Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 09-01-2019, 02:19 PM
*Contents: Hydrogen, Time

Random* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Funny thing about devolution, is that everyone says they support it. And then they complain about 'postcode lotteries' in the provision of services.
Services are managed at a national level: "They don't pay attention to our local needs!"

Services are managed at a local level: "It's a postcode lottery!"

People will moan whatever - all forms of government are terrible. You just have to find the least terrible one.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:48 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
I completely disagree. My MEP is so for a huge area, i have never met them, i have never corresponded with they, i have no need for them.

They cannot in any way be compared to my MP who i have met and have corresponded with.
I didn't say we'd have 1 MP for a huge area.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
My last contact with my MP was via email a couple of weeks ago
Old 09-01-2019, 03:01 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
I didn't say we'd have 1 MP for a huge area.
But you proposed reducing the number of MPs didn't you?

Which would have that effect, not as much as MEPs but still larger than now.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Climbing for dollars

Quote:
But you proposed reducing the number of MPs didn't you?

Which would have that effect, not as much as MEPs but still larger than now.
No, no I didn't.

I said we could evolve the model used during MEP elections to ensure areas have an allocated MP.

E.g. we could have PR across a large South East region to elect the same number of MPs as are currently elected and assign them specific areas (equivalent to a constituency)
Old 09-01-2019, 04:56 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
No, no I didn't.

I said we could evolve the model used during MEP elections to ensure areas have an allocated MP.

E.g. we could have PR across a large South East region to elect the same number of MPs as are currently elected and assign them specific areas (equivalent to a constituency)
Apologies, it was Random who said that.

I would worry with your suggestion how that would work on a local level.

How many countries have true PR? I would be keen to hear how it is seen to work well elsewhere. I think Greece has PR but allocates an additional 50 seats to the biggest party. Last years election would have not given an overall majority to any party and coalition difficult but the result before (the Tories whilst having a majority got less votes) would have meant a very difficult coalition with UKIP i think.

One argument that has been used in favour is it means coalitions and government by consensus but also that extremer parties would be marginalised. I think you could see some fringe parties gain real influence (to a greater extent than the DUP currently) if we went down that route.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Climbing for dollars

Good point, look at the mess UKIP caused
Old 09-01-2019, 07:49 PM
*Contents: Hydrogen, Time

Random* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Last years election would have not given an overall majority to any party and coalition difficult but the result before (the Tories whilst having a majority got less votes) would have meant a very difficult coalition with UKIP i think.
I think you're making a big mistake assuming both the political party landscape would be the same under PR and that people would vote the same way.

PR would lead to the larger parties fracturing into smaller ones simply because doing so wouldn't do the damage it currently does. Right now if the Conservatives or Labour split down the middle it would make them lose many many seats as they will split their vote in most constituencies.

Doing so under PR has less of an effect, both parties would end up with half the members. So you end up with more parties of a more nuanced political position.

Quote:
One argument that has been used in favour is it means coalitions and government by consensus but also that extremer parties would be marginalised. I think you could see some fringe parties gain real influence (to a greater extent than the DUP currently) if we went down that route.
Actually I think that it means that extreme parties are more likely to get representation. For me that's fine, if that's what people want to vote for then at least they feel listened to and represented rather than disenfranchised.

But it will also be balanced out because there will naturally be representation on both extremes, mostly cancelling each other out.