Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: How will VAR impact on your watching of Palace games?
It will make it less enjoyable 156 82.54%
It will have no real impact 21 11.11%
It will make it more enjoyable 14 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Wort View Post
I posted a link to an editorial piece in the New Scientist from June last year in another VAR thread.

It just about sums it up for me, and I think it is worth reading:

"Since the league debut of video-assisted refereeing, or VAR, in Australia in April 2017, a series of leagues have allowed their matches, the matches whose gravity they consider sacrosanct in other circumstances, to be fodder for a reckless experiment that deals specifically with the incidents that most affect the outcome.

The results have been disastrous. Implementation has been inconsistent and disruptive. Decisions take too long to reach, a problem often compounded by a lack of communication to supporters in the stadium.

Yet verdicts have been every bit as debatable as before, with decisions left incorrect, or, worse, incorrectly overturned. Major mistakes have happened in the very matches the technology lobby would identify as too important to not have VAR. Even supporters who back VAR do because they think it will come good, not because they believe it’s ready.

It’s none of this that exposes the folly of its use on the biggest stage of all, at the World Cup starting this week. VAR’s greatest flaw is its rationale. This is football’s latest attempt at perfection it doesn’t need, shouldn’t want and can never achieve.

VAR critics don’t oppose progress for the sake of it. We love football for its essence, for the joy it gives, not for ever more clinical policing of its details. For shades of doubt, not the tyranny of the freeze frame. VAR is incompatible with football because it’s applied to subjective in-game moments that don’t always have a right answer. For FIFA and the International Football Association Board, however, the bodies that control such things, football is too serious a business to allow for the endearing errors of sport.

It’s a losing battle. Already in the tournaments where it has been used, the idea that VAR should only be used to correct “clear and obvious error” on behalf of on-pitch officials is being abandoned in favour of over-reliance on a second opinion.

Is the juice of marginal – and debatable – improvement worth the squeeze on football’s unique character? For all its riches, all the infrastructure it commands, all the cultural value it offers, football is a game. Every once in a while we should remember how absurd it is that we take it so seriously. It’s the best game in the world, but it’s still a game. That’s precisely why it’s beautiful.
"

Chris Nee, New Scientist, June 2018
Good analysis. Thanks for posting.
Old 25-06-2019, 09:31 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
The goal line technology thing is alright. You'd never be sure celebrating one of those before the technology which now removes any element of doubt. But I don't like this var business at all.
Old 25-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
For one thing, in comparison it's going to be a pleasure watching my local non-league team, where we can enjoy a good laugh and moan about the ref and linesmen 'getting it wrong'!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 25-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
If you're a fan of stop/start sports then it's great. It's not suited for football though and now we're stuck with it.
Old 25-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Another good piece on VAR:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

References to the delights of watching non-league football are spot on.
Old 25-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
The goal line technology thing is alright. You'd never be sure celebrating one of those before the technology which now removes any element of doubt. But I don't like this var business at all.
Still think an extra couple of linos, and maybe one appeal per team per half would have been great. Better use of an extra body then the one they have behind th egoal in European matches.

I'm not convinced by VAR for accuracy with such marginal off sides, but you may as well just suck it up and accept it. I suppose.
Old 25-06-2019, 09:44 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
The new true celebration is going to be a decisive opposition goal being ruled out via VAR.
Old 25-06-2019, 09:50 AM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Football is over, no more proper spontaneous celebrations ever again.
Old 25-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Just needs to be used as a 'decision contesting feature' and not actually running the game. Let each team have a referral each half, if it's correct you keep it, if it's wrong you lose it. Let the refs and assistants ultimately make the decision and for those that the players feel strongly about they contest it. Just like in cricket.

The likes of Dele Ali diving for a penalty, the defender will contest it if there was no contact were it given or Ali won't be referring a dive knowing there was no contact if it wasn't given. Rather than have a minute or 2 of replays to ultimately get to the same outcome. Let the refs run the game, and let the captain question any wrong doing. Hardly a difficult concept.

