Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 22-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I didn’t think you’d criticise his wife AND say he had a drink problem.
I suspect you should read the thread. Odd that you should have a problem with it that Peter did not.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-05-2019, 01:57 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I suspect you should read the thread. Odd that you should have a problem with it that Peter did not.

I seem to remember Pete having a problem with it. If you accuse me of mud slinging... when I clearly wasn’t... it’s fair to point out that you’ve done it in the past... in a far more spiteful way.
Old 22-05-2019, 02:03 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
On "moralising" I guess it depends on what it's about. On a message board other people are largely anonymous. Everyone's free to post their thoughts/opinions and can expect to get those robustly challenged, but I tend to find having a pop at people's lives is a bit shit. We all do it a bit, but it's made the BBS shitter.

But the issues of the day? I think everyone's got a right to an opinion. It's the point of a message board isn't it? Trying to shut down a conversation on whether or not a politician you like is a bigot, or a man you like is a rapist, by having a pop at other posters seems a bit wanky. Playing the man not the ball and all that.

As for place of work, I don't think any worker is responsible for the actions of a government, unless they've voted for it or (for example in a dictatorship) support it. In moral terms I tend to think the choice of job is more/less moral than the location.

Thinking a teacher working in China, or an aid worker in Sudan, are morally bankrupt because of the poor human rights records of those government while a British hedge fund manager is a good sort because he stayed here in blighty strikes me a bit ridiculous.

I'm not suggesting incidentally that you can know for certain anything of the morals of those individuals just by their roles either. The aid worker might be a nonce, the teacher might have a side business fleecing local people with dodgy baby milk and the hedge fund manager might donate half his salary to charity.

At the bottom end of the pay scale (which is most people really) I'm not naive enough to think people have the luxery of choice. A lot of people simply have to take what they can get. It's easy to criticise others career choices when you haven't had to deal with their circumstances. I've seen middle class Oxbridge journalists from the guardian talking about how outrageous it is to have worked for the Sun/Mail, when I'm not sure every working class left wing kid looking for a first job in newspapers can be so discriminating.

But regardless of your choices I think we all have the right to critique our politicians, because we're all represented by them.

You made a comment about how people can be righteous when it suits them... I pointed out that you sought work from a country that had a human rights record that is atrocious... it wasn’t personal (as Maz seems to think)... just a reminder... that your hands aren’t clean either. Personally... I wouldn’t work in Saudi... it would go against my ethics. I think they’re a disgrace as a country... but I get that financially... it’s rewarding... and tax free??

I can see how that might persuade some to go out there.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 22-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Semper Idem

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Semper Idem

Quote:
I seem to remember Pete having a problem with it. If you accuse me of mud slinging... when I clearly wasn’t... it’s fair to point out that you’ve done it in the past... in a far more spiteful way.

Well, why not ask Peter if he had a problem? I did, and got a firm negative.

So a) stop making things up and b) stop mud-slinging. This whole thing only arose because a) you brought up working in Saudi Arabia* into a thread about the Tory leadership election b) you believed another poster's fibs and c) you continued to act like a div.

Tut tut. As bad as Farage.

*By the way, you are aware Peter was working in Chile. Does that fact disbar him from being able to offer a moral view on anything?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Chile? What's wrong with Chile?
Old 22-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Pinochet.

(I don't know how all-encompassing mushroom's mighty moral compass is).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
A woman at work insists on pronouncing it 'Chi-lay'. Which may be correct but just strikes me as pretentious for an English speaker.
Old 22-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Semper Idem

I had forgotten that Chilegate was thread of the year incidentally.

And, blimey, nine years ago. But top marks to AJ for reminding us all.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-05-2019, 02:25 PM

Cambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCambridge Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
It’s 32.5 today iirc
Not sure the data is sufficiently up to date? World Bank website only goes up to 2015 from what I can see.

If you look at relative poverty you can see it has been going up in recent years and has increased since 2010:

Old 22-05-2019, 02:28 PM
sleep chaser

Quote:

So a) stop making things up and b) stop mud-slinging. This whole thing only arose because a) you brought up working in Saudi Arabia* into a thread about the Tory leadership election b) you believed another poster's fibs and c) you continued to act like a div.

