Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 04-05-2018, 11:01 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
What are your top ten Punk/New Wave singles?

Don't know if we've had this before.

1 Ambition - Subway Sect
2 Puppet Life - Punishment of Luxury
3 White Riot - The Clash
4 Drums Over London - Disco Zombies
5 Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys
6 New Rose - The Damned
7 Dot Dash - Wire
8 Totally Wired - The Fall
9 Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
10 You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory - Johnny Thunders
Old 04-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
So many to choose from but for starters, and with a tiny bit of goalpost moving,...

Nice 'n' Sleazy - The Stranglers
Babylon's Burning - The Ruts
Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus
Kings of the Wild Frontier - Adam and the Ants
Floorshow - Sisters of Mercy
Ceremony - Joy Div/New Order
What a Waste - Ian Dury
Submission (b-side) - Sex Pistols
Sensoria - Cabaret Voltaire
Oh!Bondage - x-Ray Spex
Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
1. Something Better change - The Stranglers
2. Complete Control - The Clash
3. Israel - Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees
4. Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
5. Judy is a Punk - The Ramones
6. Ulternate Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers
7. Another nail in my heart - Squeeze
8. Gut Feeling - Devo
9. Butterfly Collector - The Jam
10. Teenage Kicks- The Undertones
Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM
lay me down.

matayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
1. Something Better change - The Stranglers
2. Complete Control - The Clash
3. Israel - Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees
4. Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
5. Judy is a Punk - The Ramones
6. Ulternate Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers
7. Another nail in my heart - Squeeze
8. Gut Feeling - Devo
9. Butterfly Collector - The Jam
10. Teenage Kicks- The Undertones
Teenage kicks is da bollox.

Selhurstparkflyer.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:32 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Seeing Am Phibians list, I have to have an X ray spex and an Ian Dury track;

11. Identity - X Ray Spex
12. Hit me with your rhythm stick - Ian Dury and the blockheads
Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Seeing Am Phibians list, I have to have an X ray spex and an Ian Dury track;

11. Identity - X Ray Spex
12. Hit me with your rhythm stick - Ian Dury and the blockheads
I'd argue with 12. It was a great rock and roll song. Not punk.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
I'd argue with 12. It was a great rock and roll song. Not punk.
The list is New wave and Punk.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
The list is New wave and Punk.
But not rock and roll.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
But not rock and roll.
I classify Ian Dury as New wave.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I classify Ian Dury as New wave.
He wouldn't.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
He wouldn't.
It is my list not his.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It is my list not his.
Ask the remaining Blockheads what they think.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:53 AM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Blimey. You trying to take my Mr Curmudgeon crown?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Norman thinks you are being pedantic!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:56 AM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If you want to be picky, HMWYRS is a funk tune, certainly not rock & roll. And Ian Dury definitely part of the New Wave
Old 04-05-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Blimey. You trying to take my Mr Curmudgeon crown?

I'll never wrest that crown from your ageing, bony old fingers.

I think a lot of songs during the punk/new wave era can be mistaken for falling under that category but that'd be wrong.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
They are free to come on here and proffer there own lists.

Can we just agree Ian Dury and the Blockheads were bloody good and just avoid arguments over Categorisation?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's View Post
If you want to be picky, HMWYRS is a funk tune, certainly not rock & roll. And Ian Dury definitely part of the New Wave
And not for nothing known as the Godfather of Punk
Old 04-05-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
They are free to come on here and proffer there own lists.

Can we just agree Ian Dury and the Blockheads were bloody good and just avoid arguments over Categorisation?
Absolutely.
A great London band.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
White man In Hammermith Palais - The Clash
Promises (woah oh) - The Buzzcocks
I'm Stranded - The Saints
Love Song - The Damned
Pump It Up - Elvis Costello
Life Begins at the Hop - XTC
Shot By both Sides - Magazine
California Uber Alles - Dead Kennedy's
Burn my Eye - Radio Birdman
Owe us a Living - Crass

Could easily come up with a second list and decide it was my top 10, not this one.