Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 24-06-2019, 08:15 AM

mrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe View Post
There quite a bit about 'stall' on the Egghead forum. It's something to do with that temperature being when various chemical reactions happen.
I have not done a pork butt / pulled pork yet although pork is my favourite meat on the Egg. Want to try a long piece of belly low and slow soon.
Cheers for the advice all, i still have a lot to learn but will definitely attempt again soon

On a positive note i also have smoked some salmon, prawns and chicken thighs which all turned out delicious
Old 24-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrB View Post
Cheers for the advice all, i still have a lot to learn but will definitely attempt again soon

On a positive note i also have smoked some salmon, prawns and chicken thighs which all turned out delicious

You can't enjoy salmon any other way after smoking it yourself. Did you cook it on a plank? That's on my 'to do list'.
Old 24-06-2019, 09:21 AM

mrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
You can't enjoy salmon any other way after smoking it yourself. Did you cook it on a plank? That's on my 'to do list'.
Don't know what a 'plank' is but i did this method;

Cleaned and dry brine in the fridge (salt, sugar) for 4 hours, wash.

Smoked over apple wood until 120 degrees fht

Honey glaze until internal temp hit 140

Cooked around 225 degrees although i struggled keeping the thing from getting too hot, had the vents almost completely closed
Old 24-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH View Post
Still looking to do a game bird(cue the puns)but having trouble finding anything suitable.
Jut seen this. Unless you’re happy to use frozen game you’re not going to see any until mid August when grouse become available. In September duck, snipe and partridge can be added to the list and finally from October pheasant and woodcock come into season.

And it’s all over by the end of January.
Old 24-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Don't know what a 'plank' is but i did this method;

Cleaned and dry brine in the fridge (salt, sugar) for 4 hours, wash.

Smoked over apple wood until 120 degrees fht

Honey glaze until internal temp hit 140

Cooked around 225 degrees although i struggled keeping the thing from getting too hot, had the vents almost completely closed
First, that sounds great. Brining is a very popular method for chicken as well.
I really like the crispy skin, so tend to place the fish strategy on the grill.

With olive oil, s&p and a bit of lemon juice on the skin it reminds me of Mediterranean holidays.

However, another route is to cook them on a wood board, see this link : To view the link you have to Register or Login

Balancing the heat is a bit of an art (or massive guesswork and luck on my part), different charcoals behave in a different way. However, the introduction of air will quickly reignite them.

What's your 'highest score' not the thermometer? I have spun right around past the 400 degree C mark - to what I assume was 500 degrees. That was not intentional - but fun nonetheless. Seared the steaks and it took ages to cool down with the vents closed.
That's when I usually chuck a couple of chickens on to have during the week in salad.
Old 24-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
My first attempt at burnt ends was a failure.But I salvaged a decent meal out of it.
Ended up with beef n beans which tasted great and the meat was tender and at the same time had some lovely chewy bits.It will be repeated

Beef had a Levi Roots Jamaican rub with added cayenne pepper.

Next Saturday I will be doing a duck,any rub/marinade suggestions welcome as long as they don't involve orange

'Must spread rep.....'

Looks good my friend. I have limited experience of the dry rubs, mostly mixed marinades from BBC Food and BGE cookbook.

Have a look here : To view the link you have to Register or Login They seem to have a lot of the US and European rubs, not commonly seen. Dizzy Pig its very popular and I am tempted to pop in there when next that way on business.

Is it a whole duck or breasts you are doing?

Don't forget the pics...
Old 24-06-2019, 01:37 PM
a bit peckish

PIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Jut seen this. Unless you’re happy to use frozen game you’re not going to see any until mid August when grouse become available. In September duck, snipe and partridge can be added to the list and finally from October pheasant and woodcock come into season.

And it’s all over by the end of January.
Cheers for that blind;was in Makro yesterday and couldn't resist picking up a Gressingham Duck.
Will be Saturdays dinner
Old 24-06-2019, 01:38 PM
a bit peckish

PIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
'Must spread rep.....'

Looks good my friend. I have limited experience of the dry rubs, mostly mixed marinades from BBC Food and BGE cookbook.

Have a look here : To view the link you have to Register or Login They seem to have a lot of the US and European rubs, not commonly seen. Dizzy Pig its very popular and I am tempted to pop in there when next that way on business.

Is it a whole duck or breasts you are doing?