*By the way, you are aware Peter was working in Chile. Does that fact disbar him from being able to offer a moral view on anything?

The telltale signs that someone is losing a argument

- Nitpicking
- Insults
- Deflection/prevarication
- Straw-manning
- Goalpost-moving
Old 22-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here

This says 32.5 for 2018. Has risen in the past year but lower than 11 years ago according to this blurb.
Old 22-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Semper Idem

Quote:
The telltale signs that someone is losing a argument
I would have thought that the main sign was getting the facts completely wrong, as you continue to do. But how badly you seem to want to have an argument.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Anyway, anyone got any guesses on who will be the next Tory leader?

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 22-05-2019, 02:40 PM
sleep chaser

Quote:

“I would have thought when he embarrassed himself so much yesterday, (his grovellin' self-abasin' backtrackin' apology to Barbara was enough to make a chap wince), he would have had the wisdom to shut up today, but the bottle is a cruel mistress, (not for nothing is this man in Chile, if you get what I mean).”
Maz^

Pete’s reply

“I am somewhat offended by this: 'but the bottle is a cruel mistress, (not for nothing is this man in Chile, if you get what I mean).' If I read you correctly you are saying that I am an alcoholic. But what you mean by me being in Chile I don't know. Would you like to explain this point to me?

I think your post is downright nasty, very personal, and worthy of an offficial complaint to the Mods TBH. But for years that has been your posting style. I can't say I am surprised, but you constantly disappoint. Is this a persona that you bring to the internet or are you like this in real life? No wonder others find you strange and have no interest in meeting you.”
Old 22-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
If you accuse me of mud slinging... when I clearly wasn’t...
This is a bit silly. You clearly were.

I'd rather this personal shit got left to one side and we slagged each other off for the daft shit we write.
Quote:
You made a comment about how people can be righteous when it suits them... I pointed out that you sought work from a country that had a human rights record that is atrocious... it wasn’t personal (as Maz seems to think)... just a reminder... that your hands aren’t clean either. Personally... I wouldn’t work in Saudi... it would go against my ethics. I think they’re a disgrace as a country... but I get that financially... it’s rewarding... and tax free??

I can see how that might persuade some to go out there.

I've never worked in Saudi, though I know some people who have taught there. I also know aid workers and missionaries who have worked in countries with awful human rights records. You're entitled to think they're all scum I suppose. I don't agree, and I think your view is shite for the reasons I outlined above.

I've no interest in talking about my personal life though. As this thread shows, some will use any snipet of information they think they know about someone to try have a pop. It's made the BBS shitter IMO. People are more guarded because of it and we get less funny/interesting discussions (though fair play to people like Spindle who say **** you all I'm going to post anyway).
Old 22-05-2019, 02:41 PM
sleep chaser

Quote:
I would have thought that the main sign was getting the facts completely wrong, as you continue to do. But how badly you seem to want to have an argument.

It’s a discussion... not a argument.
Old 22-05-2019, 02:43 PM
sleep chaser

Quote:
This is a bit silly. You clearly were.

I'd rather this personal shit got left to one side and we slagged each other off for the daft shit we write.

I've never worked in Saudi, though I know some people who have taught there. I also know aid workers and missionaries who have worked in countries with awful human rights records. You're entitled to think they're all scum I suppose. I don't agree, and I think your view is shite for the reasons I outlined above.

I've no interest in talking about my personal life though. As this thread shows, some will use any snipet of information they think they know about someone to try have a pop. It's made the BBS shitter IMO. People are more guarded because of it and we get less funny/interesting discussions (though fair play to people like Spindle who say **** you all I'm going to post anyway).

If you’d prefer not to discuss you working for countries with awful human rights records, I totally understand.
Old 22-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Anyway, anyone got any guesses on who will be the next Tory leader?
The Tory system makes it interesting. In a straight vote from members Johnson wins by a mile, but they only get to vote on the top two and it's quite possible MPs will shut him out.
Old 22-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
The Tory system makes it interesting. In a straight vote from members Johnson wins by a mile, but they only get to vote on the top two and it's quite possible MPs will shut him out.
Yes, I heard an analysis recently which basically said that in every Tory leadership election there is a clear early front-runner; and that that front-runner always gets voted out and they end up with a compromise candidate.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk