Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: 4-4-2 or 4-3-3?
4-4-2 16 44.44%
4-3-3 20 55.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-05-2019, 08:35 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
Why do people keep suggesting Meyer as playing behind the striker, when that wasn't his position when we bought him and he has been reliably reported(I believe) to not like it or believe that to be his best role?

No idea if he can do that role but interested why people are deciding he can?
I have no idea. The obsession with wanting to build a side around a player in the attacking midfield position that hasn't played in said position for years and apparently doesn't want to play there either is baffling to say the least.

If people want improved home form it can be done in the 4-3-3 or the 4-4-2, but with more attacking players in the positions. It doesn't require a change in formation, just look at the champagne football at the end of last season. And perhaps a more recent example of what can be done would be the precedent set in our penultimate match vs Cardiff. Zaha and Townsend as wingers plus 2 up front. It shocked me as it's not Roy's style, but that is perhaps the way to go at home if teams are going to continue to sit back: 2 wingers and 2 strikers. It will be interesting to see if Hodgson is willing to 'let the horses run free' a little more at home. He needs to take the brakes off for at least half the home games imho.
Old 20-05-2019, 09:17 AM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
LOL to who suggested wingbacks
Why? many of the most successful teams play that system and make it a success. The key to it working is having the right players to carry it out, clearly you refer to FDB and his Palace experience but ask yourself when appointed did the Board not know what they were getting and what style to expect, but also what was needed to carry it out successfully. Why it did not succeed and you will come up with reasons like the lack of the right players to carry out that system, not being supported by the Board for bringing in the players needed, to confound it all then he is sacked after FOUR games says it all as to why it all went pear shaped.
As for Now and my suggestions, if we were to bring in the Right players to carry out that system then there is no reason why it cant work at Palace, the FDB saga is now history and we have now moved on. As to why I suggested a Back Three read carefully my reasons as to why especially re PVA and his poor defensive play this system allows him to play what comes more natural to him, i am not saying that Roy would/should play this way its just my opinion of playing another alternative way, and do You really see it as such a bad ineffective system looking at that lineup?
I Dont, but we all have our views and opinions.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:18 PM

Yankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYankeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We essentially play both systems in reality...

4-4-2 in defence, 4-3-3 (with Wilf splitting out wide) in sustained attack.

Allowing Wilf to play higher up as an outlet along with Batshuayi (for example) is what makes the 4-4-2 a fantastic defensive option for our counter-attacking style - we have the teeth to genuinely break on teams.
Old 21-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Why play one formation? Itís not 1994. You need a fluidity where you can be playing 433 one minute but can turn into 442 the next.

For what itís worth, 433 probably works better away & 442 better at home. Our main problem this season has been being too predictable, too rigid & no plan B.
Old 21-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesy14 View Post
Why play one formation? Itís not 1994. You need a fluidity where you can be playing 433 one minute but can turn into 442 the next.

For what itís worth, 433 probably works better away & 442 better at home. Our main problem this season has been being too predictable, too rigid & no plan B.
Jan Koller is a useful Plan B
Old 21-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
Why? many of the most successful teams play that system and make it a success. The key to it working is having the right players to carry it out, clearly you refer to FDB and his Palace experience but ask yourself when appointed did the Board not know what they were getting and what style to expect, but also what was needed to carry it out successfully. Why it did not succeed and you will come up with reasons like the lack of the right players to carry out that system, not being supported by the Board for bringing in the players needed, to confound it all then he is sacked after FOUR games says it all as to why it all went pear shaped.
As for Now and my suggestions, if we were to bring in the Right players to carry out that system then there is no reason why it cant work at Palace, the FDB saga is now history and we have now moved on. As to why I suggested a Back Three read carefully my reasons as to why especially re PVA and his poor defensive play this system allows him to play what comes more natural to him, i am not saying that Roy would/should play this way its just my opinion of playing another alternative way, and do You really see it as such a bad ineffective system looking at that lineup?
I Dont, but we all have our views and opinions.
LOL
Wingbacks
Old 21-05-2019, 01:42 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
Why? many of the most successful teams play that system and make it a success.
Canít think of many these days tbh mate. Conteís teams, Arsenal this season to compensate for how awful their defence is, Spurs occasionally. Who else?
Old 21-05-2019, 04:33 PM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
LOL
Wingbacks
Oh dear is that the best answer you can come up with.
Old 21-05-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post

Canít think of many these days tbh mate. Conteís teams, Arsenal this season to compensate for how awful their defence is, Spurs occasionally. Who else?
I admit it is not a system that is as popular in the premiership as it is in Europe, but many clubs do use it quite often other than the ones you mention, i believe Man Utd, Liverpool have on occassions, Everton, Leicester, Bournemouth to name a few.
The point i was making was how best we can use PVA as we know defensively he is suspect, and feel a 3-5-2 can work well with the team i suggested and for those reasons, as i said it is a personal opinion and feel that is a well balanced team that would do well.