Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in the local elections on May 2nd?
Conservative 8 6.15%
Labour 32 24.62%
Liberal Democrat 33 25.38%
Green Party 16 12.31%
UKIP 6 4.62%
Independent 9 6.92%
None of the above - I'm saving myself for May 23rd (Euros) 6 4.62%
None - they're all arseholes 20 15.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Obviously my post is a little lighthearted but in reality do local elections ever give any clue whatsoever to how things pan out at a GE?

I fully endorse your sentiments re the Tories and Labour but we are creatures of habit, and I sense that people feel they can vote more freely at local and European elections but return to the tribal nature that FPTP encourages at GE's. Electoral reform is badly needed.
Do we need electoral reform or do we, as an electorate, need to reform our behaviours?

The point of FTPT is to avoid idiocy by having two dominating parties that represent a wide spectrum of views but tend to the middle. If one party goes idiot, then the idea is the other one doesn’t go idiot and wins. So we don’t get idiots and the middle position dominates. There are two flaws with that. One what happens when both parties go full idiot. That shouldn’t happen because when one goes full idiot the other should recognise that and not go full idiot and win easily. The other floor is a huge lack of choice, because the middle should win again and again and again and again and again. In essence the coalitions that dominate PR have already happened in the two main parties before the election.

We’re in a unique scenario where both parties have gone full idiot. If we want to stop that we should abandon them.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
Any early signs on your own efforts SE25?
I hope he is successful and the first thing he does is sack the people who do the vote counting, the lazy ****ers, 2PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
Pretty high chance methinks. Will know tomorrow after the count at 2pm.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 AM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz View Post
Parish council is uncontested here and I only had the choice of Con or Lib on the county council, ...

That's why there should be a 'none of the above' option to indicate participation in the electoral process. Spoilt paper and no-show are not acceptable alternatives.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:53 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
I know it isn’t this, I really do, but whenever I hear Parish council in my mind I think of arguments about who mows the village green and who tends the church graveyard. Those arguments get tasty, and someone assaults someone else with a cup of milky tea and a half dunked rich tea biscuit.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:55 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Do we need electoral reform or do we, as an electorate, need to reform our behaviours?

The point of FTPT is to avoid idiocy but having two dominating parties that represent a wide spectrum of views but tend to the middle. If one party goes idiot, then the idea is the other one doesn’t go idiot and wins. So we don’t get idiots and the middle position dominates. There are two flaws with that. One what happens when both parties go full idiot. That shouldn’t happen because when one goes full idiot the other should recognise that and not go full idiot and win easily. The other floor is a huge lack of choice, because the middle should win again and again and again and again and again. In essence the coalitions that dominate PR have already happened in the two main parties before the election.

We’re in a unique scenario where both parties have gone full idiot. If we want to stop that we should abandon them.

The problem is that we are seeing that once each party becomes 'full' idiot' it encourages the original mentals they already contained to become even greater mentals who feel they have a divine right to become the puppet masters ie ERG and Momentum.

So yes we as an electorate need to change, but unfortunately we are showing that we are too dumb to do it, as it appears a meme posted on FB is far more appealing, convincing and less headache inducing than using critical thought.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:55 AM

Skin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Seems like Brexiters stayed home (possibly waiting for Farage's mob to get on the ballot paper) and Remainers have decided that Tories and Labour are both useless, which is arguably worse news for Labour as the Conservatives would have expected to recieve only a tiny amount of votes from Remainers, although Conservatives are in a shit load of trouble long term, who is going to vote for them?

Whatever you think of the party nationally Lib Dem councils are usually well run so good for them with their gains.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 AM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
Listening to the radio this morning after 2 pro remain parties have the best results."This shows we need to get on with Brexit."

Uh?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
Listening to the radio this morning after 2 pro remain parties have the best results."This shows we need to get on with Brexit."

Uh?
Both Labour and the Tories need brexit to not be an issue any more. That’s what they mean. We cannot have this destroying us any more. Once it is done then we can get back to our traditional battlegrounds. That’s what McDonnell means but it could as easily be a Tory Brexiter spouting those words.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
All our local candidates were local people who have played a part in the local community - public service, running societies, school governers etc. Sadly, not as many put themselves forward these days and only the Tories had candidates for all three positions.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 AM

BillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Lib Dems have overtaken Tories where I live in Epping. I’m anti Brexit and so want to vote accordingly in the European elections (East England). What are people’s thoughts on the best way to do this? Lib Dems or TIG? Anybody know of any poll data about who is likely to do better? Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
Lib Dems have overtaken Tories where I live in Epping. I’m anti Brexit and so want to vote accordingly in the European elections (East England). What are people’s thoughts on the best way to do this? Lib Dems or TIG? Anybody know of any poll data about who is likely to do better? Thanks
Such a shame that they have not found a way to work in harmony on this at the European elections.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:09 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
The parties in Kent didn't seem to be making any headline promises such as to campaign for free travel at 60 like in London, more generous funding like they get in Scotland or perhaps free school buses for semi-rural communities, so you can see why national issues like Brexit seem to predominate. The free school buses would help families in neglected counties at the moment in life they really need it.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
The Tories are not going to change their position on Brexit to remain. Not ever. So basically if you want to remain the best chance of getting it is getting Labour to change their policy. And that means hurting Labour at the ballot box, because changing policy from within is exceptionally difficult now Corbyn’s lot have taken control of everything.

In the European elections, it depends who is standing where you live. If we have a general election before Brexit is not resolved, I would imagine given budgetary constraints of the Lib Dems and Change you may well see an electoral pact of sorts and the decision will be made for you.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:19 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
Any early signs on your own efforts SE25?
Verification of votes starts at 10am this morning for my ward and parish, then the count follows and the results given after 2pm. I am hoping to be there and will feed back as soon as I can on here. North Devon has gone to the LibDems from NOC, by the way, and we are adjacent to them.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 AM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
Verification of votes starts at 10am this morning for my ward and parish, then the count follows and the results given after 2pm. I am hoping to be there and will feed back as soon as I can on here. North Devon has gone to the LibDems from NOC, by the way, and we are adjacent to them.
Good luck!!
Old 03-05-2019, 08:27 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
No polling data that I can find (I’m in the same region). You might want to see if anyone aggregates the local election polling for the region. For the ones I have seen East Herts went to the Lib Dem’s, North Herts hasn’t declared yet.

Personally I am holding off making a decision until closer to the time. If Change look like they are going to make a serious push then i’ll Go that way, if not then Lib Dem.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:34 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
All our local candidates were local people who have played a part in the local community - public service, running societies, school governers etc. Sadly, not as many put themselves forward these days and only the Tories had candidates for all three positions.
We had the opposite on our parish council, only 1 Tory on the ballot paper to even make it a contest. Full paper for the borough but that will stay Lib Dem.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
I know it in all likelihood wont happen, but would anyone else like to join me in laughing themselves to death if JRM loses his seat at the next election?

Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Contrary to the thought earlier in the thread that last night shows there is no support for Brexit parties the last few EU polls show that is wholly wrong.

YouGov poll out earlier this week for The Times had figures of:

Brexit - 30%
Tory - 13%
Labour - 21%
Lib Dem - 10%
Change - 9%
Green - 9%
UKIP - 4%

These council elections will have no bearing on the 23rd if that goes ahead.

Opinium for last Sunday's Observer was:

Brexit - 28%
Tory - 14%
Labour - 28%
Lib Dem - 7%
Change - 7%
Green - 6%
UKIP - 3%

The general picture is that Brexit is likely to be the largest party, that will hurt the Tories most who will be in 3rd place behind Labour. Lib Dems, Greens and Change will split the remain vote.

At the moment those parties with a Brexit stance, Tories, Labour and Brexit are polling closer to 2/3 of the vote. We know that not all Tory voters and Labour voters will be leavers and will still vote their colour regardless but i am not so sure the outcome remainers expect of a surge for remain parties and justification of a referendum of revocation is going to happen based on the polls.

Last nights result have gone as expected.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
The success of the Greens seems to include areas in which I wouldn't have expected to do well, or am I misreading something?