Referees are going to let far more go with VAR to bale them out of any wrong decision. There is no need to be 100% in their decision making, because they get a second or even 3rd bite at the cherry, if the VAR refs aren't sure. If anything, referee performances will simply become less consistent, eventually making them redundant but for blowing a whistle.
Old 25-06-2019, 10:22 AM
Evicted fron E Block

Andy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I thought that the proponents of VAR made great play of how it would eliminate the controversial decisions, leading to a fairer and better game.

From watching the womens' World Cup these past few weeks, as far as I can see, it's stirred up even more controversy and has not improved the game at all. All it's done, as others have said, is ruin the flow of the game and add around 7-8 minutes to each half.

Either the powers that be sort the way VAR is used out so it delivers the hype they promised, or it should be junked completely.
Old 25-06-2019, 10:25 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
Football is over, no more proper spontaneous celebrations ever again.
its not over its just the game we have grown up on has changed for ever

It just won't be as good
Old 25-06-2019, 10:36 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
I know it was debatable but over 5 minutes between the pen being awarded in the USA v Spain yesterday and VAR giving the decision.

And don't get me started on the lino raising his flag for an offside after the 'play' has completed.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)

Last edited by dave_who_ru; 25-06-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 25-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
And don't get me started on the lino raising his flag for an offside after the 'play' has completed.
Annoying but actually complete common sense with VAR.
Old 25-06-2019, 10:46 AM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
Annoying but actually complete common sense with VAR.
Not when it's clearly miles offside
Old 25-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
Not when it's clearly miles offside
True, and the miles offside ones should be given immediately. But many decisions are more marginal; millions of eyes (and a hell of a lot of money) riding on it being correct. VAR makes it a natural consequence to err on safety or look a dick (or twat).
Old 25-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Location: Village of Shepherdswell, which is between Dover and Canterbury.
pots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I would be totally against VAR, if I could trust refs to be unbiased, in my years of watching football nothing comes close to that horrible feeling when watching a game, when the ref is clearly bias, I hope that VAR at least will prevent this, although I am not convinced it will.
Old 25-06-2019, 11:44 AM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
True, and the miles offside ones should be given immediately. But many decisions are more marginal; millions of eyes ( and a hell of a lot of money ) riding on it being correct. VAR makes it a natural consequence to err on safety or look a dick (or twat).
And there's the problem.

Footballers also make mistakes that could cost millions.
Maybe one day we will have automated footballers so that costly mistakes can be eliminated.
Old 25-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
I know it was debatable but over 5 minutes between the pen being awarded in the USA v Spain yesterday and VAR giving the decision.

This. Drives me mad.
Walter's piece is a great analysis of what actually happens with VAR. My experience of it is such I wish it had never been invented.
By the way - it doesn't entirely remove bias towards the big clubs - many incidents remain a matter of opinion, however many times you see them.
Old 25-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Surprised its taken this long for a thread like this

Football has been around for years, innovations come along and enhance it, never more money in the game nor interest yet to tinker with it to this extent is going to kill it.

This is purely designed for the TV market. What other world do you treat the paying customer (fan in ground) with such disrespect? They/we are going to be treated as imposters by the TV market.

Those in the Whitehorse, or at back of the Arthur/Old Stand wont be able to see the screen.

That moment of joy when a goal is scored will be gone because PVA tugged the opposition player back in the corner flag when regaining possession before another 7 or 8 patterns of play resulted in a goal.

Is this really what people want?

Enhancements are supposed to increase the enjoyment, increase attendances, this certainly wont despite us being told 'the right decision' was achieved.

And that is before we analyse the mess that is the way it has been used so far.

Last edited by Harry Holmesdale; 25-06-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 25-06-2019, 02:35 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
For one thing, in comparison it's going to be a pleasure watching my local non-league team, where we can enjoy a good laugh and moan about the ref and linesmen 'getting it wrong'!
I said pretty much to myself while watching Haiti v Costa Rica in the Gold Cup last night which did not have VAR.

There were two penalty incidents, one given and one not given... it felt old school watching it, and far more enjoyable.

Having said that, I did find myself wondering what VAR would have made of both incidents... maybe I'm falling into their trap already?