Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 01-04-2019, 12:29 PM
It's a goat Don

Il Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Eu settlement

My mum moved to England in 1947 from France and has been here ever since. As far as I can work out, both her and my Nan (who is 91and in a cere home), must apply to stay in the uk. Is that correct?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Concession/Adult

9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Madness if true.

I am sure she has contributed more to the UK than most!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
As I understand it, it is correct.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
But would it simply be just a formailty/paperwork? Should be the case, surely.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:50 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Have they not sorted this out before now? If your Nan is in a council-run care home and possibly receiving some sort of benefits, then I would have thought she’s already had to prove her entitlement to qualify for this. So she might have done more about her status here than you know?

A quick read of the Govt sites suggests it’s comparatively straightforward to apply for Settled Status given how long your mum has been here.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Ancient history but what were the arrangements before 1973? Surely there would be some kind of grandfathering provision.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Freedman9 View Post
Madness if true.

I am sure she has contributed more to the UK than most!
I agree with the first sentiment but what's your reasoning for the second part?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
She has brought a Palace fan in to the world. It’s enough for me.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
If they have been here prior to FOM from the EU do they have indefinite leave to remain? If they do they don't need to apply for settled status do they?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
If they have been here prior to FOM from the EU do they have indefinite leave to remain? If they do they don't need to apply for settled status do they?
You would think so.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Middle class left.

After the Windrush fiasco, I am pretty certain people are going to be looking for explicit, written guarantees from the British govt on citizenship and settled status - they have demonstrated that they are not to be trusted.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
May simply be a straightforward formality. Look at the Windrush debacle. Let's not repeat that.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Evicted fron E Block

Andy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
My mum moved to England in 1947 from France and has been here ever since. As far as I can work out, both her and my Nan (who is 91and in a cere home), must apply to stay in the uk. Is that correct?
I am afraid that your suspicions are most likely correct.

My wife holds an Italian passport. She came to the UK in 1968, and has lived and worked here ever since. In the first years of her residence, she had to roll up to Lunar House every couple of years to renew her details, until the mid-80s, when presumably the immigration officals got bored of seeing her turn up, and stamped "bearer has permanent right of residence in the UK" in her nice green passport.

She's now retired after paying into the UK taxation system for 40 years, and is the recipient of a UK state pension. So you'd think that she's deemed to be a decent upstanding member of the UK community, even though she is still an Italian citizen.

Given all the uncertainty around the status of non-UK nationals post Brexit, I thought I'd better check up my wife's situation, so got in touch with Lewisham Council (who have set up a Brexit helpdesk for this).

Upshot is, yes, despite all of the above my wife is now deemed to be a pesky foreigner who can't be trusted, and she will have to register for this "settled status" designation.

When I queried this, saying that she had been granted permanent right to remain over 30 years ago, the nice Lewisham lady's response was - and I quote - "well, I wouldn't bank on that having any value these days - just look at the Windrush fiasco".

The one thing that the council did say was that in the event of a revocation of Article 50, then this might all go back up in the air as theoretically, we would still be signed up to the FoM provisions of the EU charter, so it is all still a bit vague. However, given that this Tory government will do anything to placate the rabid right of their party, I can't see them rolling over and abandoning their current stance on non-UK nationals any time soon.

What a mean-spirited, intolerant and nasty country we are becoming...
Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
We could just remain and not have to bother with this nonsense.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
After the Windrush fiasco, I am pretty certain people are going to be looking for explicit, written guarantees from the British govt on citizenship and settled status - they have demonstrated that they are not to be trusted.
You mean like indefinite leave to remain written in your passport?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:59 PM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Have they not sorted this out before now? If your Nan is in a council-run care home and possibly receiving some sort of benefits, then I would have thought she’s already had to prove her entitlement to qualify for this. So she might have done more about her status here than you know?

A quick read of the Govt sites suggests it’s comparatively straightforward to apply for Settled Status given how long your mum has been here.
Straightforward and Government you say.

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Rome View Post
I am afraid that your suspicions are most likely correct.

My wife holds an Italian passport. She came to the UK in 1968, and has lived and worked here ever since. In the first years of her residence, she had to roll up to Lunar House every couple of years to renew her details, until the mid-80s, when presumably the immigration officals got bored of seeing her turn up, and stamped "bearer has permanent right of residence in the UK" in her nice green passport.

She's now retired after paying into the UK taxation system for 40 years, and is the recipient of a UK state pension. So you'd think that she's deemed to be a decent upstanding member of the UK community, even though she is still an Italian citizen.

Given all the uncertainty around the status of non-UK nationals post Brexit, I thought I'd better check up my wife's situation, so got in touch with Lewisham Council (who have set up a Brexit helpdesk for this).

Upshot is, yes, despite all of the above my wife is now deemed to be a pesky foreigner who can't be trusted, and she will have to register for this "settled status" designation.

When I queried this, saying that she had been granted permanent right to remain over 30 years ago, the nice Lewisham lady's response was - and I quote - "well, I wouldn't bank on that having any value these days - just look at the Windrush fiasco".

The one thing that the council did say was that in the event of a revocation of Article 50, then this might all go back up in the air as theoretically, we would still be signed up to the FoM provisions of the EU charter, so it is all still a bit vague. However, given that this Tory government will do anything to placate the rabid right of their party, I can't see them rolling over and abandoning their current stance on non-UK nationals any time soon.

What a mean-spirited, intolerant and nasty country we are becoming...
Becoming?? Become surely?

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:
You mean like indefinite leave to remain written in your passport?
Just give them a British passport.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Just give them a British passport.
Have they been refused one?

I know someone who has indefinite leave to remain, they could get a British Passport but haven't bothered. That should not be free though, it should be the same price as for anyone applying for a British Passport.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:27 PM

kevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Have they been refused one?

I know someone who has indefinite leave to remain, they could get a British Passport but haven't bothered. That should not be free though, it should be the same price as for anyone applying for a British Passport.
Indefinite leave to remain does not mean you can have a British Passport. For that you need citizenship. And that's another £1200, on top of the fees already paid just to get the ILR (likely already over £2000).