Don't forget the pics...
Will have a nose at that when I get home.Its a whole duck,will be a real light smoke
Old 24-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Great thread this! Have just bought myself a landmann smoker and intend to have my first go this Saturday. My 8 year old loves pork ribs so am going to give that a go.

Any advice for a beginner in terms of a rub and cooking time etc? Looking to use apple wood for the smoke. Can’t wait!
Old 25-06-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglez View Post
Great thread this! Have just bought myself a landmann smoker and intend to have my first go this Saturday. My 8 year old loves pork ribs so am going to give that a go.

Any advice for a beginner in terms of a rub and cooking time etc? Looking to use apple wood for the smoke. Can’t wait!
Not my strength area, but I found this a useful pointer: To view the link you have to Register or Login

Scan YouTube and the Egghead forum for cooking tips - might be forums for offset smokers too?
Cook by internal temp, rather than time. Bones act as a heating element and will continue the cook when resting the meat, which is an important stage in the cook. I always want food hot, but (slowly) training myself to leave the meat for a decent period to let all the flavours come forward.

I have learned to start things early to build in a time cushion at the end, because you can't rush smoking. And the smell wafts around for even longer.

The rule is; 'if your are looking, you're not cooking', so minimise peeking.

You can certainly taste the effect of wood chips. I find soaking them more effective - as I am adding direct to charcoal. Try soaking in beer rather than water, too. Booze barrel chips are available as well.

My Mrs got me a 'smoker box', which is effectively a heavy duty tin with holes in the top. It holds the chips and stops them burning. She's a keeper.

And don't forget to add pics of your cook.
Old 25-06-2019, 07:32 AM
a bit peckish

All of what Jerry said and a couple of other bits.
I'm fairly new to this meself but would advice caution with the wood,start small and let the amount of wood build as you get used to the flavour.We found oak to intense so prefer a more subtle flavour like cherry/apple.Will try others as we find them.

Re ribs,as Jerry said.Low and slow but one point to remember.On the underside there tends to be a thin membrane (some butchers remove this,some don't)Start in the corner and lift a small part,then with a blunt knife and some tissue(makes it easier to grip)gently pull the membrane away.Makes the ribs so much better to eat.

Find a good butcher and enjoy the discovery
Old 25-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglez View Post

Get a dual probe thermometer - this is the most important thing you can do. If you don’t know the internal temperature of the meat, everything else you do will be irrelevant - until you have done it for 30 years and have become a gnarled smokehouse guru who can tell whether meat is done using the force.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 25-06-2019, 07:42 AM
My source from Ocean Park

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

I do some of the trout I catch using Scandinavian alder. Depending on the venue trout being a freshwater fish will often have a muddy flavour, the smoke being a much stronger flavour overrides this.
Old 25-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Eaglez has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Thanks to all for the guidance and tips. I’ll give it a good go on Saturday and let you know how I get on.
Old 27-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Tramps like us baby

SgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSgtStryker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Stepped it up a notch and ordered a suckling pig, 10kg and looks the business.
Saw a YouTube thingy and he suggested stuffing with pulled pork and stuffing. I’ll keep you posted, cooking Sunday.
Old 28-06-2019, 06:50 PM
a bit peckish

Quack,Quack

To view the link you have to Register or Login

The bird is ready for the Joe,doing the beer can method and will be eaten with flat bread and corn.Some sort of sauce will be added at that stage
Old 28-06-2019, 06:59 PM
a bit peckish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtStryker View Post
Stepped it up a notch and ordered a suckling pig, 10kg and looks the business.
Saw a YouTube thingy and he suggested stuffing with pulled pork and stuffing. I’ll keep you posted, cooking Sunday.
Get a few pic's up of that fella,sounds great.How big is your egg/joe.The reason I ask is because I looked at a suckling pig in Makro but didn't think it would fit in my large joe.

I look forward to the result,knowing I shall try it
Old 29-06-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Get a few pic's up of that fella,sounds great.How big is your egg/joe.The reason I ask is because I looked at a suckling pig in Makro but didn't think it would fit in my large joe.

I look forward to the result,knowing I shall try it
Very much me too. Full details and pics, please. Don't hold back.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:44 AM

Got a good tip from a butcher, a fellow low & slow fan, yesterday for dry rubs etc;
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 29-06-2019, 07:33 AM

sam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldsam bater was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
If anyone’s interested I have a pit boss bought 9 months ago that I am looking to get rid of hasn’t been used just haven’t got the time with a young family PM if interested