Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in the local elections on May 2nd?
Conservative 8 6.15%
Labour 32 24.62%
Liberal Democrat 33 25.38%
Green Party 16 12.31%
UKIP 6 4.62%
Independent 9 6.92%
None of the above - I'm saving myself for May 23rd (Euros) 6 4.62%
None - they're all arseholes 20 15.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Not sure we have any and not sure I can be arsed anymore. I live in a commuter town where the local MP is Chris Grayling, who was returned with an even bigger vote at the last general, despite causing so much inconvenience for so many of the electorate.

What's the point when a dog turd wrapped in a blue rosette would walk it round these parts?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 PM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Good luck SE25.. do you have a feel for your chances?
Pretty high chance methinks. Will know tomorrow after the count at 2pm.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I always find it depressing that people follow National party lines when voting for the best local council.
Why? People who represent parties invariably believe in those parties' values, whatever level they stand at. If your vote at national level is values based, there is no reason why is shouldn't be the same for elections at any level.

Locals are a mixed bag of dog shit and bins, values based voting and national signalling.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
Pretty high chance methinks. Will know tomorrow after the count at 2pm.
Good luck, let us know how it goes!

I stood in the locals last year and ended up missing by a couple of hundred votes. It was a hell of a slog, but all very rewarding (despite not winning).
Old 02-05-2019, 01:16 PM

loz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
East Grinstead, the home of the hang 'em, bash 'em and flog 'em tory.
You say that like its a bad thing !!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_snacks View Post
Why? People who represent parties invariably believe in those parties' values, whatever level they stand at. If your vote at national level is values based, there is no reason why is shouldn't be the same for elections at any level.
Why? Because often you can have a local councillor who is excellent at representing his or her local community, so much so that their party alignment is an irrelevance.

I can think of at least two local to me.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 02-05-2019, 02:26 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:
Why? Because often you can have a local councillor who is excellent at reading representing his or her local community, so much so that their party alignment is an irrelevance.

Trying to think of this Labor Councillors name in the last elections who was interviewed on Sky and god did this man make sense,he was actually for the all people rather than an ideology or to just achieve power at any cost for his party..Will have to search the last thread on local elections to find his name.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:05 PM
100% behind SP

Quote:
Why? Because often you can have a local councillor who is excellent at representing his or her local community, so much so that their party alignment is an irrelevance.

Sometimes, but not always - especially in one party state authorities. If you have a good local Cllr, you are lucky indeed.

Values will manifest themselves over a 4 year cycle. I could vote for my local councillors if I thought they did a good job (they don't). But even if the bins are collected, fly tipping is cleared and the local parks pleasant, my local councillor is never going to support Dubs, is never going to press for more social housing and is never going to support a drive towards greater transparency and accountability in the Council.

The latter things are just as important. More so, in fact.

If you have a Councillor who does all of the above, or whatever floats your particular vote boat, I'd suggest either the councillor is in the wrong party, or you're supporting the wrong party in general elections.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Apparently we are voting in Reigate & Banstead. Not that my poll card turned up (in case anyone else is in the same boat).
Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 PM

CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!CPFC Since 68 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
[QUOTE=Brett;14747971]Apparently we are voting in Reigate & Banstead. Not that my poll card turned up (in case anyone else is in the same boat).[/Q

Waste of paper when you don't actually need it to vote.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Binned by Muderators

Tellers breaking the law again over the Tattenhams and Senior Presiding Officer not taking a blind bit of notice of the complaint. Always makes me laugh when we criticise the way foreign elections are run when tellers stand outside telling voters it's a legal requirement to disclose your voter number to the Conservative party.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I find it pretty impressive that people are willing to give up time to help run local services. Politics is such a nasty hate filled thing in these days of social media. I know of really decent people who give time to public service who've been smeared and abused by vile trolls.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
Seven seats up for election on our Parish council, with nine candidates, and I am one of them standing as an independent.
Fingers crossed for you.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
One of the candidates here was suspended because of three posts made on Facebook. One was a history of the following, another was about Sadiq Khan, and the third was a anti-Burqua thing.

Apparently they were “taken out of context”.

Anyhue good riddance.

The Lib Dem’s suspended someone as well (reasons not known) and Labour are getting grief for outright lies in their campaign pamphlets

It’s clearly a quality field.

Which is a little sad as it is a pretty well run council on the whole.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:53 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
quite bizarre in Horsham district council at the last local election all but four councillors were tory (2 x lib dec and 2 x independent) this time labour are claiming that only they can beat the tories in Horsham. Such BS is depressing.

SaulAlinsky
Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Binned by Muderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
quite bizarre in Horsham district council at the last local election all but four councillors were tory (2 x lib dec and 2 x independent) this time labour are claiming that only they can beat the tories in Horsham. Such BS is depressing.
Labour and the independents didn't even bother sending us a leaflet. The less said about the blue vermin claiming they were local people the better.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 PM
100% behind SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
I find it pretty impressive that people are willing to give up time to help run local services. Politics is such a nasty hate filled thing in these days of social media. I know of really decent people who give time to public service who've been smeared and abused by vile trolls.
Agreed. What is worse, is that is that budding politicians are put off from entering public service because of something they said on social media eons ago. People are scared of their past. It's mental.

People say stupid shit in the pub, stupid stuff whilst at football matches....we are all growing up all the time. Something we said or did an age ago should not define who we are. How we respond to that is what matters.

I have much more respect for a human being who has been incredibly stupid and made mistakes, realised that and atoned, than a faceless automaton who has never aggrieved anyone.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
True. However, I do wonder why they bother.

Local authorities have been so denuded of funds and power that their main function is supervising the companies who now deliver the services.

Local authorities have become little more than contract compliance organisations.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Binned by Muderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
True. However, I do wonder why they bother.

Local authorities have been so denuded of funds and power that their main function is supervising the companies who now deliver the services.

Local authorities have become little more than contract compliance organisations.
Itís way worse than even that. Upper and middle management have escaped the cuts and they problem is they are all too scared to rock the boat and jeopardise their pensions. They are all too old and risk averse. So contractors come in and take massive buckets of piss with zero scrutiny or oversight. Itís even worse in my game in IT - never tender because there is no-one left to convert systems.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Iíve arenít voting on the IOW which as we have the worst group of inept local councillors I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with, is a shame. I hope the conservatives take one hell of a beating but at the same time want labour to feel hard done by. Both main parties are shite.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018