almost into Berkshire. Pretty much the A40/M4 corridor.
Chelsea (and Fulham) are South West London. That's Wandsworth, Putney, Roehampton, Merton, Hersham, Walton and so on.

I'm perhaps a little skeptical in seeing Loftus Road not full to the brim now, let alone with a new stadium. Your right in saying that Elm Park was never bursting either, but we were kicking around the lower reaches of the Football League.

To be fair to the QPR fan, I was trying to catch him out, as I know QPR have a fair few fans out this way.

I've never heard of us adopting 'London Calling' as a song, so apart from that being down right rubbish, we do have our own identity, admittedly not a very well known one.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Justin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I wouldn't be so convinced that Fernandes is as wealthy as many of you seem to think.

For the record I have never liked QPR, ever since the early 80s. Them and Clive Allen, 2 twats of the highest order.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Red with brass buttons

Jordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is here
Non-one likes Mark Hughes. Sullen, bitter, egotistical buffoon of a man. JAT
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's Jacket
Non-one likes Mark Hughes. Sullen, bitter, egotistical buffoon of a man. JAT
he must have friends in high places though, awful manager who keeps somehow cropping up with top jobs
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM

eagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I agree about the 'name' signings, it's something that concerns me too. I remember Middlesboro getting promoted to the PL, in the top half at Christmas and Bryan Robson bought at vast expense loads of name players (Ravenelli, Juninho, Emerson etc etc) who were played in place of the players that got them up and by the end of the season they were relegated and lost two cup finals.
The key part here is probably 'Bryan Robson'.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nice to read from posts from a decent, sensible QPR fan.

I knew there had to be one, somewhere.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I'm perhaps a little skeptical in seeing Loftus Road not full to the brim now, let alone with a new stadium. Your right in saying that Elm Park was never bursting either, but we were kicking around the lower reaches of the Football League.
The problem with Loftus Road is there are many "restricted", "severely restricted" and "can't see fk all" seats. These rarely get sold, apart from maybe Chelsea and Man U as who wants to pay 25/30 (they drop the prices for these seats but it's still a lot) to sit behind a post? West Ham only took the upper tier on Monday and even then there were plenty of empty seats. Personally, I don't blame them for not taking both tiers when QPR were charging them 48. It's a joke. The ticket price should've been no more than 35. 48 x 1,681 (which is how many they brought) = 80,688. 35 x 3,300 (away end capacity) = 115,000. So, we've lost money by not reducing the prices and filling the away end. Yes, we had home fans in the lower tier but it wasn't full.

There are other factors as well such as the lower Loft being a family stand and you can only get a ticket if you bring a kid. There are plenty of people who don't have kids but want to go but can't unless they drag a friends/family members kid along. If they can't, then they can't get a ticket. It's silly really as both the fans and the club are losing out by this policy.

The fans are out there.... 50,000+ at the 1986 Milk Cup Final which I think is unofficially the highest number of post WWII fans from one club at the old Wembley. We had 30,000 for the Division 2 play-off final at the Millennium Stadium in 2003. Had it been at Wembley I'm sure we could have taken 40,000 easily. (Brentford took 10,000 the season before for the same divisional play off final) and we have taken big numbers to other notable games.

As said, Loftus Road is showing its age. Not just with restricted view seats but with catering, toilets and so on. If people are going to pay 35-45 a ticket I'm sure they'd rather do it in a newer ground than at Loftus Road as present, as much as we love the place.

In its last season, Elm Park's capacity was 14,500 and you averaged 9,000. The first game in the Madjeski (yes, lower division I agree) was an impressive 18,000. Where did these fans come from all of a sudden? Why didn't at least 5,000 of them go to Elm Park? Apart from the initial 'new stadium excitement' I think the attendances maintained a healthy level. This completely shows that people are happy to be in pleasant surroundings than a dilapidated ground.

I see no reason why this can't happen with us.

(BTW, did you know a QPR season ticket holder was very senior in the project of building the Madjeski stadium?!)

You also have to understand we have not one but TWO other Premier League clubs 3 miles and 3.5 miles from Loftus Road. NO OTHER club in the country has that competition so close. Liverpool & Everton are probably the next like this. Norwich's closest Premiership rival is Spurs, 120 miles away. On top of that, there are about 13 League clubs in London so we're all vying against each other for support. You have, what, Oxford & Swindon? It's easier for you to draw fans from going to those grounds because you're the only PL club in the area and in a much better stadium than them too.

I know London has denser population but not everyone goes to football. London has the highest immigrant population in the UK but again, they may like football but don't all go. I see many places of Arabic, Turkish etc origin with people sitting outside smoking Shisha's all watching Premiership football on TV.

So any notion that London clubs should all have huge attendances by ratio of its population is just not true.

Last edited by QPR67; 05-10-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Resident Reading fan

I can't dispute most of those facts (although I thought Reading held the record for most fans at the Old Wembley at 47,000 for the Simod Cup Final, I might be wrong though)

I'm actually trying to get tickets for our meeting at the Loft next month, but I was quite alarmed at the 47 price tag to watch us play the fake hoops. I know it is putting off one or two people, normally QPR is the in-demand away game of our season (when we play each-other of course) but ticket sales could be limited this time around (we'll still sell-out I think)

Elm Park had a capacity of 12,000 due to the state the ground was in, but most fans would still love to be there (albeit with some major improvements) because, mainly, it had great pubs nearby. That is a great characteristic of Loftus Road, near the tube and near some good drinking establishments as well.

To be fair, Reading do have a very large and dense catchment area, but the lure of Chelsea down the road does have an affect. Oxford and Swindon don't really count for anything because the longer they stay down the basement divisions, we'll continue to encroach onto their turf.

Last edited by Biscuitmen; 05-10-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I can't dispute most of those facts (although I thought Reading held the record for most fans at the Old Wembley at 47,000 for the Simod Cup Final, I might be wrong though)
We definately had over 50,000 for the Milk Cup final.

Quote:
I'm actually trying to get tickets for our meeting at the Loft next month, but I was quite alarmed at the 47 price tag to watch us play the fake hoops. I know it is putting off one or two people, normally QPR is the in-demand away game of our season (when we play each-other of course) but ticket sales could be limited this time around (we'll still sell-out I think)
47 is too much, at that price I could understand if the away end doesn't sell out. Crazy money.

Quote:
Elm Park had a capacity of 12,000 due to the state the ground was in, but most fans would still love to be there (albeit with some major improvements) because, mainly, it had great pubs nearby. That is a great characteristic of Loftus Road, near the tube and near some good drinking establishments as well.
Yeah, Loftus Road is great in that respect much like many old grounds. The down side of the edge-of-town grounds is they're a pain to get in to, a pain to get out of and nothing much really to do other than go in. Which is what they want as the club would rather we spent money on food & drink at the ground than elsewhere

Quote:
To be fair, Reading do have a very large and dense catchment area, but the lure of Chelsea down the road does have an affect. Oxford and Swindon don't really count for anything because the longer they stay down the basement divisions, we'll continue to encroach onto their turf.
Chelsea is hardly down the road. They're sad glory hunters.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 AM

Henfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
We definately had over 50,000 for the Milk Cup final.

47 is too much, at that price I could understand if the away end doesn't sell out. Crazy money.

Yeah, Loftus Road is great in that respect much like many old grounds. The down side of the edge-of-town grounds is they're a pain to get in to, a pain to get out of and nothing much really to do other than go in. Which is what they want as the club would rather we spent money on food & drink at the ground than elsewhere

Chelsea is hardly down the road. They're sad glory hunters.
If You live in Reading, Everything is just down The Road
Old 06-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Crystal Parish FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henfield Eagle
If You live in Reading, Everything is just down The Road
If you live in Reading, you should be wondering why you're alive... Grim